THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I did what I could...I tried to go pick up a steel wheel rim (for the peristalsis base), but the guy selling it wasn't home today. It's a wide rim too 10x15 and chrome to boot, but only on the side that won't show :sad:

I really want to cut the doors so I can start rust busting the inside of the tank and do a clean-out burn, but I'm afraid of the doors coming too out of round without bracing and being hard to get back when I get the bracing from dwfiisk at the bash.

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking. Nice job on the bracing by the way!

Wanted to ask, what will be the best way to cut holes? I don't have a torch or a plasma cutter and no pennies with which to buy or rent one.

That's what I was thinking. Nice job on the bracing by the way!

Wanted to ask, what will be the best way to cut holes? I don't have a torch or a plasma cutter and no pennies with which to buy or rent one.

carbide blade on a circular saw or a cutoff wheel on a grinder. got to go slow and do sections at a time for less chance of warping or springing the doors. have your hinges welded on and let the smoker Cool down before finishing the cut. are you gonna brace on outside or inside.
if inside then you gotta cut it first anyways.....

http://web.archive.org/web/20060509095916/http://www.exit201.com/cyclops/page2.shtml

I'm going to brace inside, outside will have a lip with a gasket. How would you cut small round holes i.e.: 3-4" for the stack and intake? For the doors I will most likely use the circular saw.

Great link! That's really good information to know and will help when planning my cuts.

Last edited:
First project related purchase today! For $30 I bought this lovely chrome wheel off a guy to use as the pedestal base and threw it up to see what I was working with. The wheel is 10"x15" steel, so it's 4" wider than a standard sedan wheel. It fits like it was always meant to be there!!!

I'm crazy excited to really get started on this project...This thing is gonna be cool!

Attachments

Last edited:
I'm gonna borrow my buddy's welder this weekend, practice on the compressor plate I cut off for a couple days, and weld it on hopefully by Sunday night. First I need to figure out how to make sure its centered...thinking about a jig I can put into the center of the wheel with a hole drilled out for the pipe coming out of the bottom of the tank.

I've also been giving some thought to keeping the pipe in the bottom and extending it as a drain pipe just like Smitty's BSL.

Last edited:
Finally got to do some work on the smoker project! Couldn't get anything done last weekend cause...you know...NASCAR was in town lol.

I got a little welding refresher practice done on Monday and after about 15 minutes I remembered how to do it (it's been about 10 years). Today I grabbed the wheel and propped it up on a couple of bricks as cinched itt down with a tie-down strap. It worked like a charm and I got the wheel tacked in place as you can see in the last picture which I am so lovingly titling "look Ma' no hands!"

Tomorrow I will stitch weld the rest of the wheel in place and stand it up. Maybe I'll even cut the feet off and try to find where I want to cut the doors.

Attachments

Last edited:
Last of the 1/2" X 1/2" square rods for your door frames & cooking grates in the roller, the others are stacked on the table along with the 1/8"X1" flat bar for your door seals. Also rolled out the stuff to make that curved firebox air inlet; should get it put together this weekend. I'm thinking this will work pretty well and I'm kinda excited to try out the prototype.

1878233E-D339-44E6-99F2-B5ABAECDA320_zpsb4roo2kp.jpg

See y'all at the bash.

Got outside again tonight after a long day of running errands. Got the top half of the wheel permanently welded on. Had a little trouble maintaining an arc at times so some of the welds look like trash but they should hold (it's not like I'm taking it rock crawling).

Tomorrow I will weld up the other half of the wheel and maybe cut the feet off (although I'm not totally sure if I want to cut them off yet they make a really stable working platform when it's laying flat...could come in handy when cutting and welding doors).

Attachments

Dave, want to make a detour to Colorado and hook me up too?!? What a great brethren gift!!! Can't wait to see pics from the bash :-D

Back