Pork Tri Tip & Other meats (Pr0n)

R2Egg2Q

is One Chatty Farker
I've been doing a fair amount of cooking since Friday and thought I'd share some pron.

Fri AM Pig Shots for work:
IMG_1506.jpg

I saw this "pork tri-tip" in a mailer and thought (huh?) and then decided to give it a try on Saturday and cook it similar to how I cook the "other" tri-tip. I would imagine this cut of meat has a more common name that escapes me.

Cook Indirect:
IMG_1519.jpg

IMG_1527.jpg

Reverse Sear:
IMG_1539.jpg

Pulled just before 145, sliced & served after a brief rest:
IMG_1562.jpg

The pork was pretty lean but was still pretty juicy. However, I didn't care much for the "Santa Maria" rub/marinade the butcher had applied. Too salty & spicy for our tastes.

On Sunday I opened up this package of Gettin' Roasted from Big Butz BBQ:
IMG_1576.jpg

and applied it to a pork steak on the Mini Egg:
IMG_1580.jpg

IMG_1586.jpg

This was tasty and I'm looking forward to trying the rub on other meats!

For Sunday dinner I tried some Walkerswood Jerk seasoning (Mild) for the first time. Great flavor on these wings:
IMG_1592.jpg

and also cooked up a rack of lamb:
IMG_1591.jpg

Another birthday at work today so this morning, some more wings (some rubbed with Big Butz Chicken Dust & a little SM Sweet Seduction and some with the Walkerswood Jerk seasoning). I got lazy & took cell phone pics instead of using my DSLR on these:
IMG_0412.jpg

IMG_0417.jpg

IMG_0420.jpg

Tomorrow - No cookin' for me. Time for leftovers. :grin:

Thanks for looking!

Wow John! Everthing looks wonderful!! I am curious as to what the tri tip is too... maybe back loin? Looks delicious... :thumb:

Grub looks great. REAL Santa Maria Style Rub doesn't have that OTHER stuff in it. Should be black, white, and a little green. NOT RED and especially NO SUGAR!:becky:

I always love your posts. You need to feed us your pron more often.

Wow John, you've been a busy boy! Everything looks great. How hot is that walkerswood mild jerk seasoning? I just picked up some of that the other day but I'm nervous about the wife and kids. I may have to make them something else that day depending on the heat level.

Everything looks great!

On that pork tri tip. I'm pretty sure that's what they call a pork sirloin roast around here in the hill country. They are from what I can tell, just a part of a whole pork loin, and quite lean, but very tasty when cooked up right. Surprisingly in the local grocers, they are $1.00/lb less expensive than pork loins of same weight. Go figure. I can usually get them for less than $2.49/lb and often they go on sale for under $2/lb.

Wow, everything looks great, ESPECIALLY that lamb. Fantastic! :thumb:

Thanks Moose! The lamb was inspired in part by your past lamb cooks!

Grub looks great. REAL Santa Maria Style Rub doesn't have that OTHER stuff in it. Should be black, white, and a little green. NOT RED and especially NO SUGAR!:becky:

I always love your posts. You need to feed us your pron more often.

Thanks Ryan! I forgot to mention the lamb had a dusting of your Original rub! I wish I could have put you rubs on the "tri tip".

Wow John, you've been a busy boy! Everything looks great. How hot is that walkerswood mild jerk seasoning? I just picked up some of that the other day but I'm nervous about the wife and kids. I may have to make them something else that day depending on the heat level.

I'd suggest you apply the jerk seasoning lightly for the wife & kids. I cut back on the 2nd batch & they weren't too hot.

Everything looks great!

On that pork tri tip. I'm pretty sure that's what they call a pork sirloin roast around here in the hill country. They are from what I can tell, just a part of a whole pork loin, and quite lean, but very tasty when cooked up right. Surprisingly in the local grocers, they are $1.00/lb less expensive than pork loins of same weight. Go figure. I can usually get them for less than $2.49/lb and often they go on sale for under $2/lb.

Thanks for the info! Definitely quite lean.

Thanks everyone else for the kind words!

Are they hiring where you work? I'm gonna get on there and have a birthday every month. :thumb:

Just beautiful! :clap2:

Back