THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I've been cooking too much, just curious to see where the common ground is. i'll have lots-o-space with the new cookers set up (going to be working off a BWS Gen 2 Party and Chubby soon).

Plan is to do 3 packs (18ish) thighs, and then a pack or two of boneless/skinless thighs for filler, 4-6 slabs, 4 butts (but will most likely cut that back to 2 hand picked ones), and one brisket. if you screw one of them up, you prolly screwed the 2nd too. And i'm not looking for the waygu stuff, i cook wet aged angus. doesn't taste like a $100 less...

one brisket. if you screw one of them up, you prolly screwed the 2nd too.
If you don't consistently turn out good brisket, that's possible. However, even with a reliable brisket process, if I taste two side-by-side I will often find that one stands out, just because brisket is a variable cut of meat. I like having that option.

A lot of you guys are only doing one brisket. Is this because you don't like to cook brisket or is it because you are confident in cranking out 1 good brisket?

I started to get some really good calls on brisket when I just concentrated on one, when I got 1st ~ 40 teams, I'm sticking with that thought, and I can afford a more expensive brisket when just buying one.

24 thighs (they come that way)
3 slabs of ribs (same reason)
2 butts, sometimes 4, if I didn't like the money muscle on the second butt in the cryovac.

12 thighs
3 racks of spares
2 butts
1 brisket

I cook these numbers because that is the quantity they are packaged in. Plus I still have a bunch of leftovers.

If you don't consistently turn out good brisket, that's possible. However, even with a reliable brisket process, if I taste two side-by-side I will often find that one stands out, just because brisket is a variable cut of meat. I like having that option.

Yup! couldn't agree more.

while were at it:

8 thighs
4 racks
4 butts (what the h3ll I got room n donate the rest)
2 flats

12-16 thighs. depends on how they look after trimming.
2 butts. both cooked to same temp for MM and chunks. they're usually not the exact same size so one is always more better(i know, rolleyes at grammar)for each application.
2 racks.
1 brisket.

simply can't process and test much more product with the time given. it'd lead to brain gridlock for me.

This post was not helpful :-D

I know, I know.

This is one of those recurring topics that must have a hundred threads already.

As far as the rule adjustments, it won't affect the quantities we cook. That is primarily determined by budget and cooker space.

12-18 thighs
3 racks baby backs
2 pork butts
2 packer briskets

That is unless I get stuck with the chicken trimming and then it might be a lot more cause I suck at trimming chicken.

We're about the same
Used to do 2 briskets, 2 butts, and six racks but have knocked that back to 3 racks and only 1 brisket. I regret it sometimes bit saves $$$

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I897 using Tapatalk 2

Back