Pellet cooker the way to go at comps

I use bbqrs delight smoke stix in my wsm's which is basically a big oversize pellet. Does that make me a cheater as well?

if you plug it in and light it. lol

maybe you can throw some espresso beans into the flame with your fire and make some good old espresso ribs..

judges would be all jacked up like a kid on crack.lol

if you plug it in and light it. lol

maybe you can throw some espresso beans into the flame with your fire and make some good old espresso ribs..

judges would be all jacked up like a kid on crack.lol
Only if it smothered in sweet bay rays and store bought rub:rolleyes:

No clue what I am doing for next summer. It fit my schedule this year. Also told Jim I would make it... I have no reason not to return. Judges didn't like my product that day. Oh well.

Yeah, I just did a little modifcation on the Pickled Pig site... I can't even talk trash to Rod of Pellet Envy.. As he is on the road to mecca... But I've got him in points... At least from 9/1/08... It's my claim to fame. Well, also back this year when I won Felda... I was the KCBS points leader for a month... :oops:

Consistency is what I strive for... Main reason I cook on a FE...

Consistency is what I strive for... Main reason I cook on a FE...
Ditto.....
I got off to a half way decent start first comp solo.....looking forward to seeing how I measure up down at Hogg Happenin' in Shelby.....
and yeah, Rod is on a Superhighway to infamy....
I want to be a Envious-Plow-Sucks some day........grins, had to throw a few pellet heads in the mix there......

Since I didn't want to troll through 12 pages of replys and rebuttals - I apologize if this has already been mentioned. Why not simply have different categories in major comps? If you cook on a pellet smoker - cook against other pellet smokers. If, like me, you cook with wood only - why not have a category for stick burners? I think that would be kind of fun. Wouldn't work in smaller comps - but why not at the Jack?

to be considered the best of the best, you have to go head-to-head... I can not see the Jack or any other established contest doing this. Heck it was hard enough for them to get LPQue off the ground and that only lasted one year. Although there is always talk of more...

As long as everyone has the right to use a PCer Im all for it. We do throw in a handful of pellets into our Spicewine just so we can call it a pellet cooker. Its our policy.

I do believe that would be the 10.5 inches and funnel clouds in the morning....yeah, the one that actually ate my board on my FEC....thank God we had the other smoker.....
That was Friday night. You guys got towed out and left Saturday. Some of us hunkered down around the picnic table with a bottle or 3 of adult beverages to pass around taking shots. Put everybody but Pig Pac to bed. Decided that if I wanted to live I better quit then, cause those boys know how to party.

There is an electric element in there to light the fire pot. It turns off after 5 minutes I believe. I have mine disconnected and use a Mapp torch to light my pellets. Mostly because my pit gets up to temp a lot faster that way. So in answer to your question. The electricity doens't play any part in heating the pit. The heat is generated by the burning of wood. Wood pellets. Which is why pellet cookers are allowed in KCBS contests.

Hope this helps.

Scottie, just for the sake of clarity, the only thing the electricity is for is starting the pellets, as you said, and also to drive the auger to feed them into the burner part as needed, correct?

I'm still ok with my bullets, but sometimes in bad weather it'd be nice to have the insulation of one of those bad boys!

Runs the board, auger and glow stick. Although the new FEC's are drop delivery for the pellets.

Might have to break the piggy bank.....although I have to say those Spicewine's look nice too!

I think actually for now we'll stick to the bullets. We can worry about the cookers when we get more consistent product. Might think about paying for those recipes though!:mrgreen:

And for the record, we don't use stokers or guru's, but I don't hate those that do. Ours seem to hold temp long enough for me to sleep some. I could keep temp for hours longer using briquettes, but like the taste from the lump better, so I get up once to re-stoke. No big deal!

This thread was a helluva funny read!

TIME OUT...

In a week from now ANY and ALL types of pits from across the country, manned by the "Best of the Best", will be going head to head at an invitational in Douglas GA. Pellets, stick burners, electric, propane, charcoal, whatever your poison. It's a great contest and always a lot of fun.

OK, now back to your regularly scheduled horse beating :cool:

TIME OUT...

In a week from now ANY and ALL types of pits from across the country, manned by the "Best of the Best", will be going head to head at an invitational in Douglas GA. Pellets, stick burners, electric, propane, charcoal, whatever your poison. It's a great contest and always a lot of fun.

OK, now back to your regularly scheduled horse beating :cool:

AMEN Rub,

You forgot to mention that the purse is HUGE :lol:
But, let's keep that to ourselves--OK?

See Ya there!

TIM

Back