THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What do y'all do as a regular maintenance routine? I use the ash pan and it seems to catch about 75% of the ash, but I've never really cleaned the bottom of the PBC out. There's a lot of drippings down there. How thoroughly should I clean down there? The sides and lid are well seasoned, but I'm starting to get concerned over the build-up at the bottom.

TIA

I don't have an ash pan. Before I empty the ashes I have a little hoe that I use to give the bottom a couple of scrapes to loosen excess debris. After a couple years that's kept the buildup to a minimum.

Anyone have tips/pics about how to hang wings? I see a lot of pictures of wings on the grate, but the beauty of the PBC is being able to hang things vertically.

I've searched and seen a few comments here and there, but there are like 600 posts in this thread. Has anyone already bookmarked a way to do this?

I feel like someone used the hanging basket and I thought no saw another person using the hanging skewers to hang wings too. Maybe Sako?

My nephew seemed to be really interested in my PBC so I told him I would send him one. Sent him a PBJ a couple days ago, he’s kind of like meh. I’m about to tell him to sell it or I’ll come to Cincinnati and take it back. 😅😅😅

Now he does 3 kids under 3 so I guess I understand. He’ll get the bug soon.

My nephew seemed to be really interested in my PBC so I told him I would send him one. Sent him a PBJ a couple days ago, he’s kind of like meh. I’m about to tell him to sell it or I’ll come to Cincinnati and take it back. 😅😅😅

Now he does 3 kids under 3 so I guess I understand. He’ll get the bug soon.

Meh for a free PBJ? Yeah take it back.

Send him pictures of your food in the meantime.

I've got two kids under 4 and I couldn't imagine a more perfect smoker. There is no need to check temperature or fiddle with dampers. Light charcoal, put in food, wait; that is perfect for busy parents

As for hanging wings, you can run into problems with rubbery skin where the wings are touching each other. I've just dealt with it since I only hang when I need to do a bunch of them quickly. I've always received better results putting them on the grate.

I'm pretty new to the cooker but I see no reason for a gasket. My lid is gunked up enough I almost have to pry it off
I have had mine for a couple of years and I cannot cook anything in this thing as it destroys everything I cook. Now before anybody says I am doing it wrong, I have watched every you tube video, I have read every advise page, I have tried it all. I have experimented with all kids of tips and tricks and the thing will not settle down, it cooks wide open. I made ribs on it a month ago and I went out to check on it an hour later and the ribs looked like they had been on there for 6 hours, they were pulled completely back and were charred black, this was one hour. This can be said for everything I cook in it, the only thing I have had luck with is a whole chicken. So I ordered a new lid thinking maybe the lid was warped as I always see smoke coming out and even with the new lid I am still having the same results. I am ready to throw it in the trash because I have lost so much money and ruined so many dinners with this thing, IMO it is not worth the risk anymore. I don’t know what else to do. Somebody said they used gasket and it fixed it, I dont know what else to do. The customer service is worthless and I told them so. To be honest I am looking at a 55 gallon Gateway right now. I think I am going to put this pit barrel to the curb and get a drum smoker. It just sucks because I see so many people that have great results, but then I see others like me that just have nothing but problems.

Last edited:
I have had mine for a couple of years and I cannot cook anything in this thing as it destroys everything I cook. Now before anybody says I am doing it wrong, I have watched every you tube video, I have read every advise page, I have tried it all. I have experimented with all kids of tips and tricks and the thing will not settle down, it cooks wide open. I made ribs on it a month ago and I went out to check on it an hour later and the ribs looked like they had been on there for 6 hours, they were pulled completely back and were charred black, this was one hour. This can be said for everything I cook in it, the only thing I have had luck with is a whole chicken. So I ordered a new lid thinking maybe the lid was warped as I always see smoke coming out and even with the new lid I am still having the same results. I am ready to throw it in the trash because I have lost so much money and ruined so many dinners with this thing, IMO it is not worth the risk anymore. I don’t know what else to do. Somebody said they used gasket and it fixed it, I dont know what else to do. The customer service is worthless and I told them so. To be honest I am looking at a 55 gallon Gateway right now. I think I am going to put this pit barrel to the curb and get a drum smoker. It just sucks because I see so many people that have great results, but then I see others like me that just have nothing but problems.

