Cooking pork butt and ribs on same cooker

Meatsweat Mike

Got Wood.
Name or Nickame
Mike
I’m planning on cooking a 4.8lb pork butt and 3 racks of ribs for a friends birthday this weekend and I’m a bit torn on the logistics. Obviously I want to get the pork butt way earlier, but I am trying to decide whether I just put the ribs on 4-5hrs before dinner with the pork butt and add some more wood chunks or do I pull the pork butt and finish it in the oven when I put the ribs on. My main concern is getting too much smoke on the pork butt if I add more wood towards the end of the cook as I add the ribs. At that point, theoretically, the pork butt may not take on much more smoke but I was curious on what other people have done. I’ll be cooking on a Weber summit Kamado if that matters at all.

I don't think you have an issue with too much smoke. From everything I've read, meat stops taking on smoke at a certain temp or cook time. The reason people even put bbq in an oven after smoking for some long cooks is because they know it won't take any more smoke and they are saving fuel and time tending the fire by using the oven.

Mike, I usually wrap my Pork Butt at about 150*, but normally a 9 10 lb Butt. I put my ribs on for a normal 6 hr cook, 3 / 2/ 1 . Always try to time the cook so the Butt has about an hour rest, and that hour is for the sauce to set on the ribs. It always comes down to a matter of timing / temp.

I don't think you have an issue with too much smoke. From everything I've read, meat stops taking on smoke at a certain temp or cook time. The reason people even put bbq in an oven after smoking for some long cooks is because they know it won't take any more smoke and they are saving fuel and time tending the fire by using the oven.

Another old wife's tale that needs to go away.:doh: Smoke rings stop forming after some time at ~140°F but food will take on smoke flavor until it is wrapped or taken out of the smoke.

However stick burners cook with all wood from start to finish and some of us don't wrap or put food in the oven.

Another old wife's tale that needs to go away.:doh: Smoke rings stop forming after some time at ~140°F but food will take on smoke flavor until it is wrapped or taken out of the smoke.

However stick burners cook with all wood from start to finish and some of us don't wrap or put food in the oven.

Thanks for all the feedback! The stick burner concept was what I was thinking of as rationale for just adding more wood when I put the ribs on since they’re cooking in smoke the whole time and it comes out good. In the past I’ve only cooked smaller pork butts, and am bit OCD so I’ve put them on super early and actually have my fingers crossed for a longer stall for timing purposes so I haven’t wrapped them. This isn’t a huge pork butt, and I was still thinking of going without the wrap since I’ve had good results with that in the past and will get it on the cooker quite early in the morning.

I usually don’t go too crazy with the wood chunks anyway, 2-3 for a whole pork butt and 2 for ribs. Maybe I just do 2 towards the beginning for the pork butt then another two when I throw the ribs on. Thanks again!

Well I've been educated. Thanks. That being said I've done things unwrapped for very long time on my stick burner and never thought I had too much smoke.

Back