Going to attempt to turn my 18.5 WSM into a PBC.

Fine cook! Did you use any wood for smoke? At first, i didn't like how I could move the crossbars. But now, I don't mind and I move the bars back and forth as I place and remove the food. I use grate grabber to hold and move the crossbars.

I double hook spare ribs for the piece of mind. You should get some metal kabob skewers for hanging other meat and veggies. It's fun. You can fit and cook lot of meat in 18.5 WSM with hooks and skewers. The best part is the easy cleanup. No messy grates or waterpan to clean. Just couple hooks.

Did not use any wood for this cook. If I add any next time it will be very little. Pit Barrel taste is much better than the way I had been smoking them. Those crossbars are just half circles with notches cut to ride the crossbrace and ride they do. I can still slide them but with a small amount of resistance and don't have to worry about them snagging on the meat and falling into the coals.

Great stuff, Toast. Thanks for starting a great thread & seeing it through to the end.

Couple things: Do you have a hook for your turkey fryer? If so, maybe that would be useful for pulling hooks off your smoker on the next cook?

Also, did hanging these make a material difference in your end product from your typical method of smoking? Ohhhh, man, those look outstanding!

"Gonna end up a big ol' pile of them bones!"

Thanks Frank. I do but I do all my turkeys injected and Cajun Fried in the Big Easy Oil less turkey fryer.

Hanging made a Juge Difference as the fire kissed food tasted much better than the way I've been doing it. I see why the PBC folks rave about it so.

Just entered them in the I'd Hit That Throwdown. Encourage others to enter this one too. It's open category! :thumb:

http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=253238

Last edited:
Leftovers. Only got one pic because LuzziAnn had a big knife and it was time to eet! Borther in law made off with one rack out of 3. This is the last one. May have to do it next weekend too.

kCgctsU.jpg

Last edited:
I worked from home today and cooked some food to take into work tomorrow for the staff at the office - the WSM performed magnificently with the Weber attachment, that arrived this morning.

I found you can wedge the foot under the clip and above the screw, it seats perfectly and doesn't budge. As mentioned earlier, the horizontal bars do come off too easily if the hooks stick to them, I quickly got the 'hang' of twisting the hook a bit to unstick it. Next time I will tie them down with a bit of wire.

I'm amazed at how well this setup worked, I made my own Montréal chicken seasoning (I toasted the coriander seeds first, made a noticeable difference!) and hung the halves with the probe at chicken level reading 250°, and brought the temperature up after a half hour.

An hour and half in they were perfect, skin crispy, juicy, and looking amazing. I ate the backs and some sausages I hung at lower heat after pulling the chicken off, for lunch, they were off the charts delicious. I put a potato on the probe and it was so perfectly cooked and fluffy after the chicken was ready I realised I should have improvised something to cook some more of them- next time I will buy some flat shish skewers as recommended and put vegetable and potatoes on when cooking higher heat like this again.

It took me no time to get the hang of cooking this style, and it opened up the possibilities by 100% for me. I had no trouble getting the WSM up to 300° at the end using lump charcoal.

So thanks all for the tips, it made everything so much easier!

Last edited:
I worked from home today and cooked some food to take into work tomorrow for the staff at the office - the WSM performed magnificently with the Weber attachment, that arrived this morning.

I found ou can wedge the foot under the clip and above the screw, it seats perfectly and doesn't budge. As mentioned earlier, the horizontal bars do come off too easily if the hooks stick them, I quickly got the 'hang' of twisting the hook a bit to unstick it. nest time I will tie them down with a bit of wire.

I'm amazed at how well this setup worked, I made my own Montréal chicken seasoning (I toasted the coriander seeds first, made a noticeable difference!) and hung the halves with the probe at chicken level reading 250°, and brought the temperature up after a half hour.

An hour and half in they were perfect, skin crispy, juicy, and looking amazing. I ate the backs and some sausages I hung at lower heat after pulling the chicken off, for lunch, they were off the charts delicious. I put a potato on the probe and it was so perfectly cooked and fluffy after the chicken was ready I realised I should have improvised something to cook some more of them- next time I will buy some flat shish skewers as recommended and put vegetable and potatoes on when cooking higher heat like this again.

It took me no time to get the hang of cooking this style, and it opened up the possibilities by 100% for me. I had no trouble getting the WSM up to 300° at the end using lump charcoal.

So thanks all for the tips, it made everything so much easier!

Going to try that wedge trick next time as it seemed to fit tightly in 3 out of the 4 corners. :thumb:

Back