OK_ 1st Butt & 'Dera ready to start ... Now What ??

Sounds like the cook is going well. Would love to be with you. Nothing like watching someone use their smoker for the 1st time. Would not tell ya what to do , but would keep ya company. Then you could blame that mustard stain on me.

Your guys really make this geat! I feel like decades ago

learning how to drive!
Temps have stabilized nicely (after several door openings) 225*F, Fatty is at 160*F .. now about 1.5 hours into the cook. Thanks for the reminder about keeping the dampers open! I had read that earlier with all your helpful Replies and it stuck.
Here are a couple of pics.
Regards,
T_B

Attachments

• Cook1_Fire_DSCF0790_1.jpg
    Cook1_Fire_DSCF0790_1.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 84
  • TemporaryThermometer_DSCF0791_1.jpg
    TemporaryThermometer_DSCF0791_1.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 83
If the temps keeps rising, try opening the lid to the firebox and stick a piece of metal or non-melting, non-burning item under the lid to form a gap for some of the heat to escape. You'll still get heat flowing into the pit, but you need to watch out for combustion of the wood in the firebox. I usually do this at the point where all the wood is gone and I'm burning on charcoal only.

Things are sounding good. Be careful when adding wood or lump, the temps can climb quickly. Just put a small piece in at a time and wait for about 5 minutes for it to settle. Also, don't worry TOO much about the temp. Just try to keep it in the neighborhood of 225. It will vary some, but that is not going to affect the outcome.

Trying again after resize ... duuhh

Butt and Fatty one hour in ?

T_B

Attachments

• Fatty_Butt2_1hour_DSCF0789_1.jpg
    Fatty_Butt2_1hour_DSCF0789_1.jpg
    77.4 KB · Views: 81
Look at that shiny new Bandera!!

Looking good my friend!!! Next time I would put a whole lot more rub on, but that is me.

This is fun watching someone's first cook.

man.. its so great the way the whole world is chiming in.. its been a while since we walked someone thru the whole cycle start to finish.. brings back the ole times :eusa_clap :eusa_clap.

TB.. i am not sure if this was mentioned in here, but your door thermo is reading 250, thats great... BUT DOUBLE CHECK the temps at the grate where the meat is.. use an oven thermometer or something. Your door can say 250 and it can be 300 in the middle of the grate. Eventually, you will know what your actual pit temps are when the door thermo reads 250.

Also, once you find your 'favorite' temp.. (we all range from 215-270).. We all cook at different ranges... IMO, its not that important.. RANGES are whats cooking. Im not so picky... 230.. 250.. 255.. who cares.... as long as your NOT real low.... and even the high side over 300 has its place(and technique) which you'll learn later on. Anyway, once you find your favorite spot on the thermometer, rotate the thermometer so that spot points straight up at 12 oclock position. That way, without caring what the number says, you can glance at the thermometer form across the yard and as long as it says 12 oclock, you know your ok.

When u get a chance after this cook, buy some pop-n-fresh biscuits. get about 20 of them. fire up the bandera and bring it to temp. then place the biscuits on farious places on different shelves. Observe how the biscuits cook. this will map the chambers characteristics for you... where your hot spots are and where the cooler spots are.

Enojoy the day.. ! we're all watchin and livin our first day again thru you.

Took Fatty off at 167*F ... remote temp probe. It seems to

.... be cooked thru, but looks like the pic. Should it be more 'crusty' ... and, if so, should it go back in?

T_B

Great comments on the temp issues!

I'm putting an oven thermometer in there right now to see what's happening in the middle.

This Forum is unbelievable!!

T_B

Dang this is fun!! Just got done chowin a couple burgers I fixed on the Aussie last night. Bellys happier and I get to read and learn...
ModelMaker

One of my favorite tools is an instant read therm. Poobah is right about the important temp is the one at grate level. Keep the up the good work, we are all enjoying this.

Would need to see how "crusty" your fatty is to tell if it needs to be more crusty. Let it rest and taste it. The 1st one can be sacrificed to make room for the second. You do have more to go into the smoker......

Things are looking great.

tommy_bandera said:
.... be cooked thru, but looks like the pic. Should it be more 'crusty' ... and, if so, should it go back in?

T_B

My fatties are usually darker with a nice bark. I have never really checked the temps, instead I cook them for 4 hours at a nominal 225. I usually have them right above the water pan. Also when you cut it open, it will have a nice red smoke ring.

How much smoke are you getting...you are using hickory and pecan right? I usually use chunks pecan and if I remember to soak them I do (they will smolder longer if soaked). If the fatty looks like the first pic I would say to little smoke. The smoke will tend to darken the meat coat all metal around and of course produce the ring.

More smoke

Thomas

tegallegos said:
How much smoke are you getting...you are using hickory and pecan right? I usually use chunks pecan and if I remember to soak them I do (they will smolder longer if soaked). If the fatty looks like the first pic I would say to little smoke. The smoke will tend to darken the meat coat all metal around and of course produce the ring.

More smoke

Thomas

Never Ever Never Ever SOAK

brdbbq said:
Never Ever Never Ever SOAK

Learn something new every day...I don't always soak. What is so bad about soaking...Ok I will go and read the archives that is why I am here to learn.

Thomas

Soaking gives you steam, not smoke.

What kind of fattie are you using? I would think it would be darker too. Usually takes about 3-4 hours. Did you calibrate your instant read and digital thermometers? Put the tips in boiling water. Should read 212. If it doesn't, they are off.

Hey, I'm liking this! I can see the difference between the ....

....Royal Oak Natural and the generic (from Mexico) Mesquite charcoal in a fairly short time. When the temp starts to sag, I can fine tune it with the Royal Oak. If it drops too far, the Mesquite really brings it back quickly. Since I was only able to get Pecan prunings (mostly less than 2-inches diameter), I am just tossing in a few and the smoke smells really fragrant.

Is that a problem for the Butt in terms of the end result tasting strange? I have never burned Pecan before.

Since the Butt is near the middle, and the door (instant read) thermometer is also near middle, the oven thermometer next to the Butt is reading very close to it. Got the smoker holding nicely at 240*F and the Butt is at 140*F. Almost 3 hours in.

T_B

Using charcoal for heat and the Pecan for smoke should work just fine.

Fatty is back in. (Farmland Original Pork Sausage) ..

... you guys said I might have to sacrifice a few, so I grabbed these 'on sale'.
We only have one store that makes fresh pork sausage, but they do a decent job. If I use their bulk sausage, do I just roll and pack it really tight by hand so it feels like the packaged ones?

I put a large cutting board over the yellow stain .... which makes sense for chopping the Butt. That will give me until at least Saturday to keep working on it.

T_B

Fatty should get dark brown and sink a little between the grates. If it is still sitting high like fake breasts, it ain't done yet!

Back