THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I'm glad that you have found some suggestions on rubs to try that meet your requirement. Please keep in mind that I am not trying to be antagonistic, but I've been thinking about this and since you have been to a medical doctor who has confirmed that you are allergic to MSG, I'd like to know how he determined that. Did he check your immune response or histamine levels after contact with or ingestion of MSG? Did he recommend an antihistamine or even prescribe an epinephrine pen in case you should eat at a restaurant which uses MSG without your knowledge or against your ordering requests? I would just like to understand how some one could be allergic to MSG.

Thanks,

dmp

I suspect that the MD used the non-medical version of "allergic," the way many people use it, to mean "any random sensitivity." It's very difficult to explain how anyone could be actually allergic to glutamate, because it's in all kinds of food and, in fact, your body manufactures several grams of it every day. An average person has something like 3 pounds of glutamate bound up in various proteins. But some people seem to be sensitive to glutamates, and incorrectly call the sensitivity an allergy. A far *greater* number blame glutamates for things that aren't caused by glutamates at all. Isolating food sensitivities is incredibly hard.

That's why I'm concerned for the Brethren who first reported the problem... the odds are *very* high that he (she?) has a wrong diagnosis. As far as I can tell, swelling and orange skin aren't typical symptoms of either MSG sensitivity or any allergy.

Of course, the original poster didn't ask for medical advice, and I'm no doctor, so I won't mind at all if you ignore me completely. :thumb:

dmprantz - No you are not be antagonistic but this is starting to border on rude and asinine.

So to briefly answer your question:

First he made me list what foods I ate before I had the "reaction" for the day before.

He then ran tests on my blood before and after I ingested a small amount at his office and monitored the results of the tests for 48 hours... He also tested for other possible causes of the reaction and other possible allergic reactions. Guess what he came up with the highest probability? MSG glutamates... and some other things that are none of your business nor up for discussion.

He did not supply me an epi pen.

Most restaurants are pretty honest with what they use..(I used to manage a restaurant in the Walt Disney area for 3 years... Want me to prove that too?) I have been aware of this for a while now so I always ask and if the waiter seems unsure I ask for the manager and explain the reason why..

We are working with a vitamin regmine first to see if it minimizes the reaction to it as I am not a fan of long term medications (personal belief) and no I wont go into my personal beliefs. Some doctors believe it helps some dont... so we will see

I do not mind sharing what he did, but seriously do I need to keep proving this...:crazy: Do you want to see the blood tests?:roll: If this does not answer your question too bad as this is all I will share as I am not here to prove anything.

I am a member of a forum who asked a question and was expecting to get a educated answers to it.. Not a PROVE IT! :roll: For the most part I received some great replies and suggestions.

Ask yourself this: Do we ask anyone on here to prove that they actually made the food they did? No we look at pictures and take their word for it (yes their word odd concept these days I guess :rolleyes:)... who knows maybe someone else made it and they are taking credit for it.. Or do we ask someone to prove they are allergic to peanuts, dogs or cats for that matter...

Thanks to the ones who have helped and offered some suggestions of other products.

to help y'all out on symptoms and all. Did I have them all no I had some..

I got this from here
http://www.foodfacts.com/education/index.cfm?ingredient=3&topic=77

Effects and Symptoms

Effects:

Cardiac
Circulatory
Neurological
Respiratory
Skin
Urological

Typical symptoms of free-glutamic acid sensitive people

Headache/Migraines
Depression, mood swings
Flushing
Sweating
Sense of facial pressure or tightness
Numbness, tingling or burning around mouth
Heart palpitations
Shortness of breath
Nausea
Weakness
Chest pain
Asthma
Swelling
Skin rash
Anxiety
Hyperactivity
Drop in blood pressure
Stiffness
Joint pain

Good response, Jwall. What you see here is a typical response from people who do not suffer MSG related reactions and are ignorant of the misery it can cause. Call it an allergy, call it a reaction, or call it Fred, it still causes a problem for those sensitive to it. I also think it is rude to tell someone they do not know anything about what is or is not going on with that person's body.

Chuck

MSG is an excellent Colon Flush for me. 15 minutes after eating it, I am RUNNING to the John!!!!
I do not think I am making this up.

I believe you are taking the questions wrong. It sounds to me that we are trying to help you understand that the source of the described misery may just beyond MSG.

However, gettting all fired and stressed out about people questioning your post on a forum is not neccesary, IMHO.

Mod Note: There is a ton of conflicting information/opinion about MSG available. Let's try to keep the discussion civil and not question motives or integrity.