I hate to hear that. I really hate to hear that the customer service has been worthless. I've had the opposite experience on both fronts.

Here's hoping they make it right or give you a refund. Sounds like you got a lemon.

It seems gnarly that there could even be a lemon. It's a barrel with a hole at the bottom and some rebar.

I wonder if you recorded your entire lighting process and sent it to them if it would help. I called them the first time I cooked on it and they were fantastic, even providing me specific instructions based on where I lived since the CSR knew my area.

Has to be maddening to have the thing consistently run super hot when a giant selling point is how easy it is.

Hey Rib Rub - that sucks. I was frustrated as well...once I got the lid sealing correctly it all comes down to the bottom vent being set for your elevation and most importantly your lighting technique. That is pretty much it. Once I got that lid sealed so the smoke only comes out from rebar holes things really came together.

The PBC official starting method works...I use a modified version where I dump the coals after the top most coals start to turn white, and then I leave the lid off and let it burn wide open for 10 mins or so...then I put the lid on, leave rebars out and go another 10 mins...finally after that 10 mins is up I insert rebars and hang meat. This way I get a temp spike 350-420 degrees, and then after maybe 15 mins or so it drops down to 320-275 range. Anyways the main point of my post is to mention the lid and leave a couple gasket placement photos.

Attachments

Dang, RibRub. I can feel your frustration and hate you’re struggling. Totally understand it when you’re losing time and money and effort trying to do something you love.
Wonder if you have a friend nearby with the PBC? Or maybe one of the Brethren in your hood you can connect with? Or possibly a comp in your area—lots of teams use PBCs only as chicken cookers but I’m sure they know their way around it otherwise. I don’t know. Really wish I could help you. If this thread can’t assist you then it can’t be done. Hunsaker is a legit alternative.

smoked a couple butts and a turkey breast on the PBC. Butts were great but the turkey breast was what the kiddos were grabbing as fast as I could slice it

HSOrpoFl.jpg

bl2ghqCl.jpg

I finally was able to cook 2 racks of St. Louis style ribs on the pbc today. Kept it simple as this was my first cook. Just used the PBC Beef & Game pit rub. Followed the lighting method from the PBC website. At 3 hrs, I checked the ribs but it didn't pass the bend test and the toothpick test so I left it for another hour. Pulled at exactly 4 hrs and let it rest. I just have to say that the ribs were amazing. Here's a pic. Sorry if its a little blurry as my phone sucks. I did have a little issue with water dripping on the bottom of the PBC though. I dont know what caused it but I will have to look at that some other day. https://imgur.com/a/dYMXCn8

Hey, All
I have a question about my PBC. They say the cooker usually runs at 275 to 310 *F. At what location in the cooker are they talking about? I have my temperature probe centered in the middle of the barrel and can never seem to get above 250*, and usually closer to 225*. I have my bottom vent set correctly, but even when I open it more the temperature doesn’t change? I Followed PBC lighting instructions, use kingsford briquettes, can’t figure it out.

Hey, All
I have a question about my PBC. They say the cooker usually runs at 275 to 310 *F. At what location in the cooker are they talking about? I have my temperature probe centered in the middle of the barrel and can never seem to get above 250*, and usually closer to 225*. I have my bottom vent set correctly, but even when I open it more the temperature doesn’t change? I Followed PBC lighting instructions, use kingsford briquettes, can’t figure it out.

How many brickettes are you starting with?

Hey, All

Do you have meat on the rack? It is a small area so airflow And meat placement can affect it.

Back