THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

OP

Hello,

I am practicing pulled pork for the 1st competition and I was trying to trim the pork butt so that there are 3 different parts - horn, middle part for pulled pork, and money muscle. Can someone please tell me how big the money muscle roughly is (circumference in the middle in '')? I understand it will be approximate as each butt is different, but some rough guideline would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Why is it always about size?

:becky:

Seriously, I have seen MMs that were the diameter of a quarter and some that are three inches. There is no specific answer. You can squeeze it and get a handle on the size.

Is there any problem with using the MM plus the adjacent muscle group?

vTUiLqK.jpg

I would have to say no. Was that as good as it looks?
Sent from my KFSUWI using Tapatalk

Absolutely.

I was inspired years ago by a turn-in box posted by Dave Stamper (Old Dave), which had a multi-muscle presentation. I've judged many similar boxes. Practicing your MM tenderness when cooking a whole butt is one thing, but when I make sausage or chili grind from a butt I remove the money muscle end of the butt... prep and tie with string, and smoke them as a small roast. When grinding 5 or 6 butts I wrap the roasts for the freezer.

15t1GFj.jpg

HPfZlMa.jpg

depends on the pig... so there is no specific size and you cant even depend on the overall size of the butt. You can get a 14Lb butt with a small MM. Since youre in KS, you should at least see MM that are decent sizes(id guess 1.5 inches across and up). Ive seen MM at Midwest contests that are the size of beer cans. When I was shopping there, 12+ lb Butts were the norm. Here in the NE, unless you buy from a specialized distributor, butts average 8-9 lbs with luck giving you a 10+ on occasion, but the MM are very small comparatively.

Back