THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

It's not the cooker it's the cook. Look at the top 10 in the KCBS points race and not a single pit dominates.

I'm not sure what your definition of dominate is but I sure do count a lot of Geers and FECs in the Top 10.

Here's the list of teams that have won 3 or more KCBS comps this year and what they cook on (I don't know a lot of them, can someone please fill them in?)

1)IOWAS SMOKEY DS BBQ 5 - FE and WSM
2)BUTCHER BBQ 4 - FE
2)MUNCHIN HOGS AT THE HILTON 4 - Horizon
2)PELLET ENVY 4 - FE or Geer
5)CHATHAM ARTILLERY BBQ 3 - ?
5)COOL SMOKE 3 - Geer
5)GREAT GRILLS O FIRE 3 - homemade
5)I SMELL SMOKE 3 - FE & BWS
5)JP CUSTOM SMOKE 3 - ?
5)LO N SLO BBQ 3 - ?
5)LOTTA BULL BBQ 3 - Geer (still?) (has switched to a Yoder)
5)PORK PULLIN PLOWBOYS 3 - FE and CS
5)QUAU 3 - Peoria or Stumps
5)RHYTHM N QUE 3 - WSM
5)SLAP YO DADDY BBQ 3 - WSM
5)SMOKE ON WHEELS 3 - CS and FE
5)WILD BUNCH BUTT BURNERS 3 - ?
5)Big Tz (adding them because they also won the Qlossal) 3 - WSM

Last edited by a moderator:
There may be some regionalism with them as well. The Meadow Creeks are popular around the mid-Atlantic. Backwoods and WSM's are very common as well.

Here's the list of teams that have won 3 or more KCBS comps this year and what they cook on (I don't know a lot of them, can someone please fill them in?)

1)IOWAS SMOKEY DS BBQ 5 - FE and WSM
2)BUTCHER BBQ 4 - ?
2)MUNCHIN HOGS AT THE HILTON 4 - Horizon
2)PELLET ENVY 4 - FE's or Geer
5)CHATHAM ARTILLERY BBQ 3 - ?
5)COOL SMOKE 3 - ?
5)GREAT GRILLS O FIRE 3 - homemade
5)I SMELL SMOKE 3 - FE (?)
5)JP CUSTOM SMOKE 3 - ?
5)LO N SLO BBQ 3 - ?
5)LOTTA BULL BBQ 3 - Geer (still?)
5)PORK PULLIN PLOWBOYS 3 - FE and CS
5)QUAU 3 - Peoria or Stumps
5)RHYTHM N QUE 3 - WSM???
5)SLAP YO DADDY BBQ 3 - WSM ???
5)SMOKE ON WHEELS 3 CS and FE

You beat me to this, I was working on the same thing. ;-)

I am certain RnQ and Slap Yo Daddy cook on WSMs. Pretty sure Tuffy cooks on a Jambo.

I really do not know, nor care, which pit wins--it is the cook as we all know. :lol:

Here in the SE, most of the "circuit regular" teams that compete a lot cook in "insulated" cookers.
Might be Stumps, SpiceWines, FEC's, Superiors, or what ever.

Very few traditional horizontal stickburners used except by teams that come out to cook a local event or two.

Times are a-changing :lol:

TIM

How much food could a good cooker cook if a good cooker could cook food?

Exactly. Tiger Woods would probably not score as well with my clubs compared to his own, but if he put his clubs in my bag it's not going to magically make me competitive.

Wild Bunch cooks on a stick burner. A Jim Tolen original from Huntsville, AL. Similar to a Geer. Yes, Jamie has checked out one first hand....

I would suspect that more and more insulated vertical pits (FE, Spicewine, Backwoods Stumps etc,) are showing up in the winner's circle than traditional offset pits, especially with what is passing for competitive BBQ now.

Let's face it, a lot of the winners are poaching their chicken and wet braising their ribs, pork and briskets with very light smoke. Vertical units are easier to control, don't have to be fueled as often and are more temperature consistent throughout the cooking chamber. Add to that that Pellet poopers and charcoal towers have significantly shorter learning curves than stick burners.

I heard this at a comp which pretty much sums it up: "The offset stick burner is the best biased ply tire running in a race full of radials."

I would suspect that more and more insulated vertical pits (FE, Spicewine, Backwoods Stumps etc,) are showing up in the winner's circle than traditional offset pits, especially with what is passing for competitive BBQ now.

Let's face it, a lot of the winners are poaching their chicken and wet braising their ribs, pork and briskets with very light smoke. Vertical units are easier to control, don't have to be fueled as often and are more temperature consistent throughout the cooking chamber. Add to that that Pellet poopers and charcoal towers have significantly shorter learning curves than stick burners.

I heard this at a comp which pretty much sums it up: "The offset stick burner is the best biased ply tire running in a race full of radials."
I love my big insulated vertical pit, but I have to admit the food seemed to taste better on my big stick burner. It sure is nice not to have to put a log in every hour though.

The last three years KCBS team of the year has been won by teams using traditional off-sets.

Back