My wife wants to diet again. Now what?

There are several questions to be answered before decent advice can be given. Unless you want half assed opinions and everybody telling you what works best in their personal situations. None of that information is even remotely useful TO YOU AND YOUR WIFE.

Are you young? Older? Severely overweight? Just need to lose a few pounds? health issues (blood pressure, diabetes, cholesteral)? weight issues since childhood? Depending on the answers from above, the advice can range from portion control + exercise to more serious or drastic diets/measures recommended.

I can only tell you what works for me or people with similar circumstances or what I have personally seen and experienced, but not knowing you and your wife's situation other than "wanting to go on a diet" I have no clue what to suggest.

But in general terms, the American diet contains way too much processed sugars and carbs. Cutting out a lot of processed carbs and sugars (white bread, chips, pasta, sugar, sodas etc) is never bad advise.

Last edited:
This is a clear sign that you are a sugar addict. Does it get easier? After 3-4 days as the stored sugar in your body runs out it gets easier. After 2-3 weeks as you physically and mentally adapt, it gets even easier. After that though, it can get harder. If you cheat a little, say for a big dinner event, you have to be extra diligent for the next couple days to not fall off the wagon.

Also, the key piece of learning that helped me was realizing excess protein gets processed into sugars. You have to nearly eliminate carbs AND control protein to stay solidly in ketosis and not have the hunger and cravings. At least that’s how it works for me.

The hardest part is reintroducing limited carbs after losing the weight without triggering your addictive behaviors. Best advice I can share there is to consciously keeps carb portions low and get on the scale often. It will tell you when you need to go strict keto again for a couple weeks to get back on track.

I may have to give it a full time try and see how it goes. If I understand it correctly it’s probably better for someone with near high blood pressure diagnosis and family history of diabetes than a low calorie/low fat way of living.

I said I'd never drink my breakfast either. A TIA 4 years ago changed that. I have a protein shake for breakfast.

My wife wants to eat healthy as well, which means I want to eat healthy as well.

I have a vegan curry that I make (tomatoes, onions, garlic, ginger, olive oil, spices). It has peas and mushrooms in it, but I have added chicken and tofu to "beef up" the protein. We love sangak, but the carbs are not friendly. We use low carb pitas instead, so we get the bread taste without the large waist.

Your body needs carbs. Your brain especially. Most of us only need about 20-50g of carbs per day.

Try cauliflower rice. Try rice wrappers (the things they use to wrap spring rolls).

It's a pain to read labels, trust me. But with some of our own passing on due to health-related issues, it's the only wise choice.

I’m in the same boat. Went on a low calorie diet about two years ago and lost almost 60#. Unfortunately I fell off the wagon and am back up to 240. Want to get into my xl shirts again. Hate veggies (most of them don’t agree with my system). Gave the low carb deal a one day try and by the end of the day wanted to eat every carb on site. Does it get easier? I think there was a mental block there also that I would never be able to eat normal bread, pasta, piece of cake, etc again.

Vegetables are generally overrated anyway and disagree with lots of folks systems, including mine! Despite what we’ve been/are told, vegetables aren’t really that good for us or the magic bullet we’ve been told they are (do your own homework!)

Yes, it gets easier, waaay easier! Increase your fat intake while going through the withdrawals. A heavy bulletproof coffee does the trick for me. YMMV

Oh yea, and learn to make fathead dough, it’s amazing “bread”

This is a clear sign that you are a sugar addict. Does it get easier? After 3-4 days as the stored sugar in your body runs out it gets easier. After 2-3 weeks as you physically and mentally adapt, it gets even easier. After that though, it can get harder. If you cheat a little, say for a big dinner event, you have to be extra diligent for the next couple days to not fall off the wagon.

Also, the key piece of learning that helped me was realizing excess protein gets processed into sugars. You have to nearly eliminate carbs AND control protein to stay solidly in ketosis and not have the hunger and cravings. At least that’s how it works for me.

