My new Carolina HOG PIT has arrived!!! - Food Pron included!

That is a nice rig.
Can you show us how you fit a hog on that? The lid doesn't seem deep enough from the photos.

I always thought that the fat dripping on the coals was the main taste signature in whole hog bbq. Would the diffuser plate change that?

The fat still drips on the coals just not in a streaming bonfire fashion. For smaller hogs I wont use it nor for sub 200lb yorkshires, duroc polands etc.

But lots of the big heritage hogs I cook are infernos waiting to happen so im very careful with them. The diffuser will be a big help in preventing grease fires.

That is a nice rig.
Can you show us how you fit a hog on that? The lid doesn't seem deep enough from the photos.

Well my hogs are usually either butterflied or simply flatten out so there's plenty of space.

I'd imagine doing a running style hog not to be a problem but it wouldn't a Carolina style hog now would it? :mrgreen::mrgreen::mrgreen:

That being said, if a client wants one that way, I'll shoe-horn her in an snap a picture for the Brethren.

Queeeeeeeeeeeens Acres is the place to be.
HoOOOOOOG cookin' is the life for me!
Pig spreadin' out so far and wide,
Keep your salad and gimme some slaw fer sides.

The fat still drips on the coals just not in a streaming bonfire fashion. For smaller hogs I wont use it nor for sub 200lb yorkshires, duroc polands etc.

But lots of the big heritage hogs I cook are infernos waiting to happen so im very careful with them. The diffuser will be a big help in preventing grease fires.

Gotcha. I used to raise Durocs and they were lean. The last Chester White I BBQed dripped a lot. Super sweet cooker, btw!

This is one jealous Carolina man!!

That being said.....I'm glad you got a sweet cooker for the rush. However, I'm still hoping the crooks get whats coming to them in a big way.

Back