Peanut butter and jelly

Does anyone remember the circular cast iron clamps you took camping w/ you to make campfire pies? P&J's on those Kick you know what..... Toast's the outside and kinda seals it in all around the edges.... Takes me back to lake Okabogee in Iowa.

should leave the PB and Spam for Bigabyte.
Why would you need PB on both sides of the bread?
How in the world will the sammie stay around long enough for the bread to get soggy???

pre-madepbj.jpg
Actually these are pretty good

We still use the pie irons for camping. Lot's of stuff to go inside. I like PB and J on potato bread, thick PB, a little jelly, and lot's of fritos!!!

Does anyone remember the circular cast iron clamps you took camping w/ you to make campfire pies? P&J's on those Kick you know what..... Toast's the outside and kinda seals it in all around the edges.... Takes me back to lake Okabogee in Iowa.

You're in my back yard now brother. Good times to be had down there.

We used pie filling in the ones we made. Cherry, apple and blueberry were the staples. And we're not in FL it is Okoboji. I hear the University's football team is going to do well this year.

I think this thread needs more work, so I fixed a pb&j today, with fried apples, on rustic French country bread.

I used Jif, and blackberry preserves, fried a granny smith apple with cinnamon and demerarra sugar (sp?), then put it on the bread, and into a skillet to toast the bread.

2760638768_f65f940835.jpg

2760639066_044b015eb9.jpg

2760639254_f914b742d8.jpg

2760639634_2daece0503.jpg

Right now...I could use some interesting ideas for PBJs. My girls start school tomorrow and they won't eat lunch meat (fine with me...too much sodium), so peanut butter sandwiches is what they will get. Now we will be switching it up with Nutella somedays.

They can't wait until I start making my fall soups so they can take leftovers to lunch. But its still too hot right now.

Not sure how it is out your way, but there are schools here that no longer allow peanut butter due to the high number of kids with nut allergies.
My kids are all grown, but I have a co-worker whose kids attend such a school

I think this thread needs more work, so I fixed a pb&j today, with fried apples, on rustic French country bread.

I used Jif, and blackberry preserves, fried a granny smith apple with cinnamon and demerarra sugar (sp?), then put it on the bread, and into a skillet to toast the bread.

Now you're just showing off. AND I LOVE IT.

That looks awesome...

I hear Elvis calling me.

No pictures but how about:

1 loaf Italian bread
Creamy Peanut Butter
Grape Jelly
1 lb bacon
enough thick sliced bananas to cover the peanut butter

Then deep fry the whole thing.

White bread, country crock shed spread, Jif regular or crunchy, Peach or Grape Jelly. Way my dad made em. Don't use the butter all the time, But will when I get a hankering for one and missin my dad.

White bread, country crock shed spread, Jif regular or crunchy, Peach or Grape Jelly. Way my dad made em. Don't use the butter all the time, But will when I get a hankering for one and missin my dad.

You bring up something that I've long realized about food... Taste takes second fiddle to memories, not to take away from your sandwich. But if we have a strong memory, such as our moms made it for us when we were sick, or dad used to grill it this way, etc., we'll go nuts over things that, on the surface, don't sound very good and probably aren't to outsiders.

I love these things called 'cheese waffies'
Wise-CW.jpg

They're made with little crackers with dehydrated cheese. But we ate these when I was a kid and we had no money, and I LOVE them!

I would bet that, if our parents made pb&j for us a particular way, we each prefer that over all other ways.

Back