Outgrowing my 18.5" WSM. Does the 22" operate just like it?

One Drop seemed top hit on it - I'm definitely looking for more cooking surface and not necessarily overall capacity. I'm envious of the stick burner guys who have all that cooking surface. I don't need room for 10 butts but would like to get more than 2 racks of ribs or 1 brisket.

Yeah, the 22 WSM is the default upgrade...I guess i just secretly wish for something different since I have the 18. I don't want a stick burner though.
The Slow and Sear doesn't get you more cooking surface.
SNS_PLUS_3.jpg

It takes up at least a third of the cooking area. To cook more meat, you need to get more distance from the coals so you can cook directly over them.

If it's only for the increased grate size and not the overall capacity of the 22" WSM, I'd go against the grain here and say the best option is the performer. Check and make sure you still have enough real estate on the grate after what you use with the SnS. If you do, save the money and get the kettle, it's easier to set up, uses way less fuel, and you get all the benefits of reverse searing easily. You can add a rotisserie for more versatility, and/or a hover grill or similar to get a bit more grate save for in a pinch.

I have a kettle and a 22" WSM and I use the kettle far more often, it's just easier, and works better in cold weather if that is ever an issue. As for results, the learning curve from one to the other is minimal, just getting use to vent openings and how quickly to react to temp changes when bringing the heat up or down.
He's talking ribs and briskets, which means smoking.
22" Performer $349, plus the SnS $153 equals $502 and less capacity.
22" WSM $399
That's a lot of meat and beer money.

Last edited:
He's talking ribs and briskets, which means smoking.
22" Performer $349, plus the SnS $153 equals $502 and less capacity.
22" WSM $300
That's a lot of meat and beer money.

The 22” is $399, 18” is $299, and the 14” is $199. Not sure of another charcoal smoker in that price range that will get you more smoking real estate... I sold my 22” WSM to Sid Post and built a 110 gallon UDS for the very same reason. I maxed out my capacity of my WSM with two briskets.

Do they still have the Pro Q at Tractor Supply? Can't remember if it came in a 22" model or not but I remember it being a lot less expensive than a wsm.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Back