OK_ 1st Butt & 'Dera ready to start ... Now What ??

tommy_bandera said:
... you guys said I might have to sacrifice a few, so I grabbed these 'on sale'.
We only have one store that makes fresh pork sausage, but they do a decent job. If I use their bulk sausage, do I just roll and pack it really tight by hand so it feels like the packaged ones?

You could shape it like a Johnson for the entertainment value. Roll and pack will work stuff it with Cheese and some Jalapeno's as well

tegallegos said:
Learn something new every day...I don't always soak. What is so bad about soaking...Ok I will go and read the archives that is why I am here to learn.

Thomas

Will prevent clean combustion making sweet blue hard to acheive. :cool:

brdbbq said:
Never Ever Never Ever SOAK

Correction

NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER NEVER SOAK. :eek: :eek:

Sweet blue is obtained by a clean burning fire. Clean combustion. Wet wood is NOT burning clean, its making steam and smoldering. That smouldering is going to impart bitterness to the food. Same as green wood, or improperly seasoned wood. we take it even furtehr and preheat the wood on top of the firebox to help it ignite faster and not smolder even for the few minutes.

The soaking is for when you use chips on a grill to slow down their burning. Theres no place for it in offset cooking. We are usually real open minded to 99.99% of the things. But there are a couple rules of thumb we really try to get across.

NO Lighter Fluid
NO Soaking.

willkat98 said:
And no mustard

That's no MAYO, not no mustard.

Now you have gone and done it, you have put me over the edge. I was happy on the road to being a farker, and wasn't going to post anymore to remain "on the road", but I had to stand up for mustard.

tommy_bandera said:
Is that a problem for the Butt in terms of the end result tasting strange? I have never burned Pecan before. T_B

No, pecan is fantastic for smoking. It is my favorite smoking wood by far. It's a light hickory but you don't need to be worried about imparting a bitterness like hickory (don't worry, what you've got going won't be bitter). Only thing I'd ask is how aged is the pecan you're burning? As long as it isn't green, you're good to go.

tommy_bandera said:
Got the smoker holding nicely at 240*F and the Butt is at 140*F. Almost 3 hours in.T_B

Nicely done. You're getting close to the plateau. Don't be discouraged if the temp in the butt pegs around 160 for a while (up to 1-2 hours). It happens as the fibers break down into that lucious Q you're shooting for. Are you going to foil?

If you foil don';t forget to spray the meat heavy before sealing it in the foil.

Start the next fatty now. when the 1st is tasted it will not last long, and the other is going to be needed.

Mustard is good!

Looks great! Great job!

Try some Soft Scrub with Bleach on that countertop should come right out!

icemn62 said:
If you foil don';t forget to spray the meat heavy before sealing it in the foil.

Start the next fatty now. when the 1st is tasted it will not last long, and the other is going to be needed.

Don't foil, almost as bad as MAYO. If you do foil, may as well throw it in the oven...

If the bark is set-up, spray it once every hour or half-hour with apple juice or the spray of your choice.

As you can see, there are a lot of paths to BBQ nirvana. Gonna have to weed thru the different opinons and make a choice about what will work for you.

4 hrs in ... Butt is at 155*F .....

..... broke the rules and ran to WalMart for some apple juice. How do I know if bark is set enough to spritz? All things considered, I'm really pleased! Thanks for continuing to prop me up.

Here's a pic from just a minute ago.

T_B

Attachments

• Butt1_4hrs_DSCF0792_1.jpg
    Butt1_4hrs_DSCF0792_1.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 81
From the looks of it, you're Q'ing like an old pro. Bark on the butt is looking good, can probably go to the spray when you need to. Fattie is looking great, too.... Did you beef up the amount of smoke you were putting out?

Fatty looks done. What is the temp in it?

Are you attracting the neighbors yet? What is the beverage of choice? Are you having fun?

Remember to have fun. this is going to be one of the best days in years for you. And wait till you and the wife sit down for dinner and you see her eyes light up, and the smile on her face as she goes for the 2nd bite.

T go to cattle call and introduce yourself. Kinda of rundundant now, but at least give us the opportunity to welcome you to the group. More pics, and keep up the good job looks like a great smoke day for you

Back