A Molcajete Mixto

cowgirl

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Name or Nickame
jeanie
Sorry... picture heavy!

These are served at the local cafes/restaurants. It's a lot cheaper to make my own.

making a marinade for the meat..
jON2q0w.jpg

I went with chicken breasts that were already butterflied.
We5ntN0.jpg

skirt steak..
KAvrYLG.jpg

XuiTE2F.jpg

I made two sauces... tomatillo and red.

Roasted and blended...

nfa3NHr.jpg

d9zwcRH.jpg

nUi4n7U.jpg

prepped the cactus, cheese, onions, salvadorian chorizo..

StceDkp.jpg

gaurECP.jpg

heating the molcajete over the fire..

OttMkvx.jpg

grilling the chicken, skirt steak, chorizo, cactus, peppers....the pot of red sauce.

fpOlKGQ.jpg

hz6NnML.jpg

FOzHDGp.jpg

TGLkxft.jpg

added seasoned shrimp..

Q9AVJzW.jpg

iaxwWBS.jpg

ewSb9i3.jpg

grilled some panella cheese...

UmWm0B0.jpg

hot tortillas and called er good.

Jfi8vwM.jpg

DLCje0Q.jpg

Started the build...

The tomatillo sauce simmers in the hot molcajete..
added cheese.

va2GTGN.jpg

added strips of skirt steak, chicken, cactus, the chorizo, jalapenos..

sQXySD3.jpg

more tomatillo sauce and then the shrimp, onions, grilled panella cheese...

z0XsZ7X.jpg

cilantro, more chopped meats and onions...

CHSf2x7.jpg

served with hot tortillas, beans, rice, pico...

qbvyIBv.jpg

H7s9HHd.jpg

0es1thq.jpg

It was one of those serve yourself meals. Lots of cold beer and napkins. :grin:

Q3Ip3h4.jpg

Sorry for so many pics
Thanks for lookin'!

This reminds me of my last work trip to Mexico City a few years back, a bunch of us kept hitting this one restaurant. We'd always order at least two Molcajete's to share. Yours looks just as delicious as I remember them.

I've had Molcajete a few times in different states and here locally. It has always been awesome, but I've never had it displayed like that. Your pictures should grace a magazine cover or at least get and extensive, inside spread.

Always enjoy your cooking journey's and the step by step progress of those journey's. They provide a roadmap that almost anyone could follow to reproduce that meal. No need to apologize because it is appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

This reminds me of my last work trip to Mexico City a few years back, a bunch of us kept hitting this one restaurant. We'd always order at least two Molcajete's to share. Yours looks just as delicious as I remember them.

My multi quote button seems to be broken. lol

Thanks Andy! I bet the Molcajete meals you had were amazing!! Thanks for the kind comment! :grin:

I've had Molcajete a few times in different states and here locally. It has always been awesome, but I've never had it displayed like that. Your pictures should grace a magazine cover or at least get and extensive, inside spread.

Always enjoy your cooking journey's and the step by step progress of those journey's. They provide a roadmap that almost anyone could follow to reproduce that meal. No need to apologize because it is appreciated.

Thanks,

Robert

Thanks so much for the kind comment, Robert! I appreciate it!

My favorite breakfast restaurant makes these. They drape the meats over the edge of the molcajete and fill the bowl so high.. then parade the dish around a bit on the way to the customer's table. You can hear almost everyone in the cafe whispering "I want one of those!". :laugh: The more meat draping over the edge, the better! lol

Back