THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

If you are talking solely KCBS contests, it's hard to argue with the lists presented.
But as Kap'n and butts alluded to, there's more than just KCBS out there :wink:. There are a lot of Stump's Smokers out there winning a bunch of contests as well.

It could be all FE's or all WSMs or whatever in that list of three plus grands but it really doesn't matter. Most of those guys could cook on a ECB and win contests. All that list proves is what these guys' favorite smokers happen to be. It is and always will be the cook and not the cooker. If it weren't, some folks who cook on an FE and never do well would be winning contests as well.

It could be all FE's or all WSMs or whatever in that list of three plus grands but it really doesn't matter. Most of those guys could cook on a ECB and win contests. All that list proves is what these guys' favorite smokers happen to be. It is and always will be the cook and not the cooker. If it weren't, some folks who cook on an FE and never do well would be winning contests as well.

I agree that it's the cook first, and the cooker second..

I'd also say that it's possible, and may even exist to some degree that some can come on and only learn with insulated pits, pellet cookers, guru/stokers use some well known rubs/sauces/injections and might possibly get crushed trying to manage their way through a cheap offset and some individual spices etc. that requires added skill.

Knowing what it takes to win a comp, and knowing how to cook great BBQ are not necessarily one in the same.

You are all missing the obvious answer: Weber Kettle. This is probably a common thread among 80% of teams out there.

I see a lot of FEC's out there these days, especially as I cook closer to the Ponca City Mothership. Sometimes these guys aren't getting calls or finishing middle of the pack. So, yes, cooker doesn't mean everything... but it means something.

Next discussion: Tent vs. Trailer vs. RV. :mrgreen:

I see a lot of FEC's out there these days, especially as I cook closer to the Ponca City Mothership. Sometimes these guys aren't getting calls or finishing middle of the pack. So, yes, cooker doesn't mean everything... but it means something.

Next discussion: Tent vs. Trailer vs. RV. :mrgreen:

In New England its almost ALL Backwoods now. Scottie can confirm. At Maine couple weekends ago it seemed like a BWS convention.

I cook on WSMs because they work for me. I know how to control the heat so I don't have to babysit them, they are light and don't take up much room in my trailer, etc. But that's not to say I couldn't spend some time practicing on a backwoods or an FEC or a Spicewine and do ok. Cook on what works for you.

In New England its almost ALL Backwoods now. Scottie can confirm. At Maine couple weekends ago it seemed like a BWS convention.

I sure wouldn't want to show up and forgot my BBQr's Delight pellets... What I find funny. The reigning NEBS TOY for the last 5 years (I know cause I stole the trophy for some b ling in Maine..) Uses a FE. Why aren't all you NEBites, besides Brenden buying FE's? I would think a S+ S trailer with a Backwoods/FE set-up would be standard....

I'd borrow one if there was an extra and fly in for a whole bunch more contests, io can tell you that!!!

Lobstah and Poon....

I hear ya. Lots of regional trends. Most of it is a combination of word of mouth and regional "mentors".

What I find funny. The reigning NEBS TOY for the last 5 years (I know cause I stole the trophy for some b ling in Maine..) Uses a FE. Why aren't all you NEBites, besides Brenden buying FE's? I would think a S+ S trailer with a Backwoods/FE set-up would be standard....

I guess we thought the FE was just for show :lol:

And also, we got a great fuel supplier local - Wicked Good. Pellets require shipping in these parts.

I guess we thought the FE was just for show :lol:

And also, we got a great fuel supplier local - Wicked Good. Pellets require shipping in these parts.

But you can buy in mass, then shipping isn't that bad... But I do understand about Wicked Good. I came home with a loadful for signing up early... Trying to figure out how to get it into my FE, without breaking the auger....

Well, ISS might use it for show... I thought I had a good shigging location and then Sean put up his EZ-up and blocked my view... Damn him.... :icon_smil

Back