THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

J

joeysmac

Hi there...I'm picking up my materials for a UDS today and wanted to get your thoughts/opinions (could be dangerous) on using:

a) grill paint on the inside of the UDS, and
b) using high-temp sealant on the intake valves and grate bolts (or basically any thing that goes through the outside of the UDS.

Bonus Question - Not exactly sure what was in the drum before, but I think it was some sort of powder substance...can I just burn it out a few times and consider it safe to eat out of (I'm not sure if there was a liner, but I don't think so)?

Thanks!

A-no paint on inside. Just season good.
B-IMHO not necessary
If not sure about inside of the drum a burn or 2 is definitely needed

Ditto to the no paint on the inside - unless it is a food safe enamel powder coat professionally applied.

The sealant can't hurt - especially if you're not welding. I'd do it but I tend to overdo things.

Rinse the drum with water, scrub with dishsoap, rinse again, burn, season

I did use peratex ulta copper gasket maker, probably not necessary, on all drilled holes being sure to remove all excess. My drum is airtight.

Back