New Throwdown Concept; Masters - Cut #1 - Porterhouse Steak

You guys aren't really going to let me just walk away with this are you? Surely someone else must have a grill and a beefmonger :)

The steaks weren't as nice as I like, but I don't have time to be too fussy. I decided to make a million-dollar porterhouse:

IMG_1609.jpg

OK, the porterhouse was about $10, but I believe this is the last Foil Hat Rub in existence. I could easily sell this on ebay for a million dollars. Here it is on the grill:

IMG_1611.jpg

And here it is for dinner:

IMG_1487-1.jpg

Just my opinion here but.....It seems to me that since only the steak is allowed for an entry, doesn't it then become a photography contest? You season your steak properly, cook it to perfection, take a bad pic, and score a big "0" :confused: Most other TD's entries are voted on for their components and originality, how original can you get with a steak? Perhaps I am one of the few without any creativity, time to shut up now :tape:

I am a simple guy and when it comes to the King of Steaks, I don't want it to be complex. So, in keeping with the simple and straightforward theme, here is my Porterhouse.

I seasoned it and cooked it. Splatted a little butter mixed with Blue Cheese on top and ate it.......

There ya go

P1.jpg

The King of Steaks waiting for its' demise....
P2.jpg

By the way, that was 1.7lbs. I am stuffed!

Thanks for looking.

Cuban Coffee Crusted Porterhouse Steak

Well, thought I'd try my hand at a coffee dry rubbed steak, a Cuban recipe. I coarse ground coffee beans ( Costa Rica, it was all we had:icon_blush::-D), black peppercorns, brown sugar, parsley, and flour. Coated the porterhouse with olive oil, then heavily pressed the rub into the steak. Cooked over charcoals to rare. Flavor was exquisite to say that least. Thanks for looking.
ph1.jpg

ph2.jpg

ph3.jpg

ph5.jpg

ph4.jpg

Please use this for the entry shot. Thank you all for looking.
ph6.jpg

Dang Marty, did not intend to step on your post. Posted and there you were, with that fine steak ya cooked.

Those look great guys! Glad other people entered, it was getting lonely in here :)

Steaks look perfect too, now my only shot is to win on a technicality. Someone get out the chains, I'm calling for a measurement on those tenderloins!

Just my opinion here but.....It seems to me that since only the steak is allowed for an entry, doesn't it then become a photography contest? You season your steak properly, cook it to perfection, take a bad pic, and score a big "0" :confused: Most other TD's entries are voted on for their components and originality, how original can you get with a steak? Perhaps I am one of the few without any creativity, time to shut up now :tape:
You must have missed this part of my post a few posts back...

You can make your entry in a "back to basics" style, or go fancy. It's up to you. If you read the rules, you would see that there is nothing preventing someone from grinding up a Porterhouse steak and making smoked summer sausage out of it. I am sure whoever did that would get some verbal abuse for overkill in the sausage department, or maybe even called a steak murderer, but my point is that you are not limited to simply taking the best shot of a grilled/smoked version of that cut of meat in it's original form. Our first entry was not presented in that way, it was cut into slices arranged in a decoratie pattern along a plate, looking nothing like a porterhouse steak, but instead like just plain beefy goodness. So either a nice shot of a steak could win this one, or a creative dish that gets the juices flowing. Time will tell.

Don't forget, while you can not have sides, you are allowed to have your item upon a bed of something, or dressed with something, so nowhere should anyone be getting the idea this is a photography contest of the best looking steak. If you want to make steak fajitas with a porterhouse steak...go for it. Just don't have sides.

I buy @ the wrong time Porterhouse

I ran around to three different places before finding a porterhouse. The local Raleys had some prepackaged but the largest was only about 1.6 lbs and I was looking for something in the 2+ lbs range. I thought I was lucky after I walked over to the butcher counter and spotted one weighing 2.12 lbs in the meat case and quickly bought it.

IMG_7351.jpg

Late last night I logged in and saw that Marty got his porterhouse at the same store but unlike me, Marty knows how to shop when there's a sale and he didn't pay $10.49/lb like I did. :mad: I need to pay better attention to the grocery ads. :tsk:

It was a pretty thick one @ about 1 3/4 inches:

IMG_7359.jpg

I seasoned it with a garlic flavored olive oil, some a simple montreal rub, and a little fresh ground pepper & put it on my Small Egg indirect @ 300 for a bit:

IMG_7366.jpg

Then removed the plate setter, cranked up the Egg to 500+ and gave it a sear:

IMG_7377.jpg

It was pulled with an IT in the high 120s and after resting under some foil raised up to 135 but was plenty juicy:

IMG_7384.jpg

I didn't do anything fancy with it afterwards other than make a good chunk of it disappear :hungry:.

Thanks for looking.

With all these amazing looking steaks...when it comes time to vote...I don't think I'll ever be able to choose, I'll just get hungry for steak.:hungry:

Nice steaks, gang! I would be proud to be served any of them! (hint hint hint) :-D

First......I like the idea. I won't be able to participate a whole lot, but then I can't in TD's either. Life just gets in the way.

Second.....$22+ for a farkin steak?!?!?!?! Dang....I paid about that for 2 whole butts last Saturday!! Just sayin!

Third.....All that beef looks GREAT! Sure to find our first Porterhouse Master here!!!

And forth....Marty......don't happen to have a photo of that bad boy on the grill do you? I don't mean to be an arse at all.....but I'm a stickler for the rules. To quote Chris:

4. You must submit at least one photo of your cut of meat in raw form, another one while it is on the cooker (note it does not still have to be in whole form while cooking), and at least one photo of your completed dish. You can submit other photos if you wish, but you must include these 3 to showcase the piece of meat, how you're cooking it, and the result.

Surely you'd be allowed to add a photo and have it count, no?

Back