THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Another idea I almost completed was to weld 1/4 coupling nuts in 3 level locations on the outside of the drum at each level ( drilled thru) I was going to place for grates. Using bolts 1/2 inch longer than the coupling nuts. That way I could twist in the bolts at the levels I wanted to use when required, the rest are sealed due to the amount of threads in the coupling nuts. My prior smoker I used bolt-thru supports and found I did not like having to tip grates to get them in/out/swap levels during cooks with meat on them. Almost lost a few meals to the coal basket as they like to roll off when tipped.
Then I saw N8man's grates using carriage bolts which also allow swapping level locations during cooks since each grate has it's own legs and sits on the lower grate if that make sense. And the legs gives you something to set the grates down on, not just the grate on the ground/table etc. I first used 5/16 but ended up going to 3/8X6 ( 3 large butts on a rack is heavy and more stable with the 3/8 in) for my flat lid, 3/8X8 for my dome lid. The 6 inch bolts give plenty of room/height for butts, chickens etc. Just not turkey's.
Just another option.
http://www.mcmaster.com/#hex-nuts/=x5s82i

This is an excellent setup. If I had to do it over I would've gone this route. Tipping grates full of meat is a pain in the a$$.

I second that. I especially like that you can set a grate on the patio / table, etc. without it picking up the "stuff" on the surface, or transferring the drippings stalactites ( or are they stalagmites? ) to the patio or table.

Thanks,

rk7i.jpg

I actually took the top grate supports out of mine and plugged the holes so that I could use these.

Have 3 grates with 3/8x4" carriage bolts for chicken, ribs etc.
I can use 2 with the flat top or all three with the Weber lid.

Also have two setup with 7 or 8" bolts for larger stuff.

Works Great!!

Sheesh. I used 3, 1/4"x20 ss bolts. I've done 40lbs of pork on the grill, with no worries it would shear.

I drilled holes spaced evenly on both sides, to act as vents, and supports when cooking larger amounts of meat, without using racks. I use 1" ceramic magnets to plug them, when it's time to stop cooking. No vent in lid. Works great.

Use a single grate, for most of our family cooks, rods and hooks ( like the PBC) when I need volume.

100_44532_zps24b05cf6.jpg

Or, whole birds on the grill.

IMG_0237_zpsd8c28470.jpg

Yes, the skin turns out crispy.

Back