New Throwdown Concept; Masters - Cut #1 - Porterhouse Steak

I can only come up with responses that are too crude, but funny, for this forum. I haven't been a member long, so I don't want to get kicked out yet.

That is what the Wood Pile is for. If you stroll on over there, you'll see a thread called the Penalty Box. All those posts, ... or wannabe posts, can be put right there. You'll see a lot of familiar faces ... and they're serving Baileys. :thumb:

I do like the idea of the hero wielding the cut of meat. Definitely is something to put on the office door, but I would much rather have a certificate that says, for instance, that I am a "Certified Butt Master" -- I bet the competition in that one is going to be especially fierce.

Other highly competitive events: Turkey/chicken breasts. I'm thinking the hero would be a heroine instead... :heh:

There's a whole lot of talking on here but not much cooking :)

The way I figure it, if everyone else had as much trouble as I did finding a dang porterhouse, then I figure I've got a good shot at winning this one simply through attrition.

I have absolutely no problem, however, going around with the title "Porterhouse Master", even if I am the only one who bothers to enter, and you'd better believe I have no shame bragging about it until 2012, so someone better enter, or I'm walking away with this one :)

5463486993_9397919a8b.jpg

5463486803_022cda8510.jpg

5463486581_73e0d9bace.jpg

5464087116_9184be49be.jpg

5463485747_a5831f9181.jpg

Holy Farkamole!:shock: That is definitely a Porterhouse (capital P) and is one big hunka meat!:cool: There's not much room left on that plate. Looks great!:hungry:

Thanks big. 1.7lbs. The good thing about nobody nearby having any dang porterhouses was when I found a store with a primal I was able to have them cut to size. It was about 2" thick at the bone.

It wasn't the prettiest looking piece of meat, but my go-to butcher Dittmer's had a fire and they haven't re-opened yet, so I had to go searching for meat.

I like the idea. A cook can choose either a TD or a "Master Series". Win or not, seems fun and provides a great excuse to cook something potentially new. Pretty sweet concept.

I can only come up with responses that are to crude, but funny, for this forum. I haven't been a member long, so I don't want to get kicked out yet.

You're here to stay for a while Marty!:thumb:

Good guys don't get kicked out!

Cheers!

Bill

That is cooked perfectly Andy, nice work. Chris, I like the new series a lot and am really looking forward to all of the different categories.

Whoa I likey that steak! Looks awesome! I have a hard time finding nice porterhouses in my area.

I know that feeling after going to the only grocery store here at the lake yesterday and not seeing anything that even remotely resembled a porterhouse. :tsk:

Guess I'm going to have to pack up the dog and go back home to the wife and kids to get a porterhouse. Oh well, it will give me an excuse to buy more than one or two... :becky:

Chris, I love your idea, but I agree with Gore. You risk diluting the pool of contestants.

Throwdowns are a lot of fun but I find it hard to get into as many as I might like too.

Just my .02

Jim

Great first entry. Though I sure hope it wasn't sliced like that for sharing. Real men eat don't share their porterhouse. :wink:

Chris, I love your idea, but I agree with Gore. You risk diluting the pool of contestants.

Throwdowns are a lot of fun but I find it hard to get into as many as I might like too.

Just my .02

Jim

Probably should split this thread into two, but...

Yes, but at the same time it may open up more opportunities . I know a few weeks back they were doing the foo-foo TD, that while I appreciate the fact that I should stretch my skills and blah blah blah, I really wasn't feeling like experimenting that week. But if there had also be a Master Cut TD going on with, I might have been up for that. So, who knows. Maybe this will bring more people in... Time will tell.

I wonder though, I'm seeing this as more of a category that is about the meat and being back to basics. Not how exotic you can make it. Maybe that isn't how it is intended or other people are taking it. For a category like Porterhouse, I wonder how similar all the entries are going to look. I hope it doesn't all come down the how fancy you plate it and how good your camera skills are. Those aspect of the TDs holds little interest to me. But that is just me and unfortunately the world does not revolve around me (though it should).

Time will tell. I'm happy to be a part of the experiment, but I'm not sure I'm going to get in on PH due to time, etc.

Chris, do you have a list a the meat cuts organized in an order yet, so we can kind of look ahead and see what is coming next?

i honestly have no idea how these will go over, so your guess is as good as mine.

My intention wasn't necessarily to provide a meaty outlet to the foo-foo stuff (although for those with an aversion to foo-foo this will be another option), but instead to see what all people can do with one specific cut of meat...and then go right into another cut. How many times have you seen a thread titled, "I just bought a such-n-such chunk of meat, how should I prepare it?". With a little luck, just a link to the Master's thread on that cut shoudl do quite nicely really, and give them some options.

You can make your entry in a "back to basics" style, or go fancy. It's up to you. If you read the rules, you would see that there is nothing preventing someone from grinding up a Porterhouse steak and making smoked summer sausage out of it. I am sure whoever did that would get some verbal abuse for overkill in the sausage department, or maybe even called a steak murderer, but my point is that you are not limited to simply taking the best shot of a grilled/smoked version of that cut of meat in it's original form. Our first entry was not presented in that way, it was cut into slices arranged in a decoratie pattern along a plate, looking nothing like a porterhouse steak, but instead like just plain beefy goodness. So either a nice shot of a steak could win this one, or a creative dish that gets the juices flowing. Time will tell.

I do not have a list of all of the cuts. What I am going to do is pick the next weeks cut each week. Right now next weeks cut is Pork Spareribs. When it comes time to post that category, I will announce what the following weeks category will be. This should give everyone ample time to prepare.

Also, while I did not intend it to be this way, and I am certainly not encouraging it to be this way at all, it could wind up being like two separate divisions which people compete in. Then again, maybe not. I hope not, but who knows? This is for all of you to decide really as things progress over time.

Back