THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I havent had a bad experience with my PB, actually really good "end results" but i had to babysit the PB the entire cooks due to temp swings, and it almost going out a few times with the smoke setting and i shop vac it after every cook. It was fun, but i finally got a Treager 1300 on its way, and momma needs a grill cover so this "flakey" PB is going back. If there was a Wifi pid compatiable with the PB 820D i would have probably bought it and kept the PB, but nope.

I havent had a bad experience with my PB, actually really good "end results" but i had to babysit the PB the entire cooks due to temp swings, and it almost going out a few times with the smoke setting and i shop vac it after every cook. It was fun, but i finally got a Treager 1300 on its way, and momma needs a grill cover so this "flakey" PB is going back. If there was a Wifi pid compatiable with the PB 820D i would have probably bought it and kept the PB, but nope.

lots of people are swapping out the stock controller for the rec tec controller. its wi fi and pid. the Savannah stoker is also popular, not wi fi but is programmable and has an auto relight.

Wow little bit harsh guys. Chit happens. Like you folks never made a mistake. So chill out.

Unfortunately they probably won't cover you. So imo clean it up and paint it. High temp black. Then dump it on craigslist as long as it works.
Check into Traeger. I never had a single issue with mine and it got rained on some. Trick was to bag the pellet hopper and controller but leave the fan and intake uncovered. I cooked in down pours and had no problem. As far as dangerous to cook in rain because of electrical chord. Keep the plug off the ground and make sure you plug into a GFI outlet.
I think its a bit over blown. Heck people use Christmas lights in rain and snow. Don't be dumb about it. I suggest bagging the pellet hopper and elevate the chord so it doesn't sit in sitting water. Only use it with a GFI outlet.
A simple canopy setup will help alot too. Just tie it down.
I did this for 3 years and no problems ever.
I only got rid of mine so my wife would go along with a 270 Smoker. I plan to buy another one at some point lol. Love the 270 but the pellet grill worked better during the week. The 270 cooks better but takes awhile to warm up.

lots of people are swapping out the stock controller for the rec tec controller. its wi fi and pid. the Savannah stoker is also popular, not wi fi but is programmable and has an auto relight.

I seen a video someone replaced a PB controller with a wifi rec tec but it was a vertical PB, and i still havent been able to find a place to buy a Wifi rec tec controller. Their website doesnt specifiy that the controller they sell is Wifi.

Also, the Rec tec Wifi controller is in the horizontal position where the PB 820D controller is vertical.

I seen a video someone replaced a PB controller with a wifi rec tec but it was a vertical PB, and i still havent been able to find a place to buy a Wifi rec tec controller. Their website doesnt specifiy that the controller they sell is Wifi.

Also, the Rec tec Wifi controller is in the horizontal position where the PB 820D controller is vertical.

lots of videos making them work. you can leave the old controller and mount to a box, mount sideways or fab up a mounting plate. the Savannah stoker sells a mounting box, lots of work around if you really want to

edit: I googled rec tec controller and found this

https://www.rectecgrills.com/rec-tec-pid-controller/

a steal at $100

https://www.traegergrills.com/faqs

Scroll through and they answer about cooking in the rain.

While cooking in a light rain may be OK for a Traeger. It's not OK for the PB, they clearly state in their setup and warranty DO NOT use in the rain.
The use and warranty are not the same for the 2 brands. So stating the approved use for one brand does not mean it is the same for another brand. Clearly in this case it isn't the same.
Common sense on using anything electrical in wet conditions should be a top priority. A 10X10 Easyup used when cooking would help with many of the common problems. They are cheap when compared to replacing a pellet smoker. After all the years they say they have cooked with a pellet cooker it would seem they would have tried to protect it from the elements better. Even a cover for when the unit was not being used would help. While most smokers/grills are made to be used outdoors, a little protection/care will go a long way in making the product work better and last longer.

JMHO-YMMV

lots of videos making them work. you can leave the old controller and mount to a box, mount sideways or fab up a mounting plate. the Savannah stoker sells a mounting box, lots of work around if you really want to

edit: I googled rec tec controller and found this

https://www.rectecgrills.com/rec-tec-pid-controller/

a steal at $100

Thats the one i was talking about. No where does it say it is Wifi, and i believe the Wifi controller has probe ports so that is definitely not the Wifi version.

Thats the one i was talking about. No where does it say it is Wifi, and i believe the Wifi controller has probe ports so that is definitely not the Wifi version.

maybe, the wifi was on sale for 99 (reg199) but I think it's out of stock currently. a simple email to their support would clear thing up if you were interested. personally wifi isn't a concern for me. I considered upgrading the controller but as I've learned the limits and how to use both my pit boss cookers the need seems less. I purchased each one for under $200 so I'd be looking at doubling my initial cost. if I want to cook overnight I either use my drum that runs rock solid or monitor temps with the smoke and set alarm parameters in case of flameout or fire.

