Offset Smoker Purchase

3_Barks_BBQ

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Brandon
Hey everyone,

I’m looking for some advice on an offset smoker. Ideally I would like a 120 gallon tank smoker or potentially a 250 gallon. I have done research on a couple major players such as Meadow Creek, Fat Stack, and Moberg. The Fat Stack 120 has stood out to me, but shipping is a killer to get it to the east coast. I was wondering if anyone knows other pit makers based on the east coast, that way shipping isn’t a killer. Or if you have any other suggestions etc.

Thanks in advance for the help.

Meadowcreek’s are literally made in your back yard...in New Holland Pa which I believe is one county over from you.

You are probably splitting hairs comparing these. All that you listed are excellent quality smokers. Given Meadowcreeks long history, top build quality and proximity to you, it would be a disservice to you to recommend anything else.

JMHO.

Primitive pits has a 250 gallon. They r in Georgia. I ordered a 24x48 from their sister company, Workhorse pits, but haven’t received it yet. Primitive pits provides pits for lot of commercial restaurants. Check them out

Actually, someone on here recently took delivery of a primitive pits 250 gallon and posted some pics...I’ll try and find the thread

Here it is...bad ass rig imo

https://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287502

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Last edited:
If a direct flow is what you are looking for, check out Primitive or their sister company workhorse. They are in Georgia, and shipping might be lower to the east coast. They have several sizes to chose from. I have a big want for a Primitive or moberg 250.

Meadowcreek’s are literally made in your back yard...in New Holland Pa which I believe is one county over from you.

You are probably splitting hairs comparing these. All that you listed are excellent quality smokers. Given Meadowcreeks long history, top build quality and proximity to you, it would be a disservice to you to recommend anything else.

JMHO.
Amen, amen, and amen! Support your local family-business manufacturers! If someone near where you live makes a solid product and it's time to buy something like it, that's your answer.

I recently bought a wood pellet smoker from someone who makes them twenty minutes from my house. There's nothing like forming a face-to-face relationship with the men who make the things we buy. Or with those for whom we make things ourselves.

JMHO.

I do like the Meadow Creek Pits and I love the Meadow Creek Store. I'm really thinking about buying their product, but I also really like the look of the propane tank smokers without the black finish.

More research to be done and am researching primitive pits now as well. Thanks to everyone for sharing their opinions!

I also really like the look of the propane tank smokers without the black finish.

If you want a smoker without paint, jump in your truck and go talk to Jesse and Melvin about it. I'm sure they can pull something off the line before it heads to the paint booth. You could also have them put an extra handle here, a temp probe there . . .

I just put a deposit in on a 24” x 48” Rockin W Smokers Competition cart model built on 12” golf cart wheels. I needed to be able to move it up from my pole barn to the house easily. They also build propane tank style smokers. You might want to check with them. They are in Texas so the shipping may be an issue. Daniel Wright is the owner and is a really good guy. He spent 45 minutes on the phone with me explaining all the details of his pits. What sealed the deal for me was the way their air intake system preheats the air to help the smoker burn clean and easy in weather. Very important up here in the north.

The link to the Primitive Pits 250 is my cooker. JD and the team at both Primitive Pits and Workhorse are true professionals. My smoker is extremely well built and cooks evenly across. The engineering that goes into his builds is very impressive. Best of luck!

I think Meadow Creek is a no brainer considering your location. As others have stated they're custom builders, so if you don't want a paint job I have zero doubts they will oblige. Gas prices are steadily going up, and shipping is going to keep on increasing with those prices. Meadow Creek is definitely on the "high end" in terms of price and quality, but it's also a legacy-quality cooker. You'll be able to use it your whole life and pass it down or sell it if desired.

It's not made locally, but Northern Smokers in Exton, PA is a reseller of HBT Smokers, which are fabricated in Guntersville, AL. I am eyeing up their patio chub for a purchase this spring. They are very well constructed and appear to be solid value for the money. I was impressed by the build when I checked it out. I am also looking at Meadow Creek, but haven't made it out to kick the tires yet.

Green Money Fabrications are based in Jersey and seem to do some nice work, but the owner was not the most responsive when we were communicating via e-mail. I didn't pursue it much, but it made me want to go in another direction. Just some other possibilities to explore if you are on the east coast. Options seem to be more limited out this way.

Well high from Phoenixville Meadowcreek makes an awesome smoker and it is local Smoke'n Dudes sell them out of Ben Salem and you can get them where they are made in New Holland Contact Smoke'n Dudes and Talk to them Nice friendly people

Back