Grilled PBJ

Bob C Cue

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I enjoy peanut butter and jelly sandwiches and was looking online for some ideas on how to change it up a bit. I came across a site that listed 16 ways to make a better PB&J.

The number one idea was to grill it. Never had heard of it that before but thought it was worth giving it a shot. I must say I really enjoyed it. The inside was warm and creamy and the toasted bread took the sandwich up a notch or two. (I of coursed used mayo instead of butter on the outside as it produces an nice even golden texture.)

Anyone else tried grilled PBJs or have other ideas to spruce up an old favorite?

That sounds great, Bob! Something that I love to make is Elvis’ favorite snack: the “Nanner sandwich” as he called it. On one side of TJ’s multigrain bread (the King liked white) I spread a nice thick layer of chunky peanut butter. On the other side is a banana sliced in half lengthwise. Then it goes into a cast iron pan with a TBSP of butter on each side until the bread is nice and brown on each side. Delicious and like you said, that warm PB is awesome! And now you’ve given me an idea to try it on the grill! Thanks and looking forward to others’ ideas and results!

I've mentioned once before... there is a bbq joint near me called Jalapeno Bucks and they have a brisket PB&J sandwich that is killer. No lie. Sounds weird but it's amazing.

Yup I grew up on grilled PBJ except we used butter on the bread, the Mayo thing was something I started doing as I became much older and wiser :wink:. We also did grilled PB and Cheese (velveeta), grilled PB and pickles and of course grilled PB and bananas. Now I like grilled PB and nacho jalapenos.

We saw a recipe for grilled PB&J on either a jelly jar or peanut butter jar way back in the 70's. My dad asked if we wanted to try it, and of course we said YES! Been doing it ever since. I'll tell you what - nothing lights up a little kid like a grilled PB&J and potato chips.

I thought it would be fun to do a couple of years ago when we had 3 foster kids in my house, plus my own two. It was a very messy ordeal. They were not cool enough and all the kids had filling run everywhere. VERY TASTY, but very messy also. May do it again. Glad your's turned out good.

Pie iron over coals and done. 2 minutes per side roughly. We did these on July 4th for breakfast and they were FARKIN' AWESOME!!!! :thumb:

Glazed donut grilled with peanut butter, jelly, bacon and of course a cheeseburger. It was fantastic. I had a thread on the cook but no pics anymore due to photobucket

Back