Offset smoker choice - 16" and long or 20" and compact?

Toeter

Knows what a fatty is.
Hi all,

So I've decided to expand my collection with an offset smoker. This has always been high on my list to get. But the prizes and the "why do you need another bbq?!" were putting me back. But today is the day, I have decided (and got permission), I am going to get one!

First off, I am from the Netherlands. I have no offset smoker experience. All i'm going on is information I found on Youtube/Forum posts etc..

So from my understanding: The bigger the smoker, the thicker the steel.. the easier it is to manage/control the temperatures. I've been looking at a German website that handsbuild their own smokers. The brand is called 'Nette Lette'.

I do have some budget restrictions of around $1600,-. So when looking at their smokers I am doubting between 2:

- A 16" smoker - thickness: 6,2mm > 1/4" - Long > Cooking surface is length: 100cm > ~40" by width: 40cm > ~16"
or...
- A 20" smoker - thickness: 6,2mm > 1/4" - Compact > Cooking surface is length: 70cm > ~27.5" by width: 50cm > ~20"

My theory (again, purely based on stuff I've seen on Youtube).. Is that I think the 16" long version would be better. Since it has a longer cooking chamber, thus not having the issue with a direct heat spot right next to the firebox. Ofcourse you still have the heatspot, but the longer chamber means you have more room to put the meat more to the side.

In the ideal world it would be a 20" long.. but there is no way I can sell that to my wife since the cost would be too high.
I also 1 more doubt.. Do i go for the classic smoker or should I look at a reverse flow smoker?

Could you guys help this dutchy out with some advise? Thanks in advance!

Pic for reference:
Kazan-Smoker-16-Long-6-mm_439.jpg

~Toeter

Last edited:
- I’m assuming you mean diameter.? 16” should be Illegal, go 20”

I’d take a 3/16” (even 1/8” or 11 gauge) x 20” over a 1/4” x 16”. All day and twice on Tuesday.

27” Length - from firebox side to smokestack ? :shock: Too Small - 36” minimum, 42” Much Better.

I prefer vertical stick burners…………

Last edited:
Ok so I found another one from a different brand: http://www.mypatio.eu/en/product/20011/140

It's 20" in diameter.
Cooking chamber grill size: Length: ~40" x ~20"
Firefox: ~20" x ~20"

Would that be a better option?

Much Better - only thing I see at first glance is the exhaust could be bigger diameter and lower but it should run well as is. And move the thermometer down - one on either side of the handle about 2-3” from the handle

SmittyJonz said:
Much Better - only thing I see at first glance is the exhaust could be bigger diameter and lower but it should run well as is. And move the thermometer down - one on either side of the handle about 2-3” from the handle

+1 on this. It appears that they will make changes on request. Definitely move the exhaust and thermometer lower. You are interested in the temps near the grate.

Would lowering the exhaust, mean they should make it longer to compensate for the draft?

Would lowering the exhaust, mean they should make it longer to compensate for the draft?

The hole would be at grate level or just above it and bigger diameter - like 3-3.5-4 inch - same length should be fine. Hard to tell diameter by pic - if 3” it’s Fine

Last edited:
Back