THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

As long as the hair is longer and straight, I'm ok with just picking it off and continuing. If, however, it is NOT long and straight... :shock:

I would be more concerned that a judge wuold wipe off my piece of chicken or ribs with a napkin to get the excess garnish off and then wouldnt be judging the entry that I really wanted him to...like the person above who said that he got boxes of finely trimmed parsley and that saucy chicken was laid on top and folks needed to wipe the sauce and parsley off with a napkin. I wouldnt worry about a judge or two that is going to eat it and score me down for it. I stick to me lettuce and parsley boxes for now...

I'm just wondering how you determine that the parsley ended up on there because of something the competitor did... maybe the table captain moved the box a little, maybe the judge picked up the parsely when he took the entry. Its not exacly Operation when your taking pulled pork out of a box.

With a big enough handful I could take lettuce out of the box too.

I am a little confused about the comments that people want good garnish to count and bad garnish not too. I think that's getting mixed up with people who say 'no garnish should not detract from my scores"... I have never heard anyone say... if I put a bunch of dead greens in the box the judges shoudl ignore them...

I think its strange people get caught up on judges who break up chicken with their hands when judging. When 6 judges are at a table pulling brisket apart no one has a problem with it... or people squeezing p. pork or ribs...

LMAO - What if a vegan found meat attached to their parsley in a garnish contest? Is that a DQ?

Don't laugh too hard, at my judging class we had a young woman behind me that asked "do I have to taste the pork....I really don't like pork":eek::eek:

Have never seen Mike Lake at a loss for words before....but he recoverd quickly.:wink:

not to get off topic, but while judging one event, the girl next to me asked for white meat when the bird box was all thighs, stating she hates the dark meat. She was told that we don't have choices unless the box contains both. She did not want to eat the thigh and was visibly 'grossed out'. She pretended to taste the entry with a tiny little bites, also removing the skin.

i quietly brought it up to the attention of the table captain. Who said her scores were not detrimental to the scoring(guess she scored with decent numbers). Problem was, this judge was the daughter of either a master judge(or the rep?) and was allowed to stay. She got the spot as a fill in for an empty judges seat.. (just made the age requirment of 16. )

BTW... Parsley is still garnish.

... "And I believe if a judge refuses to sample an entry for any reason other than raw meat, then it is given a 9 as the score"...

Is that really true??? I don't see that as being quite right. How can they give it a 9 when they didn't try it?
That same thing did happen to someone I was sitting next to at a judging table. That person was given the option, by the Rep I believe, to eat or NOT eat the entry which had obviously human hair on it. The judge chose not to eat the entry, grossed out, but I don't remember what the instruction was on how to score it.

Don't laugh too hard, at my judging class we had a young woman behind me that asked "do I have to taste the pork....I really don't like pork":eek::eek:

Have never seen Mike Lake at a loss for words before....but he recoverd quickly.:wink:

It basically was....just a bit more tactfull. Somthing like " Well then I don't think this BBQ judging is somthing for you"

I do believe this was the promoter's daughter!!! :eek::confused::mad:

I think Tim has a valid point. The rules dont clearly state it

The rules also don't clearly state not to eat a rib bone...

Come on guys this is crazy! If parsley gets stuck to the meat pick the parsley off. It's that simple. No rule interpretation needed.

Mike
CBJ #12760

... "And I believe if a judge refuses to sample an entry for any reason other than raw meat, then it is given a 9 as the score"...

Is that really true??? I don't see that as being quite right. How can they give it a 9 when they didn't try it?
That same thing did happen to someone I was sitting next to at a judging table. That person was given the option, by the Rep I believe, to eat or NOT eat the entry which had obviously human hair on it. The judge chose not to eat the entry, grossed out, but I don't remember what the instruction was on how to score it.

I don't think this is true. At my judging class there was a guy who was allergic to chicken. They said in this case the table captian my be used to fill in for that category...

The Answers

I just hung up the phone with Linda Mullane. (CBJ Instructors).

Heres the answers in a nutshell. these came directly from Linda. I quote the best I can withthe notes I took. I asked her to stop in tonight to clarify.

Hair:
  • NO DQ, Used to be, but no longer. Your allowed/encouraged to remove the hair and continue on.
  • You can switch the sample if there are extras in the box.
  • you can flat out refuse to eat it as inedible and score no lower than a 2.
  • You can find a replacement judge for that sample.
Brush Bristle.
  • NO DQ.
  • No discretion it must be removed. it is not considered rendering the piece inedible.
  • Its not considered a foreign object and the piece must be sampled and judged without the bristle.
Parsley: This is specifically about a PIECE OF GARNISH stuck or attached that can be removed. This does NOT include a "taste" from the garnish due to steaming or coming in contact with the meat that is now part of the flavor profile.
  • If its on the meat, its not a DQ and not a foreign Object
  • Its a meat contest not a garnish contest. Garnish is not part of the meat. If it comes out with the meat, it should be removed or not sampled or included in judging.
  • If a low score was discovered by the rep it would be questioned and if determined that the garnish was judged, the judge would likely be a counciled.
  • If a judge down scores because of voluntarily eating the garnish although it is the judges discretion to do so, it should NOT BE DONE.
** Many times, she has had people ask if they can remove and eat some garnish. This is allowed. But it is not included in the scores.

And still doesnt really cover how the parsley or garnish should be removed from the meat. Removing it could mean tweezers and gently removing the garnish or it could mean taking a napkin and wiping all the sauce off...wiping the sauce off could greatly affect the score.

And still doesnt really cover how the parsley or garnish should be removed from the meat. Removing it could mean tweezers and gently removing the garnish or it could mean taking a napkin and wiping all the sauce off...wiping the sauce off could greatly affect the score.

Could always just take a bite where there isn't garnish...

Back