THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Shiz-Nit

Babbling Farker
Okay as some of you know we are building a new home and we will be adding a natural gas grill.
Any recommendation or brands to stay away from?

I currently have a propane weber summit S-670 and it has been an awesome grill for the last 16 years.

I may go that route again just in natural gas (sure will be nice not to have to fetch propane tanks anymore).

Budget to stay under $3000

b28987b8ce211b18524bc0190a510b0f.jpg

Webers never die. A part here a part there they just keep on going and passed on to the next generation.

Nat gas does not get as hot BTU wise as propane. You can buy a NG conversion for your current Weber (New sized orifices and regulator). You can order a new one spec'ed for NG too.

Good luck with your choice.

A friend of mine just got a really nice Napoleon Grill. He is very happy with it. It isn’t natural gas, just propane. But still they look very nice.

Also Viking makes some nice grills. As does DCS by Fisher Paykel. Another friend has one of the built in DCS natural gas grills. He is very impressed with it.

All around you budget.

I might be biased, but I figured you answered your own question when you said you had a weber summit for 16 years. If something lasts that long in today’s world, why would I ever swap brands. My random logic and opinion. I understand if you want to try something new as I also sometime see the grass is always greener somewhere else! :)

Agree 100%....

BUT....

It’s also nice to have something new and different.

I’ve had a PC for years and years. In need of a new computer and I’m thinking about a Mac. Just because it’s new and different. I do a lot of photography work on computers.

I would check out Twin Eagles. Saw them on here a while back and they look nice. They don't bother putting their prices on their website so that means you must be getting a good deal.

Webers never die. A part here a part there they just keep on going and passed on to the next generation.

Nat gas does not get as hot BTU wise as propane. You can buy a NG conversion for your current Weber (New sized orifices and regulator). You can order a new one spec'ed for NG too.

Good luck with your choice.

I’ve got a 13 year old NG spec Weber Genesis, still going strong. It’s nice knowing it’ll never run out of gas.

If you shop smart I think a DCS is doable. Mine is 13+ years old and going strong. Only replaced the ceramic radiants and their holders. It just won't die.
20131231_144937.jpg

Gx7GZKGh.jpg

Last edited:
I don't think I have anything constructive to add. I have a Summit-series grill for the past 12 or so years and it works well. Some of the things I don't like about my version is the really high lid as it loses a lot of heat. It seems the newer models are not as high as mine. My sister has a Genesis model and it just seems to perform much better. I feel from a quality and performance perspective, the Genesis is a better design, but I don't think that is something you're considering. You already have a Summit, so you know the limitations. If you love it, it would seem that would be your best option.

I do want to throw one thing out there. A few months back a purchased a Mak 2. There are positives and negatives about this move. They do burn a lot of fuel, do require more maintenance than a gasser (emptying the firepot of ash), and the cooking area is reduced, but I find the cooking much more uniform than my Summit. Most importantly though is that I absolutely have smoke flavor, which I don't get on my Summit. Everything tastes remarkably improved. I even get more smoke flavor than I get in my oval. Since I got the Mak, I have not used my other smokers.

I’ll toss my recommendation in. DCS. You’ll have to look for one on sale but it’s worth the investment. I usually cook on high heat and it’s destroyed every grill I’ve ever owned up to the DCS. Going strong for 5 years and still cooks like new.

I don't think I have anything constructive to add. I have a Summit-series grill for the past 12 or so years and it works well. Some of the things I don't like about my version is the really high lid as it loses a lot of heat. It seems the newer models are not as high as mine. My sister has a Genesis model and it just seems to perform much better. I feel from a quality and performance perspective, the Genesis is a better design, but I don't think that is something you're considering. You already have a Summit, so you know the limitations. If you love it, it would seem that would be your best option.

I do want to throw one thing out there. A few months back a purchased a Mak 2. There are positives and negatives about this move. They do burn a lot of fuel, do require more maintenance than a gasser (emptying the firepot of ash), and the cooking area is reduced, but I find the cooking much more uniform than my Summit. Most importantly though is that I absolutely have smoke flavor, which I don't get on my Summit. Everything tastes remarkably improved. I even get more smoke flavor than I get in my oval. Since I got the Mak, I have not used my other smokers.

I did think about going a high end pellet smoker / grill.
But I already have a Deep South GC28 that we use for BBQ Comps and we absolutely love how it cooks and smokes.
The natural gas hook up is a plus for me I think for never having to run out of fuel.
We are also going to add a pizza oven as well.
so in the end I will have
- Natural gas grill
- Pizza oven
- Deep South GC28 smoker

But we REALLY did consider a high end pellet grill as stated (it would have been nice for comps also I guess).
and your points are greatly appreciated and noted as we are not 100% on just anything yet.

Might keep an eye out on some of these higher end retailers sites, becasue they seem to have a steady stream of damaged box items or demo units. I got a lynx sedona on a "warehouse deal" from an online retailer, price was right (less than a high end weber) and it looks very impressive on the pallet. I haven't been able to install it yet, but it looks brand new and it was less than 50% retail.

I purchased my Memphis Pro from the same company, which was marketed as a demo unit, for about $1800. So happy with that deal!

I would expect you would be happy with any of the premium brands. I would definitely go for an infrared sear burner, and a rotisserie with a dedicated burner as well.

Might keep an eye out on some of these higher end retailers sites, becasue they seem to have a steady stream of damaged box items or demo units. I got a lynx sedona on a "warehouse deal" from an online retailer, price was right (less than a high end weber) and it looks very impressive on the pallet. I haven't been able to install it yet, but it looks brand new and it was less than 50% retail.

I purchased my Memphis Pro from the same company, which was marketed as a demo unit, for about $1800. So happy with that deal!

I would expect you would be happy with any of the premium brands. I would definitely go for an infrared sear burner, and a rotisserie with a dedicated burner as well.

That's really good advise do you mind if I ask the online retailer?

I have a Blaze. It came with the house. Something is wrong with it as it doesn't get very hot. I would be pretty miffed but I almost never use it and I didn't buy it. Probably just a bad regulator. Will eventually get around to fixing it one day.

Back