THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Got the firebox door intake fabricated. It is sitting on some 20 inch diameter pipe; I used the pipe as a jig to clamp to so it would not distort while welding (I didn't bother to clean up the welds, you can if you want, or not).

Overall dimensions are 14" wide X 5" high with a 2"high X 6" opening (12 sq in) for the intake. In this first photo, the "door" is positioned full right. The 2"X6" opening on the left where you see the pipe will be the cutout into the tank/door.

84C8FF38-A2FD-4FEF-9554-D6E1429C4B2C_zpsmhrobl3f.jpg

Sliding the door closed, you will want to add a tab or handle (we can chat when I drop it off about options).

178976E9-7C15-47D8-8473-0E4B1C0FEE06_zpstt6otsgr.jpg

And door full left, opening closed off

8EF70885-E3FF-451B-86E4-286616794E8C_zpsnpjy4ten.jpg

It really works pretty neat. I enjoyed building the prototype and will use this design if anybody ever wants a vertical built out of the pipe I use. As we discussed, I wanted to do this as a prototype to see how it works; it is a N/C donation for your project.

Wow! Dave that is fantastic!!!!! I'm literally sitting here reading this while on the side of my house letting some metal cool down so I can keep welding.

The welds look fine to me. Certainly better than the crab beads I'm laying down. Thanks again for making that! I look forward to sending updates on performance.

Got some more real work done today! Finished getting the base welded on, it is now free standing very nicely and is surprisingly stable. I thought it would be a little more tippy than it is.

While I was out there I grabbed the grinder and knocked down the stumps from the compressor plate and the nubs left over from the air-lines going into the tank. Now I need to make some 1 1/8" plugs to fill the gaping holes left in the tank...I'll probably just cut them from the compressor plate.

Anyways...pictures below. Enjoy!

Attachments

Last edited:
While the tank may seem stabile now, I would be a bit concerned about the CG getting to high when it is fully loaded. Fire and burn hazards aside, it would be criminal to have that thing tip over with a full load of meat! Might want to consider rolling a length of pipe to a diameter 8" larger than that of the tank. Weld that to the bottom of your rim with 3 or 4 spokes. That should provide a measure of safety without compromising the clean lines of your vertical.

I'm inclined to agree with you and was thinking about that just yesterday. Thought about getting another harrow disc in the 26" range and welding that to the bottom for stability with some "spokes" as you suggested.

What say you Smitty? Dave? Ever had any stability issues with BSL...pre-trailer that is?

Disc blade would certainly work. A piece of flat plate might be even better (and easier) as you could then mount leveling pads on the corners for increased stability on uneven surfaces.

Rejoice for today He is risen!!!!

Being Easter I didn't get a ton done, just spent the day in church and with family. While I was making dinner I did get the doors taped out. I want to measure a couple more times to be certain of location and then start making partial cuts based on Smitty's suggestion.

Attachments

Well it took 5 jig saw blades and 3 sawzall blades but the cook chamber door is mostly cut (albeit poorly). There will be some grinding to reduce the lethality of the edge on the door and I'll just seal up the gap with some stove rope on the door.

Also Dave, I did a dry fit check to see how that sliding intake was going to work...that think is going to be sweet! It fits darn near perfectly. I'll try to get you a picture of the fit once I formally decide where to put it. Also stuck the piece of pipe on top just make myself feel good...that's going to be one heck of a draft!

Attachments

Heck of an afternoon! Took the day off to take my wife to the doctor and when she went down for a nap I got to work. Got the cook chamber door cut FINALLY!!! Still need to cut the firebox door which I'm looking forward to a little bit less than a root canal.

Also got the top cut and the stack half welded on. I'm gonna let the welder cool down and weld a little more tonight. I also got the door seals on top and bottom tack welded.

The inside of this tank is GROSS! 60 years worth of rust water and oil cake the walls of this thing! Not 100% sure how I'm going to get all of that cleaned out without getting very VERY dirty!

Oh and on the plus side...only started one fire! So that's a win!!!

Attachments

Most of it is pretty lose so I think a power washer would get the big stuff and a rust remover to knock out the rest. I'll get it as close as I can to bare and then look at seasoning.

Just got an email saying that the disc blade I ordered was delivered!!!...a week ago...to our old address...gonna swing by there after work today and see if by some chance it's still there...

Lucky me they still had it...even nicer was the fact that they were kind enough to open it for me! I got it home and it's just a scoche too big. The actual diameter is 20 1/4" the inside diameter of the tank as Dave is so keenly aware is 19 5/8". I'm going to have to cut/grind about 5/16" from the circumference but after that it should be fine. Should make one hellava nice diffuser plate!

Got the disc trimmed up and placed for fit only. Took about an hour of trimming but it definitely fits now! The cutouts allow for 25 sq. in of air flow for the heat/smoke transfer. I can always make it bigger if I need to. I'll cut the firebox tomorrow morning...or later tonight if I'm feeling ambitious.

Attachments

Got the firebox door cut! Love how this is coming together!!!!! Need to do a little grinding on the FB door as it shifted a little on the hinges and the fit is slightly off.

Attachments

Started cleaning out the tank with a wire wheel. It's been really effective on the rust and paint but I am running into problems with all of the oil built up in the bottom. Most of the oil has been soaked up by sediment and rust that was built up in the bottom. I've gotten the sediment out but I can't seem to get a handle on the oil.

Any ideas on breaking it up and getting it out? I've tried everything from dawn to carb cleaner with no victories...tonight I'm gonna do a massive clean out burn and see if I can burn the oil out.

Did all of this with my buddy by my side...Bella says hello to her fellow brethren!

Attachments

Back