pizza dough crust test tonight with friends

Mrs B

Full Fledged Farker
Tonight we had some friends over for a Pizza dough throwdown: Tom wanted to try Trader Joe's pizza dough on the Blackstone, I found some pretty good looking dough at Winco, and I made my 00 homemade dough. We were trying to decide which we liked best.
Pizza 1 was the homemade 00 dough, we did alfredo sauce 1/2 lobster mushroom, tomato, spinach, other half same but replaced the lobster with artichoke and kalamata olive. Turned out great but the fire wasn't quite hot enough and had fire issues.

Second Pizza was Trader Joe's white dough made with pepperoni, mushroom, bell peppers: Fire was perfect and looked and tasted amazing:

# 3 was the Winco white dough, it was really light and fluffy, looked like twice as much dough as we stretched it but ended up the same size as the others. Pretty interesting. Tom did a chicken and fancy peppers his mom gave him. Ithought it cooked up the prettiest but it was kinda doughie and super light:

Our 4th pizza was a whole wheat from Trader Joes, made with red sauce, sausage, onion, peppers:

We took our job seriously and over ate for the good of the team Tom made some wings too:

After much deliberation the overall winner was:

Trader joe's white dough followed closely by the 00 homemade. All in all they were all pretty good. And overwhelming decision, the Blackstone makes everything better for sure. Had fun. I wouldn't say NO to any of them.
Thanks for looking have a great weekend!!!

Hi Mrs. B,

Pies look great, especially the last one! Yum!

We used to use TJ's dough all the time, but then found something so much better- it's Primo Taglio pizza dough which can be found at a Von's near you. This stuff is the bomb, give it a try! If you get it, PM me and I'll walk you through the proofing process.

Also, what is the temp of your stone when you put your pies on in the BS oven? 650-700 seems optimal with the Blackstone.

Thanks Moose ya 650-700 is what were are shooting for I kinda farked up on the first one though it was because it was cold out but it was not heating up to my liking turns out I put a new propane tank on today and in inadvertently turned down the regulator:doh:

Hi Mrs. B,

Pies look great, especially the last one! Yum!

We used to use TJ's dough all the time, but then found something so much better- it's Primo Taglio pizza dough which can be found at a Von's near you. This stuff is the bomb, give it a try! If you get it, PM me and I'll walk you through the proofing process.

Also, what is the temp of your stone when you put your pies on in the BS oven? 650-700 seems optimal with the Blackstone.

Moose, You will be hearing from me soon thanks for the offer. I can't wait to try another. I like making homemade dough too but I can't wait to try something easy and new. There is a Vons on my way home from work. Thanks

Moose, You will be hearing from me soon thanks for the offer. I can't wait to try another. I like making homemade dough too but I can't wait to try something easy and new. There is a Vons on my way home from work. Thanks

This is what you need to look for:

00021130110360_full.jpg

Which the results in this:

IMG_0204_zpsptm6wkhd.jpg

IMG_2345_zpsv5t7kfoz.jpg

DSC_0972_zpsmrldnj6z.jpg

IMG_1601_zpsp3vmpp8r.jpg

What section in the store is the dough in??? The pies look amazing.

Mrs. B,

How you "proof" your dough before it goes in the oven is EVERYTHING. There is a critical rest, then a few more steps. And they are as follows:

1. Pull pizza dough out of refrigerator
2. Let rest on counter for 20 mins
3. Pull dough out of bag, then cover with flour and press into a 10 inch round
4. Let rest for another 15-20 mins
6. NOW you can shape the dough into a round. It has had the adequate time to "relax" and is now very flexible and can be shaped into the perfect round shape, ready for your toppings!

This is why so many folks give up on making pizza because they misunderstand these most crucial steps.

But to answer your question, the Primo Taglio dough is usually situated in the display case with the Von's premade pizzas. If you can't find it, ask someone in behind the deli, they will be able to help.

And for Goddsakes, get yerself a Xlarge Super Peel!!!!