The hardest part is reintroducing limited carbs after losing the weight without triggering your addictive behaviors. Best advice I can share there is to consciously keeps carb portions low and get on the scale often. It will tell you when you need to go strict keto again for a couple weeks to get back on track.

I did the Atkins diet about 15 years ago. The 4th day, I was going crazy (forgot to read the book past Day 3). I now understood The Twinkie Defense (google it). I was a carb addict. I ran down to the store to get those Atkins chocolate bars, and let one slide down my throat slowly. Monkey satiated. As the days past, I lost the craving.

For women, it's a bit different. My wife at the time tried to do Atkins, and hit the same wall at Day 4. I woke up to her on top on my with a Fudgesicle that she was trying to ram down my throat. I told her that I had left some Atkins bars in her dresser drawer. I left for work (quickly). I came home to find her complaining about having the runs. I asked her how many of the bars she ate. She had eaten 6. I couldn't suppress the laughter. Sugar Alcohols (one of the sweeteners used in Atkins bars) causes the runs, if taken in sufficient quantities (like 6 bars). Needless to say, she didn't stay on Atkins long.

Vegetables are generally overrated anyway and disagree with lots of folks systems, including mine! Despite what we’ve been/are told, vegetables aren’t really that good for us or the magic bullet we’ve been told they are (do your own homework!)

Yes, it gets easier, waaay easier! Increase your fat intake while going through the withdrawals. A heavy bulletproof coffee does the trick for me. YMMV

Oh yea, and learn to make fathead dough, it’s amazing “bread”

The problem is from everything I’ve read they are supposed to be a big part of the low carb way of eating.

All veggies are not created equal. It is hard to have any healthy diet with zero veggies but there are many to choose from and many ways to prepare them.

There are thousands of people who are zero carbers!

This was my lunch at Whataburger and it was FANTASTIC!! The bun would have ruined it!

The only vegetable I have is romain lettuce maybe every couple of weeks when a salad sounds good. The only fruit I have is avocado, and tomatoes (that’s just cause they’re fresh off the vines in the backyard, when they’re gone I won’t have any more till next summer) and that’s really about it. All that being said it’s an experiment and I’ve found what works for me! I’m almost 49 and will put my lab work up against anyone’s!

You should checkout Dr. Ken Berry on youtube...

Agree 100%

. I came home to find her complaining about having the runs. I asked her how many of the bars she ate. She had eaten 6. I couldn't suppress the laughter. Sugar Alcohols (one of the sweeteners used in Atkins bars) causes the runs, if taken in sufficient quantities (like 6 bars). Needless to say, she didn't stay on Atkins long.

Thats for sure....and god forbid you throw some nicotene in the mix, and even more so after you had a low carb liquor beverage or 3 the night before. But, that is a story for another day :thumb:

It’s best to avoid alllllll sugar or “sugar substitutes.”

Y’all wanna get to the root? Start digging into sugar...

#thatchitaintnogood

If there is only one thing you do, ditch the free sugars. In the SAD, doing just that alone is enough for people to lose a little weight and feel a little better. Do that for a few weeks and then if you are ready, do the rest. BUT! Be careful. If you have free sugars and start consuming higher levels of fats and proteins, you'll get fatter and sicker. Check the Keto Thread for more info.

Just eat smaller portions, but keep eating what you like :)

The inability to do that is what got many where they are in the first place...lack of portion control/self control (I include myself in that statement). Try eating over 2000 calories on a keto diet...its actually fairly hard to do.

I maintain my godlike physique through a balanced diet of the five basic food groups:

Fat
Salt
Sugar
Preservatives
Alcohol

I totally agree with Jeremy on avoiding sugar not that I am as good as I should be at it. Like Tom I enjoy having a beer too much. Did keto and yes I adapted pretty good until covid hit and stuck at home. I have just tried to stay diligent and use moderation and just do what we all know is right to and not right to eat. The trick is self control

Back