Needing some help deciding

Sticks-n-chicks

Full Fledged Farker
I am new to smokin but the bug has bitten pretty hard and I am now looking to go from 2 bullet smokers to a trailer smoker. Here is my dilema. Tight on cash (aren't we all) I have been looking at the following smokers

1. http://www.easttexassmokercompany.com/rk250.htm The RK250 with warming box (do I need it)

2. http://www.diamondplatepits.com/ Series 60

Both have good references and seem like real good guys and our close in price.

- What are you thoughts on box smokers vs. tank smokers?

- What should I be looking for?

- What should I watch out for?

I would welcome any comments and suggestions.

Thanks.

Will

Last edited:
Do you have any thoughts on competing? If you do I have a few ideas to throw at you.

I do not know about either one of those but I like my stick burner- Meadow Creek TS120 with the chicken cooker. Good luck. I do understand tight on cash

Everyone at The Smoke Ring raves about DPP cookers. And Travis the owner is a really nice guy.

I have a Lang mobile 60 with warming box for sale $2500, 1 year old and in excellent condition. Heres the only pic i could find on my computer. I'm just across town if you would like to come take a look at it.
picture.php

I have a Lang mobile 60 with warming box for sale $2500, 1 year old and in excellent condition. Heres the only pic i could find on my computer. I'm just across town if you would like to come take a look at

Thats a great looking smoker! Why are you selling it?

Thats a great looking smoker! Why are you selling it?
We have been using our Drum smokers more and more at compititions and I could use the money to upgrade the trailer we work out of. I know I will regret selling it after its gone but I just can't justify keeping it.

I know a team out here in UT that is using the RK250. He seems to like it and it looks turns out some good Q.

I have a Lang mobile 60 with warming box for sale $2500, 1 year old and in excellent condition. Heres the only pic i could find on my computer. I'm just across town if you would like to come take a look at it.
picture.php
I've got a Lang 60 Patio version (same cooker without the trailer & warming box)... Give them a look at: http://www.pigroast.com/index.html

I've had her since February and have determined that she is the best cooker that I've ever cooked on! The only reason I went with the patio rather than the trailer is that I like having her along side the house when I'm cooking for me & my catering... I have a 6x10 trailer that she fit's into with space to spare for traveling to comps.

Ride over to PigPen's and take a look at her... Even call Ben (@ Lang Mfg) if you want.

Thats the best advice in the entire thread!
I would normally agree, but you can trust us Lang guys (man, I'm going to get slamed for that statement... lol)

Actually, that's how I found the Lang... I went to a couple of comps and actually got to pit bi#$% for Walt and Tonto... Knew by the end of the comp that the Lang was for me!

So trust me... you want the Lang!

You could build a stable of drum smokers for a couple hundred bucks if you are seriously tight on dough... they'll crank out competition grade `Q and many teams have won GC's using them.

We use three drums: An 85gal one for Brisket & Pork... and two 55gals (one for ribs, one for chicken). Different wood in each one.

The best advice was to go to a cookoff and chat with each pitmaster and see what they like about their cookers. Especially the ones that have won alot!

I would normally agree, but you can trust us Lang guys (man, I'm going to get slamed for that statement... lol)

Actually, that's how I found the Lang... I went to a couple of comps and actually got to pit bi#$% for Walt and Tonto... Knew by the end of the comp that the Lang was for me!

So trust me... you want the Lang!
Thats how i found my Lang too. I went to a comp with a couple buddies to see a friend that was competing and low and behold he had a Lang. It was love at first site. Two weeks later mine was on order.

Back