Parsley Beds

Here's what I've learned from this thread - Jeff is right. We should all be subject to a CBJ refresher every few years. I took my class with Ed Roith and he was very clear about the garnish issue and the hair issue and the pieces not cut apart problem and all these other things we've talked about. The only thing I'd question is a basting brush bristle. To me, that's a foreign object. But if my table captain said no I'd pick it off and eat.

Yes you eat the skin. Yes I find it gross. But you are required to at least taste it.

And if I was allergic, didn't like something or otherwise whined about eating anything at a competition that was properly cooked, I'd expect to get pitched out on my pork butt. As a cook and CBJ I take this scoring stuff seriously and have a great appreciation for the work that goes in to it. I judge the way I'd wanting to be judged -- as fairly and objectively as possible and according to the rules.

On that note, I see very few people carry their CBJ booklets in to a comp, even to be signed. I find it very helpful to flip through and do a quick review of the rules since we don't judge as often as we cook. Dorky? Maybe. But at least when I leave I feel I've done my best.

God Job! I don't think as cooks that we could ask for anything more.

OK- Tops and Andy! Do you just fill around the edges of the box and between the thighs?

The boxes I've encountered had beds of Parsley on the bottom, and they were trimmed tight, no stem, almost all leaf. I'm not whining about picking off a piece of garnish, these were pasted to the thighs when picked out. It had to be wiped off.

BTW - those are very nice looking turn ins!

Thanks for the kuddos.

We take the throw away bottom pieces of lettuce and lay them on the bottom to perch up the meats. We then fill in the sides and anywhere there are large gaps. They are good to keep the food from tilting while delivering the boxes to the turn-in tents.

As for the parsely size; we try to have parsely with decent stem lenghts (break off bottom leaves) so that you can poke and secure them nice and deep. If you just cut the tops off, you'll have problems if you have to adjust the meats.

Mitchelina, I don't think it's dorky - I commend you. And I agree more of an emphisis should be put on judges refreshing themselves - REMEMBER all CBJ's (are invited to attend CBJ classes at no cost).

Hello my name is Bob, a KCBS member and CBJ from the Kansas City area.

Some other competitors and I got into a discussion that lead to a judging question.

If garnish gets stuck to a piece of chicken while the judge is taking her/his piece out of the turn in box, should the judge:

a: eat the sample with the garnish on and score based on the taste with the garnish taste
b: eat the sample with the garnish on and score based on the taste without the garnish taste
c: discard the garnish without point reduction
d: discard the garnish with point reduction

Reply from Mike Lake:

Bob:
Assuming that the garnish is legal. I think the obvious answer is
C. It would be up to the judge. Certainly any point reduction would not be in order.
Thanks for your interest.
Mike Lake

Thanks for the kuddos.

We take the throw away bottom pieces of lettuce and lay them on the bottom to perch up the meats. We then fill in the sides and anywhere there are large gaps. They are good to keep the food from tilting while delivering the boxes to the turn-in tents.

I hear that core at the bottom is good for that! :shock::twisted:

Okie Dokie, I will tweak my process a bit.

If the entry has a few large pieces attached, I will continue to remove them and proceed. Nothing different there, always done it that way. A common thing, especially with Parsley.

The other extreme is those entries with chopped garnish embedded into the entry. The garnish covers the entire bottom of the entry and is mixed well with the sauce used. For those, I will just take a paper towel and remove the attached garnish thoroughly.
That will assure that the taste is not tarnished by the garnish.
Easey Peasey.

Interesting thread to see where everyone is coming from. :lol:

TIM

Back