Roll Call. Inside 30 days. Nevada Kiwanis BBQ, Nevada, IA, 8/28-8/29, 2009

I know it's early, but I'll be bringing a case of parsley. (Calling ahead this time to see if I can get one reserved.) Who wants in? Previous buyers get first chance - Woodfellas, Buster Dog, Tippy Canoe.

One case - I can split with 3 more teams might have enough for another so if you're low Saturday morning and need some for boxes - find one of us.

I know it's early, but I'll be bringing a case of parsley. (Calling ahead this time to see if I can get one reserved.) Who wants in? Previous buyers get first chance - Woodfellas, Buster Dog, Tippy Canoe.

One case - I can split with 3 more teams might have enough for another so if you're low Saturday morning and need some for boxes - find one of us.

I'll take some.

Good news! I just heard back from Kenna Jo Lambertsen and she said they were at 32-33 teams! This is up from 27 they had last year! Should be a great time! :)

Based on the email that was sent out by Kenna Jo last night, it looks like all the regulars. What happened to some of them going to Emmittsburg?

When I talked to Kenna Jo Tuesday she said that they were up to 36 teams. Can wait to see you all there.

Big Mike

I think I remember that you were on the list, it was a bunch of blah blah blah - nothing important. PM me your email address and I'll forward it.

Just got an email from Kenna (see portion below). We are getting precooked beef ribs and are supposed to reheat for the public sampling?? Never had that happen at a contest yet. Is it normal to get precooked meats for the public? Not sure I am into that.....

"The meat that will be provided for public tasting will be beef ribs (which have been cooked and will only need to be reheated), pork ribs and possibly pork loin."

Yeah, I'm not hip on it either but I guess I do understand it gets the public involved with the teams. We did something very similar to it at the Qlossal (although we cooked it) and it wasn't that much of a pain. I assume it will go pretty fast - I just hope it doesn't get in the way of actual work like prepping.

I found it more disappointing that meat check ins don't start til 2:00.

Yeah saw the 2:00 thang. Not good. I don't have a problem with the samples, just sampling something that I didn't cook I guess.

Last year they have us a package of ribs as well but it was for us to eat.

So who's sticking around Sat night? What's the scoop?

Just got an email from Kenna (see portion below). We are getting precooked beef ribs and are supposed to reheat for the public sampling?? Never had that happen at a contest yet. Is it normal to get precooked meats for the public? Not sure I am into that.....

"The meat that will be provided for public tasting will be beef ribs (which have been cooked and will only need to be reheated), pork ribs and possibly pork loin."

This is provide by W&G Marketing, one of the contest sponsors. They did this last year and I thought those beef ribs were fantastic. I don't mind warming them up and saying go to W&G Marketing to buy them.

This is provide by W&G Marketing, one of the contest sponsors. They did this last year and I thought those beef ribs were fantastic. I don't mind warming them up and saying go to W&G Marketing to buy them.

Yeah we just warmed them up and cut em into bite sized pieces and threw some sauce on them. It is a little weird, but we didn't mind.

I talked to FC today. 40 teams is what they are expecting and can accommodate more. Said their is no issue for staying around Sat night. This is really shaping up to be a big contest for a couple reasons.

1. The IBS TOY points are tight. The brisket category is less than a 1 point difference from places 1-4.

2. Smokey D's needs one more win for an automatic Jack birth and this is his last contest to get it before the cutoff date.

Back