I Found Some Excellent LARGE Briskets - Too Large for my 18.5" WSM, Can I cut them & cook them?

RogerR.

Got Wood.
Locally I have found some excellent full packer Angus briskets in the 19/20 lb range. They are too long for my 18.5" cooker and I don't want to fold them.

Do you ever cut the brisket, leaving 1/2 with a flat & cap , and the other 1/2 a flat only?

If I do this, are there any tricks I should concern myself with when cooking the 2 different parts? I think I would freeze the flat for a later time and cook the point first.

Got any tips or suggestions for me?

Draping it over a bowl helps many to cook full ones on an 18. I'm sure someone has the pick. But you can very successfully cut it the way you described with the flat/point & flat division. Or separating the point from the flat and smoking separately too works well.

Cut off the thinnest part of the flat to use in chili or something because it might just fit and plus it will cook more evenly.

If you want to cut it, I would separate the flat and point and cook each separately. But, I've gotten better results cooking the whole packer. Draping it over a bowl or rib rack may help it fit, but those are big boys :-D

I'm a point guy. I'd trim the flat to fit and find a good use for it. Grind it for soups stews chili chop house burgers etc.

I prefer the 11-13#ers but I would probably buy the TRex brisket at a reasonable price. Let us know what you do. Interesting post. Thanks

I was in a surrounding town 30 mins from me today. Walked through their wal-mart I found a 10lb choice brisket. Not the best brisket but it was only 25 bucks. Had a craving for brisket. I normally have to order them and It would be Tuesday before I could pick it up. I'm excited because I'm cooking it tomorrow!

I laid it on the 18.5 to see if it would fit. It's slightly to long. I'm gonna trim the tips of the flat off and lay them to the side and eat them for a snack. Not sure how much bigger your briskets are compared to this one but I only have to trim 1-2 inches off each corner to make it a straight cut to fit on the 18.5.

I'm gonna keep my normal supplier but its nice to know I might be able to score a decent brisket once in a while there at this specific wal-mart. Not sure how often they keep it in stock tho.

put a rounded piece of wood underneath and cook fat cap down. Tuck in the pieces that are sticking out into the handles of the grate so it fits without any further contrivances in the cooker.

I guess it depends on how long these briskets are, but generally speaking, I've seen some pretty large pieces of meat fit like that.

+1 on the slice off some of the flat and use that for some other meal

speaking of slicing in half, Ive sliced briskets lengthwise as well. great for testing recipes side by side or just having a smaller cook while maintaining the point/flat ratio. That doesn't help your length conundrum though

You need one of these so you could hang it.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Weber-7472-Expandable-Smoking-18-Inch/dp/B00FDOOOVO/ref=pd_sim_86_5?ie=UTF8&dpID=41Hooz1CI3L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160%2C160_&refRID=1Y4WCDX1ZH3RBGBRQPQS"]Amazon.com : Weber 7472 Expandable Smoking Rack, 18-Inch : Grill Racks : Patio, Lawn & Garden@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41Hooz1CI3L.@@AMEPARAM@@41Hooz1CI3L[/ame]

You can cut it but the Mighty WSM 18 will hold more than you think. The biggest one I've done is 22 pounds:

11943o6.jpg

The SS bowl takes up the wasted dome space and the handles on the top rack keep the ends tucked in. I can promise it tastes just as good as laying flat.

4tvswo.jpg

The same applies to a rack or ribs. I use a rib rack and tuck the ends under the top rack handles. They all shrink and can eventually be wrapped and laid flat on the 18.

Here is another way for ribs.

3130yl5.jpg

16ku92.jpg

Good Luck!

Locally I have found some excellent full packer Angus briskets in the 19/20 lb range. They are too long for my 18.5" cooker and I don't want to fold them.

Do you ever cut the brisket, leaving 1/2 with a flat & cap , and the other 1/2 a flat only?

If I do this, are there any tricks I should concern myself with when cooking the 2 different parts? I think I would freeze the flat for a later time and cook the point first.

Got any tips or suggestions for me?

Don't even try it. To spare you the trouble and embarrassment, just send them to me and I will try and salvage them...

Back