THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Don't EVER judge a BBQ cook-off if you can't have MSG because many of the top competitors use it. That's sort of my gauge of how many people really are allergic to it. I've never heard of a judge declining to eat the food because of it and I've never heard of one having a reaction.

If you can't hang with MSG don't use any Plowboy's recipe like Yardbird or Bovine Bold. They're both loaded.

I think 'loaded' is pretty harsh.

I used the last of my Bovine Bold the other day, so I can't check the label. I think the next run of Yardbird will be MSG free as well but Todd would need to confirm that.

In the interest of full disclosure, Todd is a personal friend of mine. That being said, we ALL need to be careful about what we say regarding various products. Both positive and negative comments need to be factual. Whether it's a company, individual, forum member, or someone we've never heard of, I'd hate to see inaccurate information from this forum negatively impact the sales or public perception of any product.

I think 'loaded' is pretty harsh.

I used the last of my Bovine Bold the other day, so I can't check the label. I think the next run of Yardbird will be MSG free as well but Todd would need to confirm that.

In the interest of full disclosure, Todd is a personal friend of mine. That being said, we ALL need to be careful about what we say regarding various products. Both positive and negative comments need to be factual. Whether it's a company, individual, forum member, or someone we've never heard of, I'd hate to see inaccurate information from this forum negatively impact the sales or public perception of any product.

There are TRACE amounts of MSG in the products. Co-packer and I have reviewed and tested MSG free versions. Working on new labels. Should be cutting over to MSG free this summer.

If you can't hang with MSG don't use any Plowboy's recipe like Yardbird or Bovine Bold. They're both loaded.

And you know my recipes... how? How do you know they are "loaded"?

If you're allergic to MSG, you also will be allergic to soy sauce, tomatoes, shrimp, and parmesan cheese (among other things). They're all FULL of glutamate!!!!

On the other hand, if you can eat these without an allergic reaction, you may well be allergic to something else and not glutamate. Food allergies definitely aren't something to mess around with - you need to be certain that you're avoiding the real culprit.

This is sound advice! Go see an allergist. MSG may be the culprit, but MSG and natural glutemates are in all sorts of foods. Label might not say MSG, it may instead say hydrolized vegetable protein, hydolyzed yeast, soy extracts, etc.

Glutemates are, to some degree, in almost all packaged foods these days. Sometimes, even if the produclt label says no MSG, it may still contain some other form of glutemate. They are in canned soups and veggies, part of many artificially flavored foods, etc.

For your healths sake, see your doc about your symptoms, and then consider an allergist as well

I agree with the above. MSG is not known to be an allergen. Many ppl have adverse reactions to high sodium foods and blame it on MSG, but if it's really sodium, many rubs will cause you to react the same or worse. Also, if it was caused by Asian food, it could be a peanut allergy. I agree that you should find the true cause of your reactions from a trained professional.

All of that being said, 3Eyz rub is MSG free and available in many places.

dmp

Thanks everyone! I appreciate it... Who knew you could be allergic to the crud...
MSG is not an Allergen.
MSG may not be an allergen but I too am sensitive to it. Anytime I eat anything with MSG including too many of certain brands of chips (like Dorritos), a lot of restaurant and packaged oriental foods and etc., I get a very bizarre headache. Too much MSG and it is almost migraine like. After getting done judging a contest this past weekend, I thought my head was going to explode!

As long as it doesn't kill me a little discomfort the amount of fun received is worth it... I think.

John

I do know I am allergic to MSG and I have been to a doctor about it.. So lets not assume I haven't.. I do watch what I eat and yes no Doritos for me :tsk:

I have become more aware of what I eat and read labels religiously. One label slipped by me when my son went shopping.:doh: Oh well so be it.

As for plowboys I look forward to trying the MSG free one... And for all the other recommendations I will be ordering a bottle of each to see how it works for me... Been using the Dizzy Pig for a while now and enjoy their rubs.

Thanks all again... lets not assume until all the facts are in...:thumb:

I feel your pain bro's! Well actually my wife does! 10 years of migraines...nothing helped... she stopped eating anything (there's ton's) of food with MSG and SODIUM NITITE or was it Nitrate?(preservative) The last year her migraines have gotten at least 90% less... I wish I knew what one was exactly causing it as we stopped both at the same time...but she doesn't care, she's not willing to find out...she had those bad ones where the neurologist would drug her up, and if that didn't work, take her to ER for morphine and other high grade stuff...

If you're allergic to MSG, you also will be allergic to soy sauce, tomatoes, shrimp, and parmesan cheese (among other things). They're all FULL of glutamate!!!!

On the other hand, if you can eat these without an allergic reaction, you may well be allergic to something else and not glutamate. Food allergies definitely aren't something to mess around with - you need to be certain that you're avoiding the real culprit.

Not true, my wife can eat all of those without problems, but dust a little MSG on anything she eats, and her lips and tongue swell, canker sores pop up, and a migraine sets in. And yes, she has been to a doctor about it. His answer: "You're allergic to MSG. Stay away from it.".

Chuck

Just food for thought on the MSG allergy topic, a lot of the commercially available MSG is extracted from wheat proteins. The protein is what people are allergic to so if someone is allergic to MSG they may also have an allergy to wheat. Although it may not show up the same way or as severely. So you may want to get checked for a wheat allergy.

And you know my recipes... how? How do you know they are "loaded"?

I withdraw my statement. Let's just say MSG is on the list of ingredients of both products. Which I know because I'm a customer of yours, and a happy one! I was somewhat taken aback when I first saw MSG on the ingredient list of both products, that's until I got the reactions of the people I cook for, which were 100% enthusiastically positive.

I'm no food lawyer. But I think that ingredient lists have to be ordered, so the thing that there's the most of appears first, then the thing that there's the next most of, and so forth. So the list should end with the particular substance that occurs in the smallest quantity. The only other thing I want to say is that MSG isn't the last ingredient in either list.

I only brought this up because the OP said he was MSG-sensitive, and I figured he deserved to know.

seattlepitboss

All of my Todd's Dirt Seasonings/rubs have NO MSG and are Gluten Free, no additives 100% all natural. I know a lot of people who have issues with MSG and Gluten. I feel for them.
Todd

That is why I will be placing an order to give it a whirl.... My wife was like "That really looks like dirt" I told her we were going to try it and see and shes like sounds good to me... :thumb:

I do know I am allergic to MSG and I have been to a doctor about it..

I'm glad that you have found some suggestions on rubs to try that meet your requirement. Please keep in mind that I am not trying to be antagonistic, but I've been thinking about this and since you have been to a medical doctor who has confirmed that you are allergic to MSG, I'd like to know how he determined that. Did he check your immune response or histamine levels after contact with or ingestion of MSG? Did he recommend an antihistamine or even prescribe an epinephrine pen in case you should eat at a restaurant which uses MSG without your knowledge or against your ordering requests? I would just like to understand how some one could be allergic to MSG.

Thanks,

dmp

Back