Pulled Pork Finishing Sauce

This one is billed as a Rib Sauce but it gets raves every time I offer it with PP. People don't want any other sauce with their pulled pork.

Savory Rib Sauce

This is a thin and flavorful barbecue sauce that works well when applied to ribs towards the end of cooking. It can also be used as a dipping sauce served at the table. Add extra cayenne to kick up the heat..
INGREDIENTS:

* 2/3 cup chicken stock (to use the whole can just triple all other ingredients)
* 1/3 cup brown sugar
* 1/4 cup cider vinegar
* 1/4 cup ketchup
* 5 cloves garlic
* 3 tablespoons olive oil
* 3 tablespoons yellow mustard
* 2 tablespoons soy sauce
* 1 teaspoon cayenne

PREPARATION:
Pour olive oil in a sauce pan over medium heat. Add minced garlic and simmer until lightly brown. Add remaining ingredients and mix well. Simmer on low until it starts to thicken, about 15 minutes. Allow to cool. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Late to the party and not sure if it has been posted yet, but Shaq sauce is great on darn near anything. can put it together in under 5 mins. and it only gets better with age. I brought it in to work with some PP because i have a friend that likes a good vinegar sauce, i had to promise to make a batch just for him as everybody hit it hard and he only got a sample. Even those that said they did not enjoy a vinegar based sauce ate it up.

Here is the vinegar mop/finishing sauce that I use for pulled pork...

• 2 Cups Apple Cider Vinegar
  • 1/2 Cup Light Brown Sugar
  • 2 TBSP Kosher Salt
  • 2 TBSP Red Pepper
  • 1 TBSP Cayenne Pepper

This will be pretty spicy, so you can adjust the pepper as needed to your taste.

Mix it up and let it refrigerate overnight. (This is important...it really helps the flavors meld together)

This sauce really makes pork come alive. Sometimes I will use this and completely forgo any bbq sauce at all.

Also, this sauce keeps really well in the fridge.

Just reheat in covered pans in a 350 degree oven.

Yeah, the saved meat juices is the way to go, and if the meat's plenty moist, I'd go ahead and skim the fat off those juices. I just think it tastes better that way, and if you want to, you can add a bit of chicken broth, worchester, and a.c. vinegar to them. If used sparingly, those ingredients won't change the flavor, but complement it. Some folks just use apple juice, but I don't care for a lot of it.

I will second what Dave said. If you want an easy way to separate the fat, get you one of these. They make it super easy.

Back