New Propane Tank Smoker Build (?)

Crater21

MemberGot rid of the matchlight.
Name or Nickame
Crater21
I went and visited a guy that has posted that he builds smokers out of propane tanks. He had a 250, a 500, and 2 1000s sitting in his yard. From my untrained eye they looked nice.

I did notice that he didn't plug the holes from cutting the top parts off, but used them as grease drain holes in the bottom of the smoker. That seems like that would result in a lot of air being drawn in from there instead of the firebox, likely affecting temps or evenness of temps. Am I thinking wrongly? Would it be better to install a drain port (in one or elsewhere) with a ball valve?
Is skinnier and taller (6" vs 8" stack) better on a 250 gallon smoker?

Are there any features that I should think about before committing?

I was thinking a 250 gallon mounted on a trailer (maybe be able to rent it out when I'm not using it and take it to see family.) I'm guessing that it's about 5-6 times bigger than what I have now for a single rack (~16x30 pre-charbroil Oklahoma Joe's) I would like to cook twice as much as I am now regularly, but maybe more from time to time. He has a 150 gallon propane tank on hand.

How nice would pull out racks be?
Is a warmer box worth it? Or, could I let meat rest in the warmer box instead of an ice chest? (Do they normally get too hot or do they lose heat too quickly after you stop burning wood?)

Thanks for all the help/thoughts.

Back