Question about a Pizza Knife

midwest_kc

is one Smokin' Farker
Name or Nickame
Joel
20140716_190139_1.jpg

So there's a place here in town that sharpens knives for a lot of restaurants here in town, when they get to worn, they sharpen them one last time and sell them on the cheap. I went by there Wednesday because I needed a new brisket slicer, and in looking through there I saw this guy for $8.

I didn't know what it was, but it looked like it could probably hack away at some big hunks of meat, so I bought it, thinking I might be able to use it on fat caps on a brisket, etc. I took to Google for some info on this knife, and it turns out it's a pizza knife.

So the question is - will knives like these get sharp enough for things like trimming brisket, etc? Thanks for your help!

Awesome! I figured it would, but wanted to make sure. Yeah, I got that, the slicer, and a 10" chef's knife for $20 total. The knives are used, so they don't last forever, but at these prices, I can replace them all the time.

I like going to some local thrift stores and picking through their knives. Can find some quality ones, Henkles, Forshner etc. Bring them home and bring the edge back to new. Love sharpening and restoring good knives! people use up the factory edge and consider them to be shot.....go get a new one and start over.:doh:

That would make a good slicer but I recommend a Boning knife for prep work, big blades don't handle delicate work to well. I dress, skin, and quarter deer with a 3 bladed case stockman. It not the size of the sword its the steel that contains the magic.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CpHDftPLwcs"]Pitmaster T - Quickies - The Cut (Brisket and a Dull Knife) - YouTube[/ame] at 3:30

T,

Your taste in music is exquisite. What I learned in the video will also be helpful to me in the future, especially using the round-tipped knife to find the fat layer. Thanks for posting it.

I have posted different versions of "unbooking the meat" and one on particular was the best filmed.

Most of my fat these days is just jelly.... problem is... if you use a sharp tip and sharp knife it can easily go into the meat. I push it in with the DULL end pointed in the direction I want it to go.... If your brisket is not done to my standards it won't work as well... which means rendered into jelly.... you draw your knife leading with the dull edge and it naturally finds the fat vein because it really cannot cut into the meat.

Of course, also lately I don't even care and just slice up the whole damn thing fat and all and give it to people..... if its tender an good enough around here... people don't even care if you slice WITH the damn grain.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jy0YQDawTGg"]Against the Grain since 1932 - YouTube[/ame]

Back