Open a BBQ restaurant, they said. It will be fun, they said

Jermey, I catered my first event this weekend (small for you only 50 and a a backyard BBQ) and of course one of the biggest hits was the pickles (we pickled onions and pepper slices as well). I had to spend most of my time coming out from the slicing and pit to explain all about this thread and how you shared the pickle recipe. So thank you. Here is a picture of the table and the pickled goodies.

photo%2B4%2B%281%29.JPG

Icebox, thanks for stopping in on Saturday. It was great to meet another brethren, and your generous tip was greatly appreciated by the staff. Hope you can make it in again in the future.

Very nice looking pickles, BreakingBBQ. Glad they were a hit with everyone!

So a quick update from the weekend. As expected, it was a new record. Friday tipped the scales, and then Saturday outdid that. Fri-Sun I sold just shy of 900 meals. Not bad I guess.

The concession trailer was a bit of a flop, but that's ok since it's still very much a learning experience. On Saturday our location sucked as we hard to park on the side of a building and were largely hidden from street traffic. Then there was an issue where we couldn't get power to the trailer because something kept tripping the breaker in the building. Just when we got that straightened out, we sprung a water leak and the inside flooded. So, I guess it's good that we weren't busy so we could learn how to address the many new challenges of trying to serve off-site.

Oh, and water issues never seem to stop. We had a drain line bust this weekend and do a little more kitchen flooding, and the hand sink behind the line apparently has been leaking for a long time because we opened the cabinet underneath and it is a complete nasty disaster. So, I get to play plumber tomorrow. Again.

Wow. The US-127 garage sales had people going off on side streets for more sales. It was nuts. Would have loved to have had a food trailer for that here.

I also made your pickles to serve with my pulled pork for our local Youth Invasion. 52 kids and 30 adults ate 4 jars of those babies. Thanks so mych for the recipe.

:thumb:

Funny that this thread keeps coming back to the pickles. :-D I have not tried them yet because I am missing a few ingredients, but I want some so bad. I'm thinking this is one of those recipes that I need to hand to my wife and wait for her to surprise me.

Funny that this thread keeps coming back to the pickles. :-D I have not tried them yet because I am missing a few ingredients, but I want some so bad. I'm thinking this is one of those recipes that I need to hand to my wife and wait for her to surprise me.

I think I might have to make a batch for the bash in October.

I think I might have to make a batch for the bash in October.
I'd be interested in trying this recipe made by someone other than me. I think I screwed it up somewhere (choice of spices, ie. fresh vs ground from a spice can, added spices to boiling brine, and probably something else) and the pickles were OK but not as good as I was hoping.

I'd be interested in trying this recipe made by someone other than me. I think I screwed it up somewhere (choice of spices, ie. fresh vs ground from a spice can, added spices to boiling brine, and probably something else) and the pickles were OK but not as good as I was hoping.

We keep getting more and more cucumbers from our garden and my wife is making batches of these pickles. They are good stuff. Problem is that friends keep getting them and I can't keep any at the house.

I made my first batch exactly to the recipe came out fine

then I tried a double batch and for some reason they did not come out as well, maybe I did not measure carefully, I dont know

I am getting ready to make more, going back to the single batch this time

Try cutting the salt by half.

So with Labor Day a couple weeks away are you planning on having the new Shirley up & smoking?
Have enjoyed reading & following your thread.

I too tried a double batch. Tasty, but too much salt for my palate. Folks at work liked them though!

Jeremy: much continued success! And, please keep us updated. This has been a fascinating story.

Thanks!

Bruce

I made my first batch exactly to the recipe came out fine

then I tried a double batch and for some reason they did not come out as well, maybe I did not measure carefully, I dont know

I am getting ready to make more, going back to the single batch this time

I think I have made these pickles 4 or 5 times. Usually I buy pickling cucumbers from HEB and have loved them. This last batch was home grown cucumbers, and well... Not so much. Either I misread the recipe when I was making them or the home grown cukes didn't make them as good.

*IF* I go to the bash, I'll try to make a fresh batch to bring a long too. I use half the salt as the recipe calls for and use Habanero peppers in the brine. Did I mention we like spicy? :mad2:

A few more brethren stopped in the past two days. Some folks from WI I believe, and Neil popped in twice today. It's so cool to see online friends making it in.

Right now, trying to grasp with all the catering/event business. Starting to book stuff out to November already. Wedding receptions, rehearsal dinners, retirement parties, etc. Of course, there's the extra logistical hurdle because of our location. Being right on the state line, we're getting requests from Indiana and Michigan, and about 4 different counties in each state, so some of the licensing/permit issues aren't fun/cheap. Like the $90 fee per day just to open the concession trailer in Berrien County.

But as I've said all along, these are the good kind of problems to have. It's far better than sitting in an empty restaurant begging and praying people come in. Just wish I had the time, resources, and money to take everything that's thrown at us, but so far going slow and steady and focusing on a quality product and excellent service is by far the best way to go.

I think I have made these pickles 4 or 5 times. Usually I buy pickling cucumbers from HEB and have loved them. This last batch was home grown cucumbers, and well... Not so much. Either I misread the recipe when I was making them or the home grown cukes didn't make them as good.

*IF* I go to the bash, I'll try to make a fresh batch to bring a long too. I use half the salt as the recipe calls for and use Habanero peppers in the brine. Did I mention we like spicy? :mad2:
This happened to me as well. From-the-garden cucumbers were too bitter, even after trimming on the dark green parts. With Kirby cucumbers from the store, they were fantastic. I did them along with the Serious Eats bread and butter recipe, which is also fantastic.

Back