THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Kevin James

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
KJ, Renegade Pit BBQ
When I first joined this forum last November, I posted an introduction in the Cattle call area. Member Guero Gordo noticed my location and mentioned that if I was ever looking to upgrade from my Pit Boss pellet grill and my WSM that KAT smokers was just down the road from me in Modesto. I had already been thinking about getting a nice offset someday, but I wasn't aware of KAT, and thought that shipping a pit from Texas or somewhere on the other side of the country would be too expensive.

I did a lot of research on KAT's smokers and fell in love with their reverse flow designs. I have an issue with an extremely narrow entrance into my back yard and I was going back and forth on the 20x48 or the 24x48 I really wanted. After several conversations with Ken from KAT and sending him pictures and measurements of the area, he was confident he could get the 24x48 into my yard. So... I pulled the trigger on the 24x48. it was a long wait, but it was delivered, last Friday 7/24. I would have posted a thread sooner, but I've been busy trying to learn the new pit, which I thought was a good use of time :becky:

Here she is in all of her glory!

Attachments

Wow, you have got some serious capacity there! Nice rig, and congratulations!

Thanks! I am absolutely loving it so far. Still trying to learn it, and realized that my splits were too big in diameter, causing smoldering problems, but luckily I already own a log splitter. So I re-split some of them last night to smaller sizes and I'm anxious to try it again. The way I look at at it, practice makes perfect and learning is part of the fun :thumb:

I gotta say it’s the King of the cooker line up !
Looks sweet,,,,
Time to make some smoke

Please let me know how well you end up liking this cooker. I'm in the area of modesto too and haven't seen a lot of people who own these. It would be a really to have the ability to just go drive 30mins and pick it up instead of ordering a shirley from the east coast lol.

I have an issue with an extremely narrow entrance into my back yard and I was going back and forth on the 20x48 or the 24x48 I really wanted.
Here she is in all of her glory!

Nice cooker but you were worried over nothing. 15 minutes with a sledgehammer and your narrow entrance worries would be over.

Back