Mrs. B,

How you "proof" your dough before it goes in the oven is EVERYTHING. There is a critical rest, then a few more steps. And they are as follows:

1. Pull pizza dough out of refrigerator
2. Let rest on counter for 20 mins
3. Pull dough out of bag, then cover with flour and press into a 10 inch round
4. Let rest for another 15-20 mins
6. NOW you can shape the dough into a round. It has had the adequate time to "relax" and is now very flexible and can be shaped into the perfect round shape, ready for your toppings!

This is why so many folks give up on making pizza because they misunderstand these most crucial steps.

But to answer your question, the Primo Taglio dough is usually situated in the display case with the Von's premade pizzas. If you can't find it, ask someone in behind the deli, they will be able to help.

And for Goddsakes, get yerself a Xlarge Super Peel!!!!

Ahhh super interesting. Can't wait to do this. Is it too late for pizza? Ummm yes. But i normally let it rest 40 minutes to an hour to room temperature before we make them. But I like the idea of forming and let rest again. We will try that next time. I'll let you know how it comes out. Thank you

And can you PLEASE convince Tom B that we need a super pizza peel. I want one so badly. Maybe for Xmas. He say it is just a gimmick and not worth $40 or $50 which is what amazon prime has it for.
I am looking at amazon prime and there is a wood one for $55 and a metal one for $ 57 which one is better?

And can you PLEASE convince Tom B that we need a super pizza peel. I want one so badly. Maybe for Xmas. He say it is just a gimmick and not worth $40 or $50 which is what amazon prime has it for.
I am looking at amazon prime and there is a wood one for $55 and a metal one for $ 57 which one is better?

I have the same question as above.

Mrs. B thanks for the report on your experiments.

Another question: does anyone use a pizza screen on their Blackstone?

Thanks,

Robert

Great looking pizza mrs.B!
Don't mean to hijack your thread, but, this might be relevant to the discussion.
Moose? When you say "stone temp", I'm thinking that is different from the dial temp. Is that correct?

they were all good but I'm still searching for crust nirvana
Believe or not, I found it at a small Kiosk in Penn Station, NYC, never will forget.
People put the cooked pie on the screen so the pie stays crisp and doesn't soak up moisture.

Killer pies Stephanie! 00 dough like very high temps like about 800 bottom-850 top stone range. Looks like u guys are enjoying the oven. :thumb:

i have kept telling myself, i don't need a dedicated pizza cooker. my oven is just fine.

i do believe this thread has convinced me otherwise!

how well do they work in the cold? it gets a bit chilly here in the northeast during the winter!

i have kept telling myself, i don't need a dedicated pizza cooker. my oven is just fine.

i do believe this thread has convinced me otherwise!

how well do they work in the cold? it gets a bit chilly here in the northeast during the winter!

Please allow me to help seal the deal:

You will never get the kind of crust from a conventional oven that you can with a Blackstone or a wood fired oven. It has everything to do with how dough reacts to stone surface temps. With temps above 600 degrees, you get a browning and crisp on the crust that is both wonderful, and just not possible with a regular oven.

The BS works fine in the cold, but like any cooker that has an exposed open flame, not so good in the wind.

I did a comprehensive review of the BS oven, which also covers some tips that will get you up to speed on how to best use this cooker:

http://mooseonfire.com/home/2015/1/4/product-review-the-blackstone-pizza-oven

Great looking pizza mrs.B!
Don't mean to hijack your thread, but, this might be relevant to the discussion.
Moose? When you say "stone temp", I'm thinking that is different from the dial temp. Is that correct?

The most indispensable pizza making tool I have is a handheld infrared thermometer. You need to know the exact temp of the stone the pizza is going to cook on, and the dial temp of the BS doesn't tell you that. I typically shoot for a stone temp of 675 or so.

Please allow me to help seal the deal:

You will never get the kind of crust from a conventional oven that you can with a Blackstone or a wood fired oven. It has everything to do with how dough reacts to stone surface temps. With temps above 600 degrees, you get a browning and crisp on the crust that is both wonderful, and just not possible with a regular oven.

The BS works fine in the cold, but like any cooker that has an exposed open flame, not so good in the wind.

I did a comprehensive review of the BS oven, which also covers some important time saving tips that will help you save time:

http://mooseonfire.com/home/2015/1/4/product-review-the-blackstone-pizza-oven

I'll second Moose! You won't be sorry. Amazing pies and effortless at that.

Back