Help Me with Pit Selection

MustGoFast

Knows what a fatty is.
So I decided I want to replace and upgrade my smoker. I'm pretty set on a reverse flow cabinet style unit and am trying to come to terms with the price I need to pay, from there it's all about the best choice. (Background I've been smoking meat on occasion for 15+yrs mostly on WSMs)

I "narrowed" it down to:
  • Humphreys - The name that got my search started
  • Cascade - My current perceived favorite.
I've eliminated: Backwoods & now my very local option (Fat Daddy as they aren't reverse flow)
I might consider T&K since they are psudeo local but I haven't heard back and have no idea what they charge. Moving Ironside here(local but price and response). LSG all in is in the same price point, but doesn't feel like my pit (I don't know why).

Any of these will probably be overkill for my needs pricing is "similar" but an important factor as these are approaching wife kills me numbers. So what do you recommend & why.

Last edited:
I may have to "consider" ironside as well - after shipping and stuff their price isn't THAT much higher - although I've heard they may not still be making units.

My two cents, go local whenever possible. I would go Ironsides, but I bet you will happy with any of them. They are all top notch.

I cooked comps on a pitmaker vault. They are def at high end and never had issue with mine. They pop up used time to time for around $2k

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Where are you at? We have a Humphreys Q'bed Pint that will be available soon.

Sent from my SM-G990U using Tapatalk

I've had a battle box and a weekender. Still have a cubed Beast (all humphrey's). Loved them all. I'm on a drum kick now, and really love the simplicity of them.

Check out Meadowcreek Their cabinet is built like a tank TC Smoke & Que has their big one

Checked them out, they look nice but I usually smoke w/ out water so their innovation there isn't worth that much to me, their price is a bit higher than the options above and still needs shipping so I dropped em (although I noted not listed above).

My two cents, go local whenever possible. I would go Ironsides, but I bet you will happy with any of them. They are all top notch.

Besides the obvious shipping - any other rational behind that?
Note there isn't much local to the midwest and the ones that are seem to be exiting the market or on hold indefinitely.

Spoke to the guy at Ironside this morning - not accepting new orders now either so the 2 most local options (Ironside & T&K) are both unavailable :(

So only 3 available options - all shipping now...

Humphrey's Qubed @ $3500
Cascade Q-Deville @ $3900
LSG Mini @ $4300

All seem to have great reviews... My wife would be happiest with the first price, why should I go with a more expensive unit?

So I decided I want to replace and upgrade my smoker. I'm pretty set on a reverse flow cabinet style unit and am trying to come to terms with the price I need to pay, from there it's all about the best choice. (Background I've been smoking meat on occasion for 15+yrs mostly on WSMs)

I "narrowed" it down to:
  • Humphreys - The name that got my search started
  • Cascade - My current perceived favorite.
I've eliminated: Backwoods & now my very local option (Fat Daddy as they aren't reverse flow)
I might consider T&K since they are psudeo local but I haven't heard back and have no idea what they charge. Moving Ironside here(local but price and response). LSG all in is in the same price point, but doesn't feel like my pit (I don't know why).

Any of these will probably be overkill for my needs pricing is "similar" but an important factor as these are approaching wife kills me numbers. So what do you recommend & why.

Go humphreys and don’t look back. The build quality is amazing. Mine is almost ten years old and looks almost as good as it did the day it was new and I’ve used mine well over 100+ times. I’d go with the drop in water pan option since you can always put a heat diverter over it and use a slide out if you change your mind. Pm me if you want any other details on the humphreys or have any questions. Also if price is a factor with the boss just go with the battle box, each rack will hold a full hotel pan. I’ve never seen the need to have an extra inch or two on each side for the added price. Spend the money saved on legs, casters, pit tool, charcoal maze and extra grate

Back