Opinions: New Lodge Fish Pan?

Swine Spectator

is Blowin Smoke!
Name or Nickame
David
This is interesting to me:

https://shop.lodgemfg.com/product/fish-pan.asp

It is about the size of a hotel pan. I am thinking that it would be good for cooking sides on the Shirley. Maybe a large smoked mac-and-cheese baker?

Interested in ideas on other uses. What say ye- brethren???

It's on sale 23% off until midnight tonight 3/6/19. Should I pull the trigger???

David

Have a few Lodge skillets, a dutch oven, and a grill pan. All but the grill pan were purchased unseasoned. That's the most expensive Lodge piece I've seen.

That would be the perfect pan for my corn bread casserole to get the sides and bottom browned the way I like it, good find this is the first time I've seen that from Lodge.

I have a pan that looks almost like that but I don't think its a Lodge,paid $20 for it at a customers home that collects CI. Its a great piece and had forgotten about it so thanks :) for the reminder

I don't think you need a cast iron vessel for what you're doing. That pan is meant for frying over a strong heat source. I would look at carbon steel. The mass of the cast iron fish pan will take a long time to heat up if you don't have it over a flame. Less of an issue if you're going to leave it in for a few hours.

Cornbread Casserole? Do tell...

2 packages of Famous Daves cornbread mix, saute one 20oz bag of Walmart frozen red/green peppers and onion and add in one can of drained sweet corn.

Pour into cake pan, 400* for about 28 minutes. ~It's good eating, quick and easy.

You can use other cornbread mixes, but I like the Famous Daves mix it has some yellow cake mix in it so it's a little sweeter.

I think it’s pretty cool! The weight has to be immense though (15-20lbs I’d guess). It looks like it would fit nicely across two gas burners, but for serious oven baking, I kind of wish it had a lid.

I’d probably pass on it for now...but that’s just me.

The reference made in the video to "the commerce store" is the Lodge Outlet in Commerce GA. I went there when visiting my brother, had I not flown down a whole lot of stuff would have come home with me. :mrgreen:

Edit: it turns out this location has permanently closed.

Last edited:
I love cast iron but the maintenance and clean up do get old, especially for outdoor use.... for grilling/smoking I've switched to enameled cast iron or heavy gauge raw aluminum bake-ware. I get better performance with aluminum, especially on low temp smokers.

Last edited:
I have a similar pan, but it has a lid, and I'm not sure what brand it is. Very nice, but I can't remember the last time I used it. It is just too big to mess with. My favorite fish frying device is a 12qt CI dutch oven, on an induction burner.

Last edited:
Lodge Fish pan

I received mine today. I went shopping and stocked up on ingredients for the corn bread recipe and the lasagna recipe.

That's a nice pan, but I'm not sure what I'd use it for. Just seems big for a casserole...and I would rather use a hotel pan at 1/4 the weight. Looks like a nice fry pan...especially if the sides were a bit higher to block splatter.

As for smoking, I'm not a fan of putting my cast iron in the smoker. I feel it's too porous, and may hold on to the smoke...I have zero proof to back that up, and it's just a theory. Not to mention I rarely use my smoker as an oven.

I have to put that on my want list as soon as I find a place to store it. I'm hoping to build an outdoor kitchen this year but that's another story.

It would be awesome for a fish/shrimp/chicken fry. I have a small Teflon coated roasting pan I make a dish in on the gas stove that would be awesome on the smoker/pit/pellet grill.

Imagine searing these with smoke and then the whole cook with smoke rolling instead of in the oven.
Brown the meat either pork chops or chicken thighs then saute onions, bells and celery. Seared over coals would be awesome
100-2008.jpg

I added home grown white corn, green beans and mushrooms. That's a can of cream of mushroom soup, since then I've been adding a can of cream of celery too but I mix them together in a bowl with a little water and add after I add the meat.
100-2009.jpg

Add the meat and stir it around to distribute the soup/gravy, season again and bring to a boil before I set it in the oven. I try to keep the veggies together so it's easy to serve.
100-2012.jpg

375 in the oven for 75 minutes and it transforms into a delicacy. I serve it with egg noodles.
100-2014.jpg

Back