While cooking in a light rain may be OK for a Traeger. It's not OK for the PB, they clearly state in their setup and warranty DO NOT use in the rain.
The use and warranty are not the same for the 2 brands. So stating the approved use for one brand does not mean it is the same for another brand. Clearly in this case it isn't the same.
Common sense on using anything electrical in wet conditions should be a top priority. A 10X10 Easyup used when cooking would help with many of the common problems. They are cheap when compared to replacing a pellet smoker. After all the years they say they have cooked with a pellet cooker it would seem they would have tried to protect it from the elements better. Even a cover for when the unit was not being used would help. While most smokers/grills are made to be used outdoors, a little protection/care will go a long way in making the product work better and last longer.

JMHO-YMMV
I was telling them to ditch the pitboss. Sounds like a p.o.s. just my opinion. Check my previous reply. I did not advise them to cook with a pitboss. I said dump the pitboss.
I was posting why they should dump it. I never had a problem with my Traeger. Imo its better than a pitboss for the reason of you can't use it in the rain.

Over half my cooks with my GMG Daniel Boone pellet grill have been in the rain - I use a canopy. $50 at Walmart.

I was telling them to ditch the pitboss. Sounds like a p.o.s. just my opinion. Check my previous reply. I did not advise them to cook with a pitboss. I said dump the pitboss.
I was posting why they should dump it. I never had a problem with my Traeger. Imo its better than a pitboss for the reason of you can't use it in the rain.

Traeger is trash, most have the same pause delay style controller that the pit boss uses.

I had a treager for a month and sold it. Multiple flameouts and wild temp swings.

The pit boss with an after market pid controller runs at rock solid stable temps.

Last edited:
OSD - we usually have a gazebo set up on our deck/patio but had it down for winter. We keep our smokers covered. We usually do not use them out in the direct rain but just did that day. We have done this a few other times in a light rain with no issue. BUT normally we DO have them under cover.

We may either move up a notch in pellet smokers - which I am not sure what that might be as we need to keep the budget under 1000. Or maybe go back to a WSM or maybe try a Oklahoma Joe or Old Country Offset - not sure.

Have we ruled our user error instead of blaming the unit? Poor maintenance or something?

SmokyDick - No smoker was clean, we had just cleaned it. I guess it could have apparently had something to do with some moisture from rain, really not sure. The warranty fella I delt with at PB (whom they are replacing the barrel) said they have had this issue a few times, but didnt elaborate why. We have the PB 820D.

OSD - we usually have a gazebo set up on our deck/patio but had it down for winter. We keep our smokers covered. We usually do not use them out in the direct rain but just did that day. We have done this a few other times in a light rain with no issue. BUT normally we DO have them under cover.

We may either move up a notch in pellet smokers - which I am not sure what that might be as we need to keep the budget under 1000. Or maybe go back to a WSM or maybe try a Oklahoma Joe or Old Country Offset - not sure.
Lots of good pellet grills under $1000. Green Mountain Grills (love mine), and Grilla are pretty good, and Rec Tec has several models on sale.

Traeger is trash, most have the same pause delay style controller that the pit boss uses.

I had a treager for a month and sold it. Multiple flameouts and wild temp swings.

The pit boss with an after market pid controller runs at rock solid stable temps.
My experience was good. Never skipped a beat.
Did you call customer service?
Did you adjust the P-setting? You can adjust how often the pellets get dumped into the fire pot.
I had a Traeger Junior Elite.
Some folks have upgraded the traeger controllers to other ones. Seems to be a common thing to upgrade on cheaper ones. I never bothered. The temp swings aren't a big deal to me. You can learn to cook with them. Ovens even have temp swings.
I recommend Traeger based on them being in the same price range.
You can get better for more money but I figured it best to recommend it based on price range.
I think your problem was your P setting. Did you upgrade the controller on the Traeger?
They have learning curve but not bad imo.

Main reason I recommended it is that it can cook in light rain.

My experience was good. Never skipped a beat.
Did you call customer service?
Did you adjust the P-setting? You can adjust how often the pellets get dumped into the fire pot.
I had a Traeger Junior Elite.
Some folks have upgraded the traeger controllers to other ones. Seems to be a common thing to upgrade on cheaper ones. I never bothered. The temp swings aren't a big deal to me. You can learn to cook with them. Ovens even have temp swings.
I recommend Traeger based on them being in the same price range.
You can get better for more money but I figured it best to recommend it based on price range.
I think your problem was your P setting. Did you upgrade the controller on the Traeger?
They have learning curve but not bad imo.

Main reason I recommended it is that it can cook in light rain.

I had the tailgater. I was aware of p setting and am comfortable with temp swings just not flameouts. First cook was in the rain.

Pit boss models can be found on clearance. I have the classic (700 sq in and a searing station) and a vertical series 5 copperhead. Both were $199 each, copperheads were being stole at $109. A bargain even with an upgrade to a pid controller. My tailgater was floor model clearance for $175.

I would not consider pit boss at full retail.

........ The warranty fella I delt with at PB (whom they are replacing the barrel) said they have had this issue a few times, but didnt elaborate why. We have the PB 820D.

aimcat, that's definitely good news. I'd say keep it out of the rain for sure. Obviously a little different experience than I've had with Yoder, but different price points.......If you end up deciding to switch and want to stay with pellets, maybe try a Green Mountain Grill, or I'm a strong advocate for a used Yoder. I just saw one advertised yesterday on Facebook in Georgia I think for $950 on the standard cart. Mine functions like an offset without having to throw logs every 45 minutes. I love it.

Ed

Back