Not Q..... My G-ma & mom's crawfish bisque

Wow that is glorious!

Mmmmm that looks awsome. I like mud bugs a lot an never have had them that way. If I can convince my wife and trick my daughter ( cause she is not a fish and seafood fan) I may have to venture there in the near future. Otherwise there will be more for me to enjoy..darn the luck!

hubba-hubba-smiley-emoticon.gif

I'm not sure where I can find crawfish around here, but I would love the recipe, Jeanie!

Thanks for the pictures and the detailed post!

Thank you Omar, Bob and Husker! :)

Such a great post in many ways Jeanie. The food is fantastic and yes the recipe would be great!

More important is the love and memories we associate with cooking and eating. I have my Grandmother's cast iron cookware and some of her copper cookware. I think of her every single time I use it.

Greg, thanks! Like you.... I bet your Grandmother was a great cook. Something about using old pots and utensils, you can feel the love they put into the meal. :)

ssv, Wolverine and Slackdog, thanks so much!!

Adams, thanks!! I use that burnt spoon when I want the meal to be special. :becky:

Jim, thank you!! :)

Jeanie,

That looks wonderful. Truly a labor of love to make that recipe. But the reward is worth it I'm sure. Where do you get the crawdads? Us non-Cajun folks say crawdads. My Cajun friends look at me weird when I use that word! How many hours to peel and clean the crawdads? Recipe would be appreciated.

Robert

Thank you Robert! In my area of Oklahoma they are called crawdads. :-D
The local grocery store carries them. During the summer, I like to catch my own using a home made trap.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2009/06/homemade-crawdad-traps.html

Oh yeah you have some coonass in ya :becky::thumb::thumb:, awesome job Jeanie :clap2::clap2::clap2::clap2:

Ty, thanks so much! I'm honored to be called part coonass. :becky: :hug:

• Thanks
Reactions: gtr
Looks fantastic, Ms Jeanie!!! Them crawfish are super versatile!! And you are correct (as usual) a bisque is a labor of love... I can remember Grandmaw making bisque for family reunions... Took her awhile, and all the Aunts would pitch in and help...

Thank you Gerard! My family reunions were just like yours! Mom and my Aunts would spend the day in the kitchen stuffin' heads and stirring up the roux. I loved listening to them talk and laugh. :-D

Ross and Marty, thank you! I will post the recipe asap. :)

Pitbull, thank you! I bet your Grandma's bisque was delicious!

Thank you Jamaica, George and Blue!

Mmmmm that looks awsome. I like mud bugs a lot an never have had them that way. If I can convince my wife and trick my daughter ( cause she is not a fish and seafood fan) I may have to venture there in the near future. Otherwise there will be more for me to enjoy..darn the luck!

JermoQ Thanks! Hope you give this a try. I'm like you, if no one else eats bugs, that's just more for me. :-D

Thank you pmad, HOG FAN and CarlWayne!

Why yes, Jeanie I'll be happy to come to dinner! I wouldn't miss such a lovely invitation and meat too! :mrgreen:

Jed, you have a standing invitation! Thanks! :-D

Ron thank you!!

Good lord i am not even worthy to post in this thread.... Wow!!! That is spectacular!!!! I would love me some of that.... Just awesome

Thanks for the kind comment Paul. I know you could cook circles around me. :thumb:

My Grandma and mom's crawfish bisque recipe....
This is how it's written down.
(for my cook, I stuffed 60 heads)

Put 40lbs of crawfish in a tub, sprinkle with salt to purge, rinse well.
Scald and clean the crawfish, separate head from body. Clean the head hollow, put into a pot of water with 2 TBs baking soda, boil til clean. Rinse.

Stuffing for Heads

3lbs tails
2 cups seasoned bread crumbs
2 large onions
3 sticks celery
1 large bell pepper
1 cup green onions-chopped
1/2 cup parsley-chopped
1 cup Pet milk
3 eggs
1 TBS salt
1 TBS red pepper (cayenne)

Clean and boil about 150 heads, grind tail meat, onions, celery and pepper.
Mix this with remaining ingredients in a large bowl. Push into heads, roll the stuffed part of each head in flour. Fry to set the stuffing. ( I fry in an oil butter mix)

Gravy for Heads

1 cup flour
1/2 cup oil (shortening or lard or a butter mixture can be used)
2 large onions-chopped
3 celery sticks-chopped
1 large green pepper-chopped
1/2 cup parsley-chopped
3/4 cup green onions-chopped
1 can (pint) tomatoes. (home canned tomatoes were used. One can of rotel can be used)
1 8oz can of tomato sauce
1 TBS liquid crab boil (or more to taste) This was a modern addition to the recipe
3 cloves garlic-chopped
salt and red pepper to taste
2 quarts watern (or stock)

Make the roux, when dark add the onions, celery, pepper and garlic, simmer on low til onions are clear.
Add tomatoes (rotel), tomato sauce, liquid crab boil and one quart of water.
Cook slow for 30 minutes.
Add tails, green onions, parsley and another quart of water. Cook some more.
Put the heads in, salt and red pepper to taste. Simmer 45 minutes on low.
Serve over a scoop of rice.
Makes 150 heads and 2 gallons of gravy.

Remember to put love in the pot too! :thumb:

Thanks again Brethren. :)

If anyone is interested in catching their own, here's an easy crawdad trap design that works well.

http://cowgirlscountry.blogspot.com/2009/06/homemade-crawdad-traps.html

Looks great! I'm starting to wonder if you are really from oklahoma; that dish looks like it is from south of Shreveport.

My mom used to make this when we were young. A crawfish bisque is axiomatically a labor of love. If you don't love cooking you aren't going to spend the time it takes to make a true crawfish bisque.

My mom uses a shortcut now. She just makes "crawfish meat balls" and skips the shells.

""Thank you Gerard! My family reunions were just like yours! Mom and my Aunts would spend the day in the kitchen stuffin' heads and stirring up the roux. I loved listening to them talk and laugh.

Pitbull, thank you! I bet your Grandma's bisque was delicious!""

It was to die for. I'm actually a South Louisiana boy and your comment about Mom, the Aunts and my Grandmother in the kitchen is right on. To make it even better it all took place on their farm. I think about those days pretty often, and this thread did it again..:thumb:

Looks great! I'm starting to wonder if you are really from oklahoma; that dish looks like it is from south of Shreveport.

My mom used to make this when we were young. A crawfish bisque is axiomatically a labor of love. If you don't love cooking you aren't going to spend the time it takes to make a true crawfish bisque.

My mom uses a shortcut now. She just makes "crawfish meat balls" and skips the shells.

Thank you Guest! My mom was a southerner. I grew up eatin' grits, crawdads n gumbos.
I love crawfish balls too. So much easier than stuffing heads but when I make bisque, I have to go the long route or it doesn't "feel" right to me. :-D

""Thank you Gerard! My family reunions were just like yours! Mom and my Aunts would spend the day in the kitchen stuffin' heads and stirring up the roux. I loved listening to them talk and laugh.

Pitbull, thank you! I bet your Grandma's bisque was delicious!""

It was to die for. I'm actually a South Louisiana boy and your comment about Mom, the Aunts and my Grandmother in the kitchen is right on. To make it even better it all took place on their farm. I think about those days pretty often, and this thread did it again..:thumb:

Pitbull that sounds great. We must have had similar childhoods. Pretty awesome way to be raised. Thanks for your post!

That is such an incredible meal jeanie! Thanks for posting the recipe!

I also enjoyed the story about your family and the spoon.
I have cookware from my mother and grandmother!

Short story. (sorry for the hijack)

My grandmother was the head cook for a live-in missionary school for 25 years when I was growing up. To get to go stay the weekend there and watch my grandma cook for 50+ missionaries in the kitchen are some of my best childhood memories.

Their schools kitchen is now named after my grandma! :biggrin1:

C'est bon! Eligant, beautiful.

Got some tails in the freezer and good homemade stock. Gumbo soon!!!!

Love those stuffed heads! May do that (without the bisque) just to serve as appetizers. Fantastic!! Thanks for sharing! You always have something spectacular.

Back