Best Pellet Smokers under $2,500?

Booking It

Knows what a fatty is.
I am thinking of getting a pellet smoker, mostly for the ease factor. I already use Big Green Eggs, and I'm also saving up for a really nice offset.

I'd like to spend no more than $2,500. I would really prefer to spend less than that, but I also want the best quality that I can afford. I'm looking for something that can withstand smoking in Chicago winters.

It's just me and my husband, and I usually just do one brisket at a time, a few racks of ribs at a time, etc..., so a huge cooking capacity is not what I need because I would just also use my Eggs for the few times that I would need more space.

I went to Myron Mixon's Barbecue School last year, and I really liked the shape and quality of his BARQ smokers, but they've raised the prices to more than what I want to spend on this venture. Kind of kicking myself for not just buying one then!

Thanks for any advice that you can give!

It will just be a matter of pellet consumption. My grill is not insulated, and I notice probably close to double the burn rate to keep the temps where you set them. As noted, insulated grills are pricey and blankets get ugly/messy.
I have a recteq 1070 - which was the cheapest all stainless grill I could find. It's 400 series stainless. No, it's not perfect - but it's currently my favorite grill.

I love my MAK, so I’d suggest the 1 star. I believe Smokin Brothers makes the Mixon BARQ smokers and have their Premier line that fits your budget with double walled insulation. I live near Des Moines and have similar weather. The cheaper single wall units use a lot more pellets in the winter.

FYI, while the MAK isn’t double walled, the thicker metal than many others and flame zone are very efficient and perform pretty similar to the insulated pellet grills I’ve had in the cold.

The Yoder 480 also fits your budget.

I was in a similar situation a few years back. I had a Weber gasser and a Primo Oval. I was interested in ease of use, something I could just turn on like the gasser, but for weeknight steaks, but would have some smoke to it. I was set on both Recteq and Yoders at various times, but what turned me off them was the pictures I'd seen posted of them after a few years when some of them had rust issues. I ended up going with a MAK2*, stainless steel, so no rust. Temps get up to 450* so I can grill steaks on it. I did that last week even when temps were around 20* here, although it can take about 45 minutes to get there. I bought it a bit over two years ago at the beginning of Covid and haven't used my two other smokers since then, although I did do a nice refinish on the Primo table. They don't run sales, but the last few years rwalters helped organize a group buy for the Brethren and they did give a bit of a discount. I don't know if there is interest in something like that again or not.

I came from ceramic kamados to pellets about 6 years ago. Have never looked back. Still have and love my 26 kettle, but for me… pellet cooking has won me over. Wouldn’t be surprised to find you in the same spot [emoji6]

You mentioned brisket and ribs. Will grilling be important with a new pellet cooker, or is low n slow all ya need? If you want grilling power, that will limit your options, IMO.

Based on the way you explained and asked your question, if in your shoes this would be my choice. The base price will allow you to add a few accessories (shelves, etc) and still stick to stated budget.

https://smokinbrothers.com/product/smokin-brothers-30-premier-plus-grill/

I know a few guys with Smokin Bros, and they love them.

I paid $315 for my Pit Boss. I've used the heck out of it since August (including last night). I like it a lot and enough for me to upgrade to a higher end model when that day comes. I'm not giving up my sticks or kettle but the pellet cooker is very handy. Maybe start on the low price end and work your way up.

I came from ceramic kamados to pellets about 6 years ago. Have never looked back. Still have and love my 26 kettle, but for me… pellet cooking has won me over. Wouldn’t be surprised to find you in the same spot [emoji6]

You mentioned brisket and ribs. Will grilling be important with a new pellet cooker, or is low n slow all ya need? If you want grilling power, that will limit your options, IMO.

Based on the way you explained and asked your question, if in your shoes this would be my choice. The base price will allow you to add a few accessories (shelves, etc) and still stick to stated budget.

https://smokinbrothers.com/product/smokin-brothers-30-premier-plus-grill/

I know a few guys with Smokin Bros, and they love them.

Did not recommend a MAK? WTH?

Back