New Smoker: KAT 24x48 Reverse Flow

Kevin James

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
KJ, Renegade Pit BBQ
When I first joined this forum last November, I posted an introduction in the Cattle call area. Member Guero Gordo noticed my location and mentioned that if I was ever looking to upgrade from my Pit Boss pellet grill and my WSM that KAT smokers was just down the road from me in Modesto. I had already been thinking about getting a nice offset someday, but I wasn't aware of KAT, and thought that shipping a pit from Texas or somewhere on the other side of the country would be too expensive.

I did a lot of research on KAT's smokers and fell in love with their reverse flow designs. I have an issue with an extremely narrow entrance into my back yard and I was going back and forth on the 20x48 or the 24x48 I really wanted. After several conversations with Ken from KAT and sending him pictures and measurements of the area, he was confident he could get the 24x48 into my yard. So... I pulled the trigger on the 24x48. it was a long wait, but it was delivered, last Friday 7/24. I would have posted a thread sooner, but I've been busy trying to learn the new pit, which I thought was a good use of time :becky:

Here she is in all of her glory!

Attachments

• 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 205
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    68.8 KB · Views: 206
  • 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 205
  • 9.jpg
    9.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 206
  • 10.jpg
    10.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 205
  • 11.jpg
    11.jpg
    69.7 KB · Views: 203
That’s a good lookin’ cooker!

Now, Fire that mother UP!!!

Oh believe me I have. I'm already 4 cooks in! I did a brisket 1st, then a pork butt then two separate rib cooks. Currently trying to decide what's next lol

Wow, you have got some serious capacity there! Nice rig, and congratulations!

Thanks! I am absolutely loving it so far. Still trying to learn it, and realized that my splits were too big in diameter, causing smoldering problems, but luckily I already own a log splitter. So I re-split some of them last night to smaller sizes and I'm anxious to try it again. The way I look at at it, practice makes perfect and learning is part of the fun :thumb:

I gotta say it’s the King of the cooker line up !
Looks sweet,,,,
Time to make some smoke

Please let me know how well you end up liking this cooker. I'm in the area of modesto too and haven't seen a lot of people who own these. It would be a really to have the ability to just go drive 30mins and pick it up instead of ordering a shirley from the east coast lol.

I have an issue with an extremely narrow entrance into my back yard and I was going back and forth on the 20x48 or the 24x48 I really wanted.
Here she is in all of her glory!

Nice cooker but you were worried over nothing. 15 minutes with a sledgehammer and your narrow entrance worries would be over.

Back