New Kingsford

Wildcat said:
I found out some bad news.

I had to stop by the local Sam's today and they had two full pallets of the new Kingford. I was there just yeaterday and they had an almost full pallet of the old Kingford. I asked where it was and was told THEY SEND IT BACK and put out the new stuff!!!!

Had I known that I would have brought the whole pallet. Now unless I can find the old stuff at a good price I'm going to have to start ordering a pallet at a time.

I was kinda wondering in the back of my mind if that's what WallyWorld and Sams Place were doing. In my area, the New Stuff appeared literally overnight and the old stuff was nowhere to be found. Also, they had an entire pallet of Royal Oak lump there and suddenly, it was gone and there were two pallets of Kingsford Lump sitting there.

Conspiracy?????

JTMcD.

I am going to have to go to HD and see if the same is there. Looks to me like they are indeed pulling the old stuff.:mad:

Some of you older farkers may remember what Coca-Cola did in 1985. They replaced their original Coke with a new product and created an uproar that almost ruined the company. (Some still say it was a marketing ploy). Maybe the new charcoal should be named Cokesford. Anyway, now that I've tried it a few times, Im convinced that it is not as good as the original and will be using more of Sams from Walmart.

Armadillo Dundee said:
Some of you older farkers may remember what Coca-Cola did in 1985. They replaced their original Coke with a new product and created an uproar that almost ruined the company. (Some still say it was a marketing ploy). Maybe the new charcoal should be named Cokesford. Anyway, now that I've tried it a few times, Im convinced that it is not as good as the original and will be using more of Sams from Walmart.

Haven't used Sam's for a couple of years. Last time I used it I cooked a whole hog on a borrowed rotisery pit for a wedding. I told him to bring me K, but he brought sam's. That stuff took forever to light and didn't burn all the way. Left chunks of unburned chit. Like I said, that was 2 years ago. Maybe it's time to try it again.

bbqjoe said:
Haven't heard about this one, please elaborate.

BBQJoe, I think you only caught page 3.

Go back to page 1 of this thread, and in full detail you'll see Kingsford started a new variety of briquettes.

So its there, just need to page back

got it.

Why can't people leave well enough alone.
I'm going to invent a briquette with a computer chip in it.

I sent Kingsford an email with questions about this new product with the grooves. If it does not burn as long the price should not the be same as last years right? I see on the sight that the old version will no longer be available.

Went to Sam's yesterday and there were only 2 double bag packs of Kingsford left so I grabbed them then checked up front and sure enough the item has been cancelled at Sam's, no longer available! When I got out to the car I called the 800 customer service that was on the bag and the guy told me that their research and development department came up with a new improved briquette and hoped I would give it a try. He claimed it was the same briquette with better air flow for improved burning. He also said that this was the way they were now being manufactured and the old original Kingsford was no longer being made. I let him know that there were many people who use their product for lowand slow bbq cooking that were going to be very unhappy they farked up a great product.

What a bummer. As has been said, "why can't people leave a good thing alone"

If it ain't broke don't fix it!

I sent them an e-mail as well.

Hopfully we can provoke a Coca-cola type response and get the original back.

Here's a link to the contact page at Kingsford.

http://kingsford.consumerreply.com/Clorox/kingsford/faqs.nsf/WebContactUs?OpenForm

I told them in my e-mail that I'm sure the folks at DuraFlame appreciate the new business they'll be getting due to the change.

Do any of you frequenters of other forums know of any similar e-mail campaigns? If you're active else where could you get one going if there isn't one started? Just a thought.

Last edited by a moderator:
kcquer said:
I told them in my e-mail that I'm sure the folks at DuraFlame appreciate the new business they'll be getting due to the change.
LMAO I'm sure if we all told them that perhaps they'd rethink it a little. Then again, probably not. Some pencil-neck bean counter figured out they'll make more money by selling stuff that burns faster. Now he'll go home, boil his ribs, drop them in a pot of sauce and eat his "barbeque".:evil:

bbqjoe said:
Why can't people leave well enough alone.
I'm going to invent a briquette with a computer chip in it.

if ya do, contact the people from 24... Jack could probably use one of those from time to time:shock:

Yep, remember the new coke recipe (flop) and here is something more cynical. They make the new for faster hotter boiling ribs before Q'ing rookies. Wait a year and introduce the new "For that slow, low Q'er in your home" briquette (same as yesterday,, but now with new label and more money"...I can smell it!!!:evil:

Here's what I got...
January 27, 2006 Mr. Robert Fernandez
Brooklyn, NY

Reference Number: 4349
Dear Mr. Fernandez,
Thank you for contacting us about Kingsford Regular Charcoal Sure Fire Grooves. We always appreciate hearing from our consumers.

We sincerely regret any inconvenience this problem may have caused you.

Unfortunately, the Kingsford Original is being replaced by the new Kingsford Sure Fire. I am an avid charcoal user also and have been using the new Sure Fire for about a month and have not noticed a difference. I also do a lot of long slow cooking and still get temperature and burn time I have come to expect. The basic difference is in the shape and the weight of the briquets. I have forwarded your comments on to our marketing department.

Again, thank you for contacting us.

Sincerely,
Patti Copper Consumer Response Representative Consumer Services

I guess it's time to do our own tests and see the results for ourselves. On the bright side, the new Kingsford can't possibly produce more ash than the old stuff.........or could it?

jt said:
Now he'll go home, boil his ribs, drop them in a pot of sauce and eat his "barbeque".:evil:

Ooh, that sounds good. Hope he saves me some. :twisted:

(note: sarcasm at work)

Kingsford should send a 20# sample bag to all active Brethren for our testimonials.

Went to another Sam's today and got their last three 2-24# packs of Kingsford Original. That gives me a total inventory of about 300#'s. Only the weather on weekends will determine how long it is going to last me.

I just sent an email to The Naked Whiz and asked him to review the new stuff.

Reply from Kingsford...
We sincerely regret any inconvenience this problem may have caused you, and we are happy to mail you a coupon for your next purchase. You should receive it in 7-10 business days. The only difference in the new formula is the shape and it is does ash over more quickly but it does maintain the temperature and still burns as long. I have been using the new formula for over a month and I am an avid charcoal user. I have not had any problems with my burning time or temperature. I hope you will try the product again. We certainly hope you will continue to use and have confidence in our products.

Back