Asking questions and all but questioning ones word or integrity is pushing it. I was brought up to respect others. My dad always said. Mean what you say and say what you mean.

Feel free to ask construtive questions but to question if I really went to the dr or it's all in my head is crap!

I appreciate the other insight of others and informed the doctor of it as well. Right now it's a waiting game to see how things pan out

Not stressed at all about this more like floored. I ask a simple question and it turns out like this.

This really makes me question the forum and others

I mean this in the utmost respectful way: If you ask 3 MD's or DO's to look at the same lab results and symptoms they may/won't always interpret that info the same way. My point is I never take any one person's (doc, lawyer, carpenter, plumber, fill in the blank) word as absolute "gospel". Too often we take one "experts" opinion as the end all be all. This is a general statement and not aimed towards anyone.

I mean this in the utmost respectful way: If you ask 3 MD's or DO's to look at the same lab results and symptoms they may/won't always interpret that info the same way. My point is I never take any one person's (doc, lawyer, carpenter, plumber, fill in the blank) word as absolute "gospel". Too often we take one "experts" opinion as the end all be all. This is a general statement and not aimed towards anyone.

OK, I gotta ask you this. A guy comes here asking for a recipe or source for MSG free rub, and mentions that he is sensitive to it. Instead of information he's seeking, he gets a rash of chit about MSG not being an allergen, have you been to a doctor, glutamates are found everywhere, go see another doctor, yadda, yadda, yadda. What's with that, can't you just take his word that it bothers him aand try to help him, or do you have some innate need to play medical advisor? He didn't ask for anyone's nutritional or medical advice, he just wants to make barbecue, for Pete's sake.

And this isn't just aimed at Gwags.

Chuck

Mod Note from my Crackberry: I'll be sitting at a keyboard shortly. Why don't you guys take a break until then.

PS A Mod Note coming from my Crackberry is NOT a good thing.

Just food for thought on the MSG allergy topic, a lot of the commercially available MSG is extracted from wheat proteins. The protein is what people are allergic to so if someone is allergic to MSG they may also have an allergy to wheat. Although it may not show up the same way or as severely. So you may want to get checked for a wheat allergy.

MSG is an excellent Colon Flush for me. 15 minutes after eating it, I am RUNNING to the John!!!!
I do not think I am making this up.

This has turned into an interesting topic, I love it because I for one have learned something.

My Doctor says I'm Lactose intolerant. Could be? But he also tested me for a Wheat allergy. Still waiting for the results. But I have had the same problem that kickassbbq has. So could it be MSG? Don't know, but I will bring it up the next time I see my GI.

And yes, some of us are rude, but this is not Disney Land is it?

OK now that I had to leave the gym, and a workout I desperately needed for my sanity and general happiness, lets address a few issues.

1) It hasn't been long since Phil/BBQChef33 posted this: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=81360&highlight=piss+shoes . Check out the forum rules as well: http://www.bbq-brethren.com/forum/showthread.php?t=14685

1a) Go read it again.

1b) Those posts define what this forum will be like. There is no debate about that.

1c) See 1b) above.

2) I'm at fault for not stepping in sooner.

3) A moderator does not need public support after posting a note. Nor do they need public debate. If debate is desired, please drop them a PM. A Mode Note is not a request. Please refer to 1c) above if you are unclear on that point.

I've followed this thread since the beginning. As I've stated before, there is a lot of conflicting information and opinion on the subject of MSG. Personally I know more than one person that can tell me whether MSG is present in something they eat. I accept that as fact. I'm also aware of scientific studies that contradict much of the information about how common that "condition", for lack of a better term, is. The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.

In some cases I've read posts that probably could have been phrased differently, and as a result would have been perceived differently. In some cases I think some intent was inferred that I didn't perceive. It happens with the written word. As a result we are all responsible for what we write, and to an extent the way it is perceived by the reader. We, as readers, should also make every effort to give someone the benefit of the doubt and assume that no insult was intended more often than not.

There are too many members on this forum, to allow folks to sort it out via 'big boy rules'. If you have a problem, take it to a moderator by reporting a post. If it doesn't merit using the "Report Post" button then by all means feel free to drop me a PM and I'll look at it. If you have a relationship with another moderator and would rather have them look at it, by all means do so.

The posts in question WILL remain. I want folks to be able to go back and see exactly what happened, and why moderator intervention was required. If everybody will remember rule 1c) life will be peachy
:becky:

Those of you that have sent me PMs already can expect a reply as soon as I'm able to get to them.

Back