Contest Announcment New London, CT 2013

caved in and signed up today

Well, you DID GC it last year. :becky:

Personally, I think it will be fun to take on Myron.

I think it's an interesting venue. Maybe a little weird, but interesting. You can get more space if you ask the organizer - especially if it's wider vs. deeper.

By the way, the big money Smoke on the Water production in Atlantic City is the same setup....shallow but wide sites along the AC boardwalk. They are 20' deep there, but if you want more space you have to go wide.

yes they are all along the edges of the pier. lousy contest,real lousy money but in a state where you get a 50/50 Jack draw

Since it's on a concrete pier, you can't get fined for burning the grass, which is my new entry criterion for low money events. :becky: The prize pool is also more than 50% larger than that "other" contest in another 50/50 state.

caved in and signed up today
More importantly, how do you feel about $200 first place category? :shocked:

:becky:

you get a 50/50 Jack draw

Is that the draw of this contest? Does Myron competing there actually make a difference in anyone's decision to compete there or not? I'm not asking to start chit, I'm really just curious.

What is it with CT contests that they always seem to be last minute, pay little and shrouded in secrecy? Is there something in the water that prevents them from planning, promoting and paying out like the majority of other contests that happen during the year?

Is that the draw of this contest? Does Myron competing there actually make a difference in anyone's decision to compete there or not? I'm not asking to start chit, I'm really just curious.

What is it with CT contests that they always seem to be last minute, pay little and shrouded in secrecy? Is there something in the water that prevents them from planning, promoting and paying out like the majority of other contests that happen during the year?

For me the draw is the 50/50 shot for Jack 2014
Also, with SAMs club out for me and a trip to TN coming up I want to stay in "BBQ shape" too many weeks off is not good for me...the presence or absence of Myron is of no importance
You and I did quite well in DC vs Myron, Tuffy and Johnny Trigg:becky:

the jack draw is the only thing good.

Myron? Yawn. I hear paul kirk is also competing there as well :tongue:

Stamford had good payouts. He was in the 90 days for stamford but bobs other contests have always been announced a year in advance.

As far as other contest paying out? We got $500 for rgc in rhode island . That was pathetic. They take in close to $14k in entry money there.

As far as other contest paying out? We got $500 for rgc in rhode island . That was pathetic. They take in close to $14k in entry money there.

Yeah they are another low payout, but they are or were the last 2 years an auto to The Jack so I can see what the draw there is, Cannonlady. :becky:

For me: it's an hour from my house, I won my first GC there and got to the Jack with it, and Myron is one of many people I have taken a class from - so yes, I do want to see if I can beat him.

New London did announce very early this year, so the organizer is learning. She is used to dealing with vendors and doesn't really get why teams want to know all these things vendors don't care about, but she is genuine and it's a real contest with a proclamation.

Not that I'm ruling out the water theory. :becky:

So I'm trying to tread lightly and not turn this into a lets bash this contest thread so lets keep that in mind. In fact if I were not going to be in KC on the 29th I would seriously consider signing up for this.

I get what makes its a draw for you Chris, Sled still thinks he's the King of CT ( a title he held for a long time!) what surprises me is Tim going back after just last year being victim of the "CT Auto", an outspoken opponent of low payouts who prefers a Kiss Cruze and AC over the Jack and Royal.

I appreciate the fact that the contest was scheduled early but now under 60 days out and there is no readily available information about payouts, attendance, a website or FB page about it anywhere I can find. There is however an email blast announcing that Myron is cooking there.

So looking at the information available, what would bring a team out to a pier during hurricane season for a contest that is known for low payouts, not having a website/advertising/social media presence and provides no information other than to promote Myron cooking and partnering with a local business.

It's not just this contest, I had a very similar experience with the Staten Island contest and the filming of Pitmasters and CT has just always seemed to have struggled to put together a good solid contest with some longevity that teams have locked into there schedule. I don't think low payouts, restricted information or scheduling and announcing the contest 90 days on the same day of a long standing contest is going to help change that.

Are we all just that hungry for a contest or is this just me bitchin-n-moaning? I would love to have good solid contest in CT and want to support efforts to establish but I haven't had reason to do that for at least the 3-4 years.

So I'm trying to tread lightly and not turn this into a lets bash this contest thread so lets keep that in mind. In fact if I were not going to be in KC on the 29th I would seriously consider signing up for this.

I get what makes its a draw for you Chris, Sled still thinks he's the King of CT ( a title he held for a long time!) what surprises me is Tim going back after just last year being victim of the "CT Auto", an outspoken opponent of low payouts who prefers a Kiss Cruze and AC over the Jack and Royal.

I appreciate the fact that the contest was scheduled early but now under 60 days out and there is no readily available information about payouts, attendance, a website or FB page about it anywhere I can find. There is however an email blast announcing that Myron is cooking there.

So looking at the information available, what would bring a team out to a pier during hurricane season for a contest that is known for low payouts, not having a website/advertising/social media presence and provides no information other than to promote Myron cooking and partnering with a local business.

It's not just this contest, I had a very similar experience with the Staten Island contest and the filming of Pitmasters and CT has just always seemed to have struggled to put together a good solid contest with some longevity that teams have locked into there schedule. I don't think low payouts, restricted information or scheduling and announcing the contest 90 days on the same day of a long standing contest is going to help change that.

Are we all just that hungry for a contest or is this just me bitchin-n-moaning? I would love to have good solid contest in CT and want to support efforts to establish but I haven't had reason to do that for at least the 3-4 years.

true true and true
but what else am i going to do? stay home and work on the honey do list? :crazy:
NO WAY...

There are efforts in CT to establish a well run BBQ Contest....FYI,

Yours in BBQ,

Cliff

Back