THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The controllers are not sealed - even high moisture in the air could potentially cause a short or a glitch. Unlikely but Could happen- more likely damp moist air caused the pellets to swell and jam and or smolder instead of Burn.

I had the tailgater. I was aware of p setting and am comfortable with temp swings just not flameouts. First cook was in the rain.

Pit boss models can be found on clearance. I have the classic (700 sq in and a searing station) and a vertical series 5 copperhead. Both were $199 each, copperheads were being stole at $109. A bargain even with an upgrade to a pid controller. My tailgater was floor model clearance for $175.

I would not consider pit boss at full retail.

Possibly the exhaust was causing your flame outs. I initially dealt with a few issues. Not enough smoke flavor, flame outs, and tunneling. All solved with a call to customer service.
Did you position the smoker so the wind was not blowing into the exhaust? I noticed if the wind was hitting the exhaust it would flame out. I positioned it so the exhaust did not catch the wind.
Maybe you just got a dud. The tailgater and the Junior Elite are practically identical. Sorry to hear it gave you so much trouble. I plan to buy the tailgater for the folding legs at some point.
Every issue I had was solved by talking to customer service.
Keep in mind the tailgater is much newer than the Junior Elite. Possibly quality has gone down. I have not owned a Traeger since I bought my 270. I had mine 3 years about and i got the 270 about 2 years ago maybe 3.

Traeger is trash, most have the same pause delay style controller that the pit boss uses.

I had a treager for a month and sold it. Multiple flameouts and wild temp swings.

The pit boss with an after market pid controller runs at rock solid stable temps.

Which pellet cookers do not com stock with a pause delay style controller?

maybe, the wifi was on sale for 99 (reg199) but I think it's out of stock currently. a simple email to their support would clear thing up if you were interested. personally wifi isn't a concern for me. I considered upgrading the controller but as I've learned the limits and how to use both my pit boss cookers the need seems less. I purchased each one for under $200 so I'd be looking at doubling my initial cost. if I want to cook overnight I either use my drum that runs rock solid or monitor temps with the smoke and set alarm parameters in case of flameout or fire.

I kinda didn't want to call or email them because i don't think they would have been too happy to sell their wifi pid controllers for non Rec tec customers. It could go one of two ways, either they embrace selling their controller as a universal upgrade , or they make their controllers proprietary and make it hard to use with non Rec tec pellet grills.

All this is moot since my Timberline 1300 is already paid for and most likely on its way. At least it was a in store local pickup so i saved on the shipping. I kinda hope its the new version since i have been told they were rolling them out in March.

I keep telling myself i should just hold onto the PB and use it for the direct flame feature for flame grilling. I just dont have the room for a 1300 and a PB820D.

Last edited:
All this is moot since my Timberline 1300 is already paid for and most likely on its way. At least it was a in store local pickup so i saved on the shipping. I kinda hope its the new version since i have been told they were rolling them out in March.[/QUOTE]

Congrats on the Timberline Candice, w you wont need to change the controller.

All this is moot since my Timberline 1300 is already paid for and most likely on its way. At least it was a in store local pickup so i saved on the shipping. I kinda hope its the new version since i have been told they were rolling them out in March.

Congrats on the Timberline Candice, w you wont need to change the controller.[/QUOTE]

I was referring to changing the controller on the PB if i decide to keep it. If not for the direct flame ferature i would probably have returned it already. But i was thinking if i am going to keep it, i might want to upgrade the controller to a pid with or without wifi. The smoke daddy pid is too expensive to not have wifi, but the Rec tec i can't find online, and i really didn't want to contact them trying to buy their Wifi controller when i don't have a Rec tec. If there was a way to just buy it without contacting them i would have already.

Congrats on the Timberline Candice, w you wont need to change the controller.

I was referring to changing the controller on the PB if i decide to keep it. If not for the direct flame ferature i would probably have returned it already. But i was thinking if i am going to keep it, i might want to upgrade the controller to a pid with or without wifi. The smoke daddy pid is too expensive to not have wifi, but the Rec tec i can't find online, and i really didn't want to contact them trying to buy their Wifi controller when i don't have a Rec tec. If there was a way to just buy it without contacting them i would have already.[/QUOTE]All they can say is no.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sorry for my confusion enjoy that Timberline Candice

If it cooks anything like the PB, just more stable temps, i will more then enjoy it.
Compared to charcoal smokers, its like night and day in terms of flavor. I never enjoyed a brisket as much as the one i just cooked on a pellet pooper. Ive made 3 different dishes 3 days in a row on this brisket.

True. Lets assume they say yes, do you have any examples of people converting their PB820D to a Rec tec Wifi Controller? Like a blog, or youtube video? I only found a youtube video of someone converting a Vertical PB.
I do not. Sorry

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

True. Lets assume they say yes, do you have any examples of people converting their PB820D to a Rec tec Wifi Controller? Like a blog, or youtube video? I only found a youtube video of someone converting a Vertical PB.

there are some examples on a FB group for pitboss I'm on. I just double checked some posts there. they all seem happy with the upgrade. some modding required. someone also stated they can be ordered if you call them but currently off the website.

there are some examples on a FB group for pitboss I'm on. I just double checked some posts there. they all seem happy with the upgrade. some modding required. someone also stated they can be ordered if you call them but currently off the website.

I will make my hubby do the modding. He is good at metal working and electronics. But i really have not found any examples, especially on the PB 820D.

Back