Hi all, Newbie here but hoping for some help.

Just received my PBJ a few weeks ago and been trying to get the hang out it.

First couple of cooks followed the directions to a T but everything seemed to be running so hot!

Here's where i am with my latest cook on right now:

Vent: Essentially closed (as much as it will)--I'm at sea level
Starting briqs: 10... with 12 minute heat up/burn time in chimney
Lid right on after dumping, and Quickly throwing food on. Not leaving lid open too much

Temps rise and rise and after an 45mins , temps at 380!

I know its supposed to be a set and forget but its roasting all my Meat so fast!!

Any suggestions on how to bring the temps down to the estimated temps PBC says it operates at ~270-310?
Are you putting the rebar in right away after lighting it? What kind of charcoal are you using?

Thank you, everyone. I just placed an order for the PBC Select which includes the chimney starter, hinged grate, ash pan, cover and grips.

What's the recommended "guaranteed not-to-mess-up" first cook? I would like to try out some ribs.

It cooks everything great. Chicken on the PBC will change your life.

Somehow, I'd never done bone-in, skin-on chicken thighs on the PBC in the entire time I've owned it. Boneless and skinless yes, but not bone-in and skin on.

Woah boy. Amazing stuff with a liberal dusting of Oakridge Secret Weapon. Finished two pork butts so I cracked the lid and just let these go. Done in 45 minutes and were amazing.

I am wondering, however, if anyone has made these on the PBC and put them on the grate skin-down in an effort for even more crispness?

Does anybody have a pic of the best way to apply lava gasket. Just want to get it in the right spot. This is my last attempt at using this thing.

^yep, me too. Mine’s so gunked up sometimes it’s hard to pull the lid off if it’s been cooking long enough. No gasket for me but I’ve cooked on it a whole lot.

I have had one for 3 years and just let it do it’s thing
Depending in what I’m cooking I put and eyeball on it
Mostly my nose tells me what goin on
Don’t over think this lil critter
Drink a beer and stare at it

Cooking for the kiddos. Country-style ribs on the PBC. Some SPOGOS and Plowboys Yardbird gave 'em the color and crust I was looking for. Cooked to the 180's, took just a couple hours over 75/25 lump/briqs and cherry. Really good stuff. Forgot how delicious those can be--flavorful outside and juicy inside. Kiddos both said they like them more than my "real" ribs. Not sure what to make of that but I'm choosing to take it as a compliment.

No pics but also threw some SPOGOS zucchini on there and also a few pineapple spears. Also did some chicken quarters that didn't turn out real pretty but tasted good.

xYOtRW8l.jpg

JG8aFPol.jpg

QLypyR3h.jpg

I've been reading this thread long enough, I guess it's time to contribute to it.

23#'s of Spares just went on the PBC. Local store had them for $1.69# this week.

7xbiyCI.jpg

6b8cEaA.jpg

Giddyup, Goose! Gotta love a live cook

I loaded charcoal thinking it was still March. Forget to compensate for a beautiful May day in Michigan. 74 degrees and the ribs are already at 190, so they might be done a bit early.

My Asst. Pitmaster has decided he wants to catch birds rather than sit and watch the smoke.
JZ9tlIB.jpg

What do y'all do as a regular maintenance routine? I use the ash pan and it seems to catch about 75% of the ash, but I've never really cleaned the bottom of the PBC out. There's a lot of drippings down there. How thoroughly should I clean down there? The sides and lid are well seasoned, but I'm starting to get concerned over the build-up at the bottom.

TIA

Back