THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi all, Newbie here but hoping for some help.

Just received my PBJ a few weeks ago and been trying to get the hang out it.

First couple of cooks followed the directions to a T but everything seemed to be running so hot!

Here's where i am with my latest cook on right now:

Vent: Essentially closed (as much as it will)--I'm at sea level
Starting briqs: 10... with 12 minute heat up/burn time in chimney
Lid right on after dumping, and Quickly throwing food on. Not leaving lid open too much

Temps rise and rise and after an 45mins , temps at 380!

I know its supposed to be a set and forget but its roasting all my Meat so fast!!

Any suggestions on how to bring the temps down to the estimated temps PBC says it operates at ~270-310?
Are you putting the rebar in right away after lighting it? What kind of charcoal are you using?

Thank you, everyone. I just placed an order for the PBC Select which includes the chimney starter, hinged grate, ash pan, cover and grips.

What's the recommended "guaranteed not-to-mess-up" first cook? I would like to try out some ribs.

It cooks everything great. Chicken on the PBC will change your life.

Somehow, I'd never done bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs on the PBC in the entire time I've owned it. Boneless and skinless yes, but not bone-in and skin on.

Woah boy. Amazing stuff with a liberal dusting of Oakridge Secret Weapon. Finished two pork butts so I cracked the lid and just let these go. Done in 45 minutes and were amazing.

I am wondering, however, if anyone has made these on the PBC and put them on the grate skin-down in an effort for even more crispness?

Does anybody have a pic of the best way to apply lava gasket. Just want to get it in the right spot. This is my last attempt at using this thing.

I have had one for 3 years and just let it do it’s thing
Depending in what I’m cooking I put and eyeball on it
Mostly my nose tells me what goin on
Don’t over think this lil critter
Drink a beer and stare at it

Cooking for the kiddos. Country-style ribs on the PBC. Some SPOGOS and Plowboys Yardbird gave 'em the color and crust I was looking for. Cooked to the 180's, took just a couple hours over 75/25 lump/briqs and cherry. Really good stuff. Forgot how delicious those can be--flavorful outside and juicy inside. Kiddos both said they like them more than my "real" ribs. Not sure what to make of that but I'm choosing to take it as a compliment.

No pics but also threw some SPOGOS zucchini on there and also a few pineapple spears. Also did some chicken quarters that didn't turn out real pretty but tasted good.

xYOtRW8l.jpg

JG8aFPol.jpg

QLypyR3h.jpg

I've been reading this thread long enough, I guess it's time to contribute to it.

23#'s of Spares just went on the PBC. Local store had them for $1.69# this week.

7xbiyCI.jpg

6b8cEaA.jpg

Giddyup, Goose! Gotta love a live cook

I loaded charcoal thinking it was still March. Forget to compensate for a beautiful May day in Michigan. 74 degrees and the ribs are already at 190, so they might be done a bit early.

My Asst. Pitmaster has decided he wants to catch birds rather than sit and watch the smoke.
JZ9tlIB.jpg

What do y'all do as a regular maintenance routine? I use the ash pan and it seems to catch about 75% of the ash, but I've never really cleaned the bottom of the PBC out. There's a lot of drippings down there. How thoroughly should I clean down there? The sides and lid are well seasoned, but I'm starting to get concerned over the build-up at the bottom.

TIA